2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Is there a light at the end of the Z28 tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
That would involve starting at ground zero with the feds for crash testing certification...it aint gonna happen at that kind of expense for re-engineering everything to make the feds happy.
thats what i thought. someone had just said something about replaceing the fenders with fiberglass.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by IZ28
There's no reason to not sell the Z28. The car is done, alot of money probably went into making the car, and they'll probably turn a profit on them. The Volt, which no one will really wanna buy unless gas goes crazy again, is what they'll lose money on. Gas is cheap right now and people want exciting cars, this is the perfect time to release the Z28. The V6 and SS are pretty good on gas, we need one car that's all about pure fun and performance in the lineup.
i think i would be a little disapointed if they brought the z28 out in a year or so. im buying a 2ss and would love to have the z28 but i just cant wait that long and i know i would lose my *** if i traded it in when the z came out. i just wish it were coming out at the launch or at least if they said a date when it was coming out.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 AM

I really don't see the Z coming out at all with the current economic climate. And if and when it improves, if the price of gas is back up then THAT will keep it from coming out. The days of even appearing to be climately or green unconcious are over for GM. (not that I think they are) They have sold thier soul to the liberal congress. Now they have to at least look like they care about the "agenda".
I think we should get on our knees and thank God that even the SS was ALLOWED to be released and be grateful.

Last edited by christianjax; 02-20-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
I really don't see the Z coming out at all with the current economic climate. And if and when it improves, if the price of gas is back up then THAT will keep it from coming out. The days of even appearing to be climately or green unconcious are over for GM. (not that I think they are) They have sold thier soul to the liberal congress. Now they have to at least look like they care about the "agenda".
I think we should get on our knees and thank God that even the SS was ALLOWED to be released and be grateful.
I agree. And we should be thankful for GMPP so we can make our own version of a Z and still keep some kind of warranty. And I know the LSA and LS9 crate motors will be available soon.

http://video.lsxtv.com/video_detail.php?mId=5864

Check out what he said at the end about stage kits and how 625 hp is not enough.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM

i agree.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

I keep thinking the same thing. Sure a Z28 would be nice, but we should just be grateful for even having the same at all, and especially a 426HP SS!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM

I'm wondering if you can get your GM dealer to install the GMPP hot cam (essentially making the LS3 an LS376/480) would that void the factory warranty?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
also the paint that is put on the rims give it a little bit of weight compared to a regular polished wheel.
Am I the only one that caught this? You'd save more total weight by taking a leak before you get in the car.

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Some of the most positive payoff weight reductions in a vehicle are the unsprung weight. This also include reducing the mass' distance from the rotational center point.
Pound for pound and ounce for ounce, the most important thing is unsprung rotating mass (i.e. wheels, tires, and brake rotors).

That's followed by sprung rotating mass (rotating assembly, moving parts in the trans, driveshaft, and moving parts in the rear), which is in turn followed by unsprung non-rotating mass (brake calipers, control arms, etc).

Sprung, non-rotating mass (interior stuff, body panels, etc) are last on the list.

And, as Paul said, in the case of rotating mass, whether sprung or unsprung, if you can't reduce weight, it also helps to move weight closer to the axis of rotation.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Am I the only one that caught this? You'd save more total weight by taking a leak before you get in the car.

Pound for pound and ounce for ounce, the most important thing is unsprung rotating mass (i.e. wheels, tires, and brake rotors).

That's followed by sprung rotating mass (rotating assembly, moving parts in the trans, driveshaft, and moving parts in the rear), which is in turn followed by unsprung non-rotating mass (brake calipers, control arms, etc).

Sprung, non-rotating mass (interior stuff, body panels, etc) are last on the list.

And, as Paul said, in the case of rotating mass, whether sprung or unsprung, if you can't reduce weight, it also helps to move weight closer to the axis of rotation.
i know its not alot of weight but every aftermarket WHEEL manufacturer (that i have talked to)has said that the finish does add some weight to it. as little as it may be.