2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thumbs up TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS

Last night I took my car to a shop in Westland, MI called Jory's Race and Custom. There I met some friends of mine who have local company called TechAFX. They are a company is made up of OEM engineers and people who have been in the biz for a long time and they make some interesting products for the 5th gen Camaro (I'll get to that in a minute). They wanted to use my Camaro to test fit the Holley LS coil covers.

Since I have the Magnacharger, I cannot use the "trash can" lid and I wanted something a bit different than the modded version of it to cover those awfully ugly coils and junk. The Holley LS covers do not come fitted, you need to cut them to fit the application. Tech AFX is working on making templates to make the job easier (for both Magnacharged and n/a setups), but they needed a car to start with for the Maggie Camaro so they asked me to assist. I couldn't say no, considering they will be placing my car in the Holley display at this weekend's LS Fest in Bowling Green on Saturday! (If anyone is going, let me know so we can meet up!)

While we were there, we decided to install their 2010 Camaro LS Hose Relo Kit (for blower cars). I had been planning on doing it anyway, so it was the perfect time since their team was already there.

It comes with the following...

• Heater hose relocation kit - Moves the ugly factory hoses to a better location. I think this should have been done from the factory. I have seen a lot of 5th gen Camaros with them on.
  • LS Evap line - Relocates that as well. Good thing I did this! Under the Maggie reservoir and heater hoses, we discovered that the factory evap line was crimped...pretty much folded in half! (see pics in second post)
  • 2010 Camaro Supercharger Fuel Line - A MUST FOR ANYONE RUNNING A SUPERCHARGER IN THEIR 5th GEN CAMARO! - The fuel line that comes from aftermarket blower kits is a very critical and potentially dangerous part to not be 100% top notch. Testing has shown that this line is susceptible to failure...which means high pressure fuel being sprayed under your hood. I was pretty shocked when I heard this. To demonstrate...we took the fuel line I already had on my car and found we could easily twist/rotate the ends in the tube. And even worse...on one end...we could nearly pull it out of the hose with our bare hands and without removing the clamps. Check yours!!

They all look much better and the Tech AFX guys spent a lot of time explaining that their stuff is made in the U.S. by an OEM supplier and why it is in some cases, better than factory quality. This is peace of mind for me when I think about that fuel line...

We also relocated the Magnacharger reservoir tank to a cleaner (and seemingly more popular) location...right in front of the brake master cylinder. I have been wanting to do that as well for a while. Not to mention, we discovered that an O2 sensor wire behind the passenger cylinder head was touching the header tube. Sooner or later...that would have left me stuck and scratching my head.

Everyone knows I won't put junk on my Camaro, and what I like is that every piece made by TechAFX is tested, inspected, and validated. I didn't need instructions since they were installing them for me, but they have basically foolproof installation instructions on their web site. The end result is a much cleaner (and safer!) engine bay. Glad I let them use my car for the LS coil cover guinea pig!

Anyway...see the pics attached to this thread of the coil covers installed and everything cleaned up. Some are before and some are after. The covers are NOT yet painted. They wanted the car to display what they look like bare/unpainted, just trimmed to fit. After LS Fest, I will have them painted a custom color...but I don't think they look bad at all as they are.

Tell me what you all think...and check your O2 wires, factory evap line, and aftermarket fuel line!!!
Attached Thumbnails TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-covers_before.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-covers_after.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-covers_1.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-covers_2.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-covers_3.jpg  

Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARN

More pics...two showing the crimped factory evap line. If you look closely, you can see the O2 sensor wire hanging down to the header tube in the pic with the factory evap line still installed.
Attached Thumbnails TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-hose_relo_kit.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-crimped_evap_line.jpg   TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARNINGS-crimped_evap_line_2.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Re: TechAFX Hose Relocation & Holley LS Coil Covers - Fuel/Evap Line & O2 Sensor WARN

I actually like the unpainted look.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Those will look good painted - people will think you have a blown big block in there.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

That was kinda my issue. I was at first concerned that it will sorta "fake" a big-block look...which it does to a degree but I don't think it is too "poser" looking. Definitely looked better that what I imagined.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Does the O2 Sensor wire hang down on factory manifolds?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Does the O2 Sensor wire hang down on factory manifolds?
I doubt it. I don't think there is a time where anything should be touching that. My case could have been a broken fastener or something not quite right with my Magnacharger installation.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

looks nice and clean. what kind of pricing? im guessing this is the first one?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

They are around 170 bucks for the pair. They are not the first one, but they might be the first to be trimmed for a Magnacharger.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

TechAFX wanted me in their booth. The car and their stuff got a lot of attention at LS Fest, it was pretty cool.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

So my images above are broken...have to see if I can get that fixed....but here's an interesting update...

Here is what the guys from TechAFX recently e-mailed to me...

Ya might want to post this on C/Z28 to help warn the guys out there about using rubber hoses for fuel lines (ESP that Braided Stainless Chinese sh*t that's out there).

Jeff's Chevelle was rebuilt over the last 6-7 months & he was excited to drive the old girl with the new engine. As you'll see, the 1 year old, rubber SS fuel lines made life very exciting, VERY QUICKLY as he pulled the car out of the garage last week.

We have posted it on our site & Youtube:

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2242& transactionid=1324340055-67149162160&posted_by=JasonD_www.camaroz28.com&you tube_video_id=QkuopDCny4s[/autostream]

Kinda make your jaw drop... doesn't it?
I will not ever, ever, ever cheap out on ANYTHING that involves the transfer of fuel. Factory is fine...aftermarket...well...I don't want to roll the dice on anything that isn't top-notch. TechAFX all the way for me. They make more stuff that I will probably install soon.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
So my images above are broken...have to see if I can get that fixed....but here's an interesting update...

Here is what the guys from TechAFX recently e-mailed to me...

I will not ever, ever, ever cheap out on ANYTHING that involves the transfer of fuel. Factory is fine...aftermarket...well...I don't want to roll the dice on anything that isn't top-notch. TechAFX all the way for me. They make more stuff that I will probably install soon.
i thought you were selling your car?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

I took it off the for sale block several weeks ago. If someone makes me an offer on it that I cannot refuse...done...but I just decided to no longer actively promote the sale of it.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM

ahhhh....goood choice. its a pretty bad *** car.