2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS to sneak in under $30K

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
so what more "content" does the G8 have exactly? i missed that part of your post.
How about 2 more doors?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
How about 2 more doors?
HAHAHA try again.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM

HAHAHA try again.
Oh I know, non functional hood scoops? D'OH!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM

so what more "content" does the G8 have exactly? i missed that part of your post.
You must not have read my post at all then. How many interior trim levels on a G8? I will try to go through this real slow since you are a mustang guy.

-Geoff
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
How about 2 more doors?
Actually, that is definitely a content increase. If you have two interiors - one with two doors and one with four, which one is cheaper to build? The individual parts might be slightly less because of raw material cost, but it is double the labor to assemble and double the tooling cost.

Is the content concept starting to make sense yet?

-Geoff
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Actually, that is definitely a content increase. If you have two interiors - one with two doors and one with four, which one is cheaper to build? The individual parts might be slightly less because of raw material cost, but it is double the labor to assemble and double the tooling cost.

-Geoff
using the civic as an example, the cost of adding two doors is ~$430. Where's the rest of it? At this point, the Camaro has higher "content", using a premium engine and transmission that will be $35-38k in the GXP among other things.

the G8 GT isn't under 30k starting.

again, what "higher content" does the G8 GT have that warrants it to cost MORE than the Camaro SS?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:35 PM

using the civic as an example, the cost of adding two doors is ~$430. Where's the rest of it? At this point, the Camaro has higher "content", using a premium engine and transmission that will be $35-38k in the GXP among other things.

again, what "higher content" does the G8 GT have that warrants it to cost MORE than the Camaro SS?
Th point regarding assembly time/cost and tooling cost is valid. I see your point about the LS3, but the transmission in the G8 GT and SS are the same, also shared with the STS-V and Corvette. Similarly, the LS3 is shared with the Corvette and will be in the GXP, so that helps.

However, the biggest thing on the Camaro's side compared to the G8 is VOLUME!!!!

The G8 isnt under $30k starting??? Someone forgot to tell Pontiac.

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/build-your-own/

Even fully optioned, its still cheaper than a fully optioned Mustang GT.

Last edited by ZZtop; 08-28-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Holy crap! Everyone talks about the Mustang GT in terms of base prices, which we alway seam to round down, like we say $28k for a GT Premium, which is actually $29,520 after destination. Have any of you actually gone to Fords website and built one of these things?!?!

http://www83.forddirect.fordvehicles...rimSelectFlash

I just built mine, which is moderately loaded and does NOT include the Bullitt package or California Special, nor the glass roof option, nor navigation. I also did NOT add any accessories. My 300hp Mustang GT came out to a cost of $34,415 with a manual transmission.

Adding an automatic, navigation and the glass roof brought the price to $37,755

I had no idea the Mustang GT could get that expensive.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Wow, you are just in left field now. If you have two cars that are basically the same, except one has two foors and one has four, the two door costs less to build. That is my point about content. You know the cars both have basically the same powertrain, right?

Wrong. Just plain wrong. Go to the Pontiac Website and build your own. Base G8 is 29,995 with the V8.

Doors.

If I didn't know better, I would think you are just trying to start an argument at this point.

-Geoff
Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM

FYI, on the site http://truedelta.com, they have a price comparison feature which accounts for different features and options.

The Mustang GT Premium seems to come in a couple grand under the G8 GT, but the G8 has a bunch of things the Mustang doesn't (side curtain airbags, climate control, stability control, tilt/telescope). Net those, its about a wash.

Last edited by flowmotion; 08-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:45 PM

-Geoff
oh really kinda like the price difference between the Charger SRT and Challenger SRT?
The 2-door Challenger actualy costs $105 MORE MSRP! whaaaaaaaaat?!?!there goes your theory

Last edited by MauriSSio; 08-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Wow, you are just in left field now. If you have two cars that are basically the same, except one has two foors and one has four, the two door costs less to build. That is my point about content. You know the cars both have basically the same powertrain, right?

Wrong. Just plain wrong. Go to the Pontiac Website and build your own. Base G8 is 29,995 with the V8.

Doors.

If I didn't know better, I would think you are just trying to start an argument at this point.

-Geoff
Earth to WhiteHawk, you do know that pricing was for the last model year, right? In the car world, it's '09 now. The '09s have rolled out.

And the Camaro does have more content. It has those cool little gauges, some neato 20' wheels, wider tires, an LS3 engine, 40-60 hp more (which is actually MORE powerfull than the G8's PREMIUM engine) some interior mood lighting, much MUCH larger brakes (which the rears are actually LARGER than the G8's PREMIUM model) and a supposed stronger rear end (mag article said it was an 8.5 while the G8's is an 8.3). But I guess either that's all free, or G8 owners are getting torn a new one by GM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Holy crap! Everyone talks about the Mustang GT in terms of base prices, which we alway seam to round down, like we say $28k for a GT Premium, which is actually $29,520 after destination. Have any of you actually gone to Fords website and built one of these things?!?!

http://www83.forddirect.fordvehicles...rimSelectFlash

I just built mine, which is moderately loaded and does NOT include the Bullitt package or California Special, nor the glass roof option, nor navigation. I also did NOT add any accessories. My 300hp Mustang GT came out to a cost of $34,415 with a manual transmission.

Adding an automatic, navigation and the glass roof brought the price to $37,755

I had no idea the Mustang GT could get that expensive.

Bud, read back to my post to which you replied.......that was my point
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
oh really kinda like the price difference between the Charger SRT and Challenger SRT?
The 2-door Challenger actualy costs $105 MORE MSRP! whaaaaaaaaat?!?!there goes your theory
Cheaper to build doesn't mean they always pass it along. I think $30,000 is a price target GM wants to be under, and I think they will pass it along and meet that target. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back a few pages, this thread was about about the Camaro coming in under $30k. I still think it can, and I say that because a base G8 with a V8 comes in at $29,995.

-Geoff
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM

ACTUALLY i was looking at the MSRP's and the 4 door Civic LX costs $200 more than the 2-door and the EX version of the 4 door costs only $9 more then the 2door version..........

Quick Reply: SS to sneak in under $30K