2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

So is it going to look diffrent than the Pics?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM

Re: So is it going to look diffrent than the Pics?!?!?

What I would like to know is what some would call modern look.
Something that looks like all the other cars out there now which most of them I would not be caught dead in. All of them have no real shape to them
and what some of us may call retro or looking like a 69 some most people buying them don't even remember a 69 unless they saw one at a car show. I remember a 69 only because I was around then and had a 69 new and loved it. To most but the hard core it will be a new design
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 AM

does this clay model:

look like the final concept?

the details are the same, but the proportions are way off
there can be a lot of changes between a clay model and a finished product..
Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 AM

Modern could be several things.
Example. Modern was when the 1982 Camaro came out, and won Car of the Year awards up and down with its design. Did it look like a 69? No. Did it look like anything else out there? No. Did it borrow from other designs? Nope. 1970, new redone Camaro is done again, looking NOTHING like the first gen, and outside of several drive train parts, nothing changes. The car looked modern, and copied off European and the Vette to offer us a Camaro.
To be "modern" doesnt mean that it has to be dull or boring.
IMO, a "modern" Camaro should take design elements from European GT cars such as the Ferrari 612, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 6 series, and other sleek coupes, and combine it with design elements of the Corvette to keep the family look together. Throw in a dash of Camaro DNA to give it an American look, and tada!!
It gives people a new fresh design, makes the 2 "retro" cars look old already, and puts the Camaro ahead of the game design wise. Its gunna come down to who can draw the most attention. HP wars will always be left to the die hards, but design is what will win the hearts of the non-enthusiasts.
I would deffinatly rather buy a Camaro that looked like DB9/612 over a 1969.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM

And in other news .....

..... have you guys seen the new Challenger concept?! I saw a leaked pic here .....

Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
And in other news .....

..... have you guys seen the new Challenger concept?! I saw a leaked pic here .....

Hey!! There's a production model behind the clay!!!

No.........wait.......... it's just the one they are copying for the new model.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:32 AM

The designer of the Challenger is an F-body owner!! He drives a 1970 Camaro to work every day.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by FS3800
does this clay model:

That clay actually looks much further along that the clay I saw of the C6. The c6 basic shape stayed the same, but the details were all changed. This Challenger pic looks pretty darn close comparitively speaking.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 AM

I was watching American Muscle Car on Speed channel last night, and it gave me a better understanding of how the Mustang vs. Camaro war has pretty much defined the car's existence. The cars are similar because they should be similar. The Camaro wouldn't exist w/out the stang. Fortunately for us, Behind the scenes at GM in the late 60s and early 70s were people who cared about the car and its image, and they made it better than the Ford and proved it on the racetrack!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
yeah it looks a hell of a lot lighter too

Big deal a FEW people saw the concept.
I don't remember a big challenger unveiling but DCX isn't whining.

I do worry even if they get it right and people want to buy it GM may still have a hard time selling it.
In 2002 the only other pony car was the mustang and the Camaro killed it power wise, but still couldn't outsell it.
Now the Camaro has to compete with a 5.4supercharged mustang, an SRT-8 charger, a 425+Hp challenger. Thats a lot of ways to divide about the same amount of buyers. No one may win the selling numbers war.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I do worry even if they get it right and people want to buy it GM may still have a hard time selling it.
In 2002 the only other pony car was the mustang and the Camaro killed it power wise, but still couldn't outsell it.
Now the Camaro has to compete with a 5.4supercharged mustang, an SRT-8 charger, a 425+Hp challenger. Thats a lot of ways to divide about the same amount of buyers. No one may win the selling numbers war.

i think GM has to worry more about v-6 versions of the Mustang, Charger, and (don't know if they are gonna make one, seems doubtful) Challenger. the car has to be better overall more than it needs to be the best top dog.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Unfortunately it's likely that a lot of the 'hard points' have been already set in stone, and this concept reflects that. In other words, the final product cannot change drastically from the leaked pictures.

It's too bad GM didn't have the ***** and/or creativity to come up with something more advanced than a rehashed '69 . Given the general population's image of Camaros being for mullet-wearing rednecks, well, this design isn't going to change any perceptions or win any new customers. It's too bad: a fresh, new, modern design could have done wonders for Camaro's image and actually redefined how people think about pony cars. Instead GM decided to pander to an ever-shrinking fan base and forego progress. Don't be surprised when sales fall off the cliff after the first couple years of production.
Why do I get the feeling like I'm just about the only other guy on this site who also feels this way???

Seriously though, I could not agree more. I've already long stated (very firmly) how anti-retro I've been in regards to a new generation Camaro, so mostly going that way wouldn't help my interests in buying one. And before you all jump all over me, yes, I've seen the clay, and while I know it will be tweaked up some, I'm still skeptical. I didn't care for the clay model (even imagining some key improvements). I don't know, it would have just been so damn cool if GM could have come out with a drop-dead gorgeous, yet MODERN day looking Camaro that completely evolved into its OWN new style from the previous 4th generation (which I still adore to this very day). Just blows my mind away that they have to basically go backwards instead of forwards...

Mike

P.S. I'll reserve my final judgement until I see the actual concept on Monday, but as of now, it isn't looking to good from my point of view. Oh well, you can't please us all, correct?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:29 AM

does this clay model:

That's an early clay model. Before the realities of cost came into play. The car grew to fit the production chassis.

I believe the opposite happened with Camaro (large body from the original Zeta being shrunk for the shorter C6Z).
Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed

No.........wait.......... it's just the one they are copying for the new model.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
That's an early clay model. Before the realities of cost came into play.
Also before they really came to terms with vintage Mopar styling elements, looks like.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Anyone notice the wheels on that clay? Looks like cardboard cutouts.

Quick Reply: So is it going to look diffrent than the Pics?!?!?