2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: What badge should the Camaro have?
Displacemant #(ex.z28/350) and Z28/???
10.00%
Liter #(ex.z28/6.2L) and Z28/7.0L
6.67%
Z28 and SS
61.67%
Z28 and ZL1
13.33%
SS >( and Z28
8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Z/28 Return as High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Z/28 Return as High Performance

It's a official that the Camaro Z/28 will be the top car to have(which you all know by now). My problem with that is the SS known as Chevy top performance line up will be the middle man v8 Camaro (which does fit; it's like Chrysler taking the SRT line up and making it below the RT line up.) I think the Camaro should come up with it's own badge and leave the SS line in it's own separate division.

Last edited by downwithmustang; 08-30-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM

Re: Z/28 Return as High Performance

The SS and Z28 both need to stay. The Camaro wouldnt be right with out either one of them. I think they are doing because the Z06 is the top Corvette and the Z28 is the equivalent to it. I know that there are rumors about there possibly being a Corvette SS or Z07 (based on C6 race car) in the making so i dont know how this will affect it. Maybe they wont even bring the SS back...but i doubt it with the rest of the Chevy line up having an SS package (Malibu, Cobalt, Impala, Silverado....) I hope for all of the badges to be retained. Who knows maybe a Z29?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:21 PM

It is? When was this officially announced? I have seen some "Winky Club" references, but nothing thus far. (not flaming, just haven't seen it) ??? If they do it, how about a Z/28 on top and an HP rating below like the Z06 does. This ties in the two cars as performance brothers, but keeps the individualism associated with each car.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoz35thSS
It is? When was this officially announced? I have seen some "Winky Club" references, but nothing thus far. (not flaming, just haven't seen it) ??? If they do it, how about a Z/28 on top and an HP rating below like the Z06 does. This ties in the two cars as performance brothers, but keeps the individualism associated with each car.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467587
Old 08-30-2006, 12:28 PM

I dont understnad WTF you are talking about.......

Yes the Z28 will be the top car ala Z06......Yes the SS will be the creature comfort V8 car.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by downwithmustang
It's a official that the Camaro Z/28 will be the top car to have(which you all know by now). My problem with that is the SS known as Chevy top performance line up will be the middle man v8 Camaro (which does fit; it's like Chrysler taking the SRT line up and making it below the RT line up.) I think the Camaro should come up with it's own badge and leave the SS line in it's own separate division.
I'm with Stars on this. I'm not sure what in the world you're talking about.

Sure we have it on good source that there's going to be a individual Z28 package coming out. But there's been no official word on it, there's been no GM exec who mentioned it publicly, Fbodfather hasn't even posted anything describing the car. As far as we know, the Z28 could be a decontented SS with a track package and a lower price or it could be loaded to the teeth.

SS and Z28 have traditionally had different roles. Z28 is the track car, SS has been more fancy and a bit of a drag car.

Finally, again, not sure what you mean about Camaro coming up with it's own badge. Also, SS IS NOT it's own division. Never was.

I'm guessing you're pretty young and haven't really looked into the history of Z28, SS, Camaro in general, or GM's current setup. Chevrolet doesn't have a separate performance division the way SRT is. That was pioneered by Ford in the 1980s as SVO.

GM has a performance division called simply GM Performance Division. They did the Cadillac V series lineup, Corvette's Z06, Cobalt SS, the upcoming Lacrosse Ultra, Pontiac's Grand Prix GXP, and the Saturn Ion Redline. They were involved to a far lesser degree in the Malibu SS and not at all on Impala and Monte Carlo SS.

The Camaro and Corvette are under the same managers, and therefore will have that group's influence in handling and performance development. This will likely include the SS.

IF there is a "super", track developed Camaro, then it's likely to have GMPD's prints on it.

Hope that clears up things, because you confused the daylights out of me.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Hardly official.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:34 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by downwithmustang
there is nothing official on this.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Whether it is offical or not, the Z28 should always be the "ultimate" Camaro. As someone very close to this post (look up) said, "Any Chevrolet can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28".
Old 08-30-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
Whether it is offical or not, the Z28 should always be the "ultimate" Camaro. As someone very close to this post (look up) said, "Any Chevrolet can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28".
I am so tired of people saying that.

I dont care what it "should be" in all of your minds.

I care what it will be.

You dont know what it is, you wont know what it is for a while, and everyone stop telling people what it should be. So STFU.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:19 PM

I don't see why people get all hyped up about the badging for this car. I also don't understand the importance of the Z28 badge.
"Any car can be an SS, but only the Camaro is a Z28" or however you say it. How is this badge any different than the Z24 or the Z26? It's just a name.
FWIW, I don't care if they call the top Camaro the "My Little Pony" edition, JUST BUILD IT!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Funny how I've seen a few threads where someone is spouting off that it has been confirmed that the Z28 will be the top dog, yet no one can provide a link or a source.

Then we have this:

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Old 08-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
I don't care too much which model is the "top" car, but if it turns out the Z28 is the higher model, it will confuse a lot of people. I realize that the Z28 may have been the top performer in the first gen, but what about over the past 30 years? Was Z28 not the definition of what it should have been? If so, then why was the first several years more important than the last 30?

Also, when someone asks which model will be the top dog, why do some of you spout back with "Of COURSE it will be the Z28, do you not know anything about Camaros at all??". To some people, that may come across as a little arrogant.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:37 PM

The Z28 should not be top of the line model. To be true to it's roots, maybe the ultimate handling car with a special motor. The ZL1 should be the ultimate Camaro as the Z06 is to the Vette.

If I were in charge at GM, the Camaro lineup would look like this.
Base V6/Base 5.3 - $20k V6/$23k V8 (for RS option add $2k)
Base V6 vert/Base 5.3 vert - $25k V6 vert/$28k V8 vert (for RS option add $2k)
SS 6.0 or 6.2 (400/425/450hp depending on what's out at the time) - $29k (for RS option add $2k)
SS 6.0 or 6.2 V8 vert - $33k (for RS option add $2k)
Z28 (1LE type suspension w/ 6.0 or 6.2 making 400/425/450hp) - $27.5k (for RS option add $2k)
ZL1 7.0 (could be plain jane car all the way to fully optioned w/ 505hp) -$40k (for RS option add $2k)
ZL1 7.0 V8 vert - $45k (for RS option add $2k)
Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM

guionM, Woah man! Let's not assume that this person is young just because they are a little off. I've run across plenty of guys/ladies much older than myself than know jack about the Camaro, past, present, or future. As far as the model designation, the only thing confirmed from all of this is that nothing is confirmed-Fbodfather.

Quick Reply: Z/28 Return as High Performance