2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Right-hand-drive Camaro confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM

Right-hand-drive Camaro confirmed

GENEVA: Right-hand-drive Camaro confirmed
8 March 2007 |

The reborn Camaro is coming to the UK in right-hand drive, a Chevrolet chief has confirmed.

The brand's European executive director Wayne Brannon said: "The car is due for launch in America in 2009 and as soon as that's out of the way, and we can provide the product, we will."

The coupe - so far seen only as a 'concept' is powered by the same six-litre V8 that's in the recently announced Australian-built Holden Commodore VXR8 rebadged as a Vauxhall for the UK and, with a few more changes, as a Pontiac for the US.

Brannon would give no clues on Camaro pricing other than saying it would be "competitive".

Although the focus in Europe is primarily on the UK, a RHD go-ahead for the Camaro is sure to result in a queue from GM distributors in other right-hand-drive markets looking for a 'halo' car for their showrooms. Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand all also take RHD cars and Holden already exports small numbers of its big V6 and V8-powered Commodores - some badged Chevrolet - to some of those territories.

However, the retro-styled HHR is one Chevrolet not coming to RHD dealers any time soon. This North American market PT Cruiser look-alike was unveiled for European markets at the Geneva motor show.

Brannon said the lack of RHD would not stop him shipping a few examples across the channel. He said: "I would like to show it in the UK to some dealers as a styling study and brand image car. I would like to get their thoughts because there will be a next generation of that product. And when there is, it will be designed with right-hand drive and diesel engines."

Company sources said the redesigned vehicle is probably four or five years away.

RHD North American-made Chevrolets have been rare since production of a big car line headed by the Impala ended in Canada in 1969. Chevrolet Europe more recently tried selling a US factory-built Blazer SUV with RHD in the UK but sales did not meet expectations, primarily due to the lack of the diesel option essential over here.

Brannon revealed there is still life in two of the oldest products Chevy inherited when it bought Daewoo a few years ago.

He added: "The Tacuma compact MPV will eventually be replaced, but our choices are that we leave a gap for two or three years [while that car is redesigned] or we extend it in key markets such as the UK. No decision has been made yet.

"And Matiz [the entry-level city car] will continue to be offered. It's a cute car and the right size for the market. It also offers things that others don't such as an 800cc automatic. We think it's got legs."
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Pretty cool. Hopefully the RHD Camaro will do better in sales then other RHD Chevys of the past.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Are diesel powered cars big in Europe? Does GM have a diesel to put in a car?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro1996
Diesel powered cars are HUGE in Europe.

I can not imagine that they would sell many gas powered v-8 Camaros in Europe with the price of gas over there. When i was there 4 years ago gas was like 1.50 euros for a LITER! And that was when gas was still selling for like $1.50/gal here.... I can not imagine what it will cost to drive a V-8 Camaro, even if it is getting an average of 20 mpg.

I talked to a guy who lives over there recently and he said they pay around $8/gal for gas.... ouch!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM

I think diesel is onlymore efficient when you compare it with the cost of gasoline.

Any other time I beleive that 2000rpm is 2000rpms. Wether it's gas or diesel, you're still using the same amount of fuel.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
I think diesel is onlymore efficient when you compare it with the cost of gasoline.

Any other time I beleive that 2000rpm is 2000rpms. Wether it's gas or diesel, you're still using the same amount of fuel.
Do you know what the compression ratio is on a typical diesel? There is certainly more thermal efficiency just in that.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 AM

Well that's not even true for all gasoline engines...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 AM

gas likes 14:1 af ratio where diesel gets like 80:1
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro1996
Last I heard diesels make up more than 50 percent of new car sales in Europe.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
gas likes 14:1 af ratio where diesel gets like 80:1
Right, but the way he said it was that all gasoline engines use the same amount of fuel at 2000 rpms...and they don't. Gas is 14.7:1 and I thought diesel was in the 70's, but you're probably right.

I'm just saying, not trying to hurt anyone.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM

A Diesel Camaro?

Survey says NO!

Petrol FTW!

I've been driving LHD for 5 years now, although its tricky sometimes for overtaking, given the choice I'd probably like to stick with LHD.

I'll be taking one of the imported US models please, especially if a Euro version will be a RHD diesel.

Petrol here is currently £0.84 pence/litre which is $1.6/litre, yes it sucks, but its an acceptable expence.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Well if that were the case then we'd all be driving Deisels already. If a car company can say that their vehicle gets more miles out of it because it uses less fuel and has the same power as a comparable gasoline version, then I'm sure I'd see a few out here. I mean, Priuses/Pri were reported to get 50mpg. Reported, not saying it's true. And people loved them for that. So why is a diesel not offered to me right now?

So, 80:1, alright, so you are using about 5.7 times less the amount of fuel right? Yeah, so that means you should get about 5.7 times more out of a full tank. But yet, I don't here of people going over 1000 miles on one tank, so where does 80:1 become greater for car engines? Thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is just plain pointless to argue, I beleive, because how hot your engine gets doesn't exactly change how much fuel you use. Or if the case is how much of that fuel is burned either. Because no car uses the same
leftover gas int he exhaust. EGR is very similar, but that's mixed in with the clean air, please correct me if I am wrong.

So please tell me how diesel is more efficient in how much fuel the injectors spray over a gasoline engine.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Well if that were the case then we'd all be driving Deisels already. If a car company can say that their vehicle gets more miles out of it because it uses less fuel and has the same power as a comparable gasoline version, then I'm sure I'd see a few out here. I mean, Priuses/Pri were reported to get 50mpg. Reported, not saying it's true. And people loved them for that. So why is a diesel not offered to me right now?

So, 80:1, alright, so you are using about 5.7 times less the amount of fuel right? Yeah, so that means you should get about 5.7 times more out of a full tank. But yet, I don't here of people going over 1000 miles on one tank, so where does 80:1 become greater for car engines? Thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is just plain pointless to argue, I beleive, because how hot your engine gets doesn't exactly change how much fuel you use. Or if the case is how much of that fuel is burned either. Because no car uses the same
leftover gas int he exhaust. EGR is very similar, but that's mixed in with the clean air, please correct me if I am wrong.

So please tell me how diesel is more efficient in how much fuel the injectors spray over a gasoline engine.
There are several diesels planned for US production cars in the near future, though the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mercedes' Bluetec diesel, which will soon be in both M-B's and a few Chrysler models (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here ). From what I've read, the newest, direct-injected diesels in Europe produce more torque and less hp than their gasoline counterparts, and generally with an increase in fuel efficiency.

I don't know exactly what/how a diesel gets better fuel economy than a gasoline engine, but I know it's not solely related to compression ratio, i.e. an increase in compression by a factor of 5.7 isn't going to net an increase in fuel economy of the same magnitude.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM

More thermally efficient engines net higher fuel efficiency. What I was referring to was not the combustion ratio for the fuel, but the fact that a diesel engine usually runs on a much higher compression ratio, even with it's turbos. More compression means more power out of the same amount of fuel. There are other reasons diesels get better numbers, but this is what I was referring to.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Okay, so really all diesels just get more power over gasoline engines on average then while still using the same amount of fuel?

So instead of wasting X^2 more fuel in gas engine to make YHp, you can use X amount of fuel in a diesel to make YHp.

Okay so what I was arguing really didn't matter as I now assume you guys are talking performance numbers, and not fuel efficiency in terms of mpg.

Uhh, my bad I guess.

Quick Reply: Right-hand-drive Camaro confirmed