2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Redplanet and GM: Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 AM

Re: To Redplanet and GM: Thanks!

That was the best post I've read in a long, long time! I needed to hear everything you just said Scott! THANK YOU!!!

Most people don't understand what words like that mean to an enthusiast like us. Guys, who have lived and dreamed Camaro all of their lives. But you do! and that screams top class to me, becaue I know that I have someone who understands me and is fighting for all of us to bring back the thing which we love... "The Camaro!"

Someday, I will meet you... I have to... just to say Thank You in person for all of your hard work.

-Aric
Lincoln, NE

Last edited by ADV1; 12-06-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 AM

Red,

That reply just brought a tear to my eye.....

edit: I'm currently trying to convince my fiancee to come with me sometime during the public part of the show

Last edited by tls2000; 12-06-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
thank you all for the kind words.

It's been tough over the years....knowing that the 4th gen would be put to pasture....that a plant would be closed........and worse, I couldn't say much of anything to you other than "keep the faith."

I think what most people don't realize is that when I said "keep the faith" there was credibility attached to that statement. If I said that.....and nothing ever happened, I'm sure that at some point in time, there would be a posse in my front yard........with a rope....and burning torches........(and you get the idea) Therefore, I started with the "Read my book"........

I can honestly say -- as I have been for quite some time -- that the future, INDEED looks very bright.

AS to the Mustang helping the Camaro along.......you betcha. Would we have done a Camaro anyway? Well.....who knows.......but I can tell you that there are dealers like my friends:
Greg Heinrich (Fairway Chevy)
Darrell McCutcheon (Reliable Chevy)
Matt Berger (Berger Chevy)
Tom Henry (Tom Henry Chevrolet)
Steve West (West Chevy)
Bill Heard (Bill Heard Dealerships)
Rollie Purifoy (Purifoy Chevy)
Jeff Cauley (Jack Cauley Chevy)
John Rampone (Ramp Chevrolet)
George Moore (Geo Moore Chevy)

and even Jim Perkins.....former VP of GM and General Manager of Chevrolet Motor Division who is now retired and working for the Hendrick organization...and their many Chevy Dealerships.............
......Every time......and I DO MEAN EVERYTIME they had an audience with the top men and women at GM, the Camaro issue came up. They demanded a new Camaro. You can bet that the hiatus of the Camaro affected these dealers in more than one way. First...they all have a passion for the Camaro......moreover, they sold a LOT of Camaros.....and when Camaro went away...so did some profit!

(a tidbit....I was visiting one of the Bill Heard Dealerships back in late 2001.....they had over 130 new Camaros in stock...and were gonna order more.....and Bill's son came out to see me and said "Mr. Settlemire...if you continue to build the Camaro, our 24 dealerships will buy every one of them!" (Talk about "Hard to say 'no' to someone!) But it was not possible to keep the car in production for several reasons.)

In a way, the past couple of years have been hell.
I knew it would be.

I suppose that I could have transferred over to other Brands (turned a couple of jobs down)......but I chose to ride the Camaro out to the end.

Do I regret it?

NO.

Was it painful?
Boy Howdy.

Did I leave the office on many a night so depressed and defeated that I sometimes questioned if I was sane?

Yep.

But you know what?

I wouldn't change what I did.

When you love something that invokes a passion.....you do what you have to do.

Moreover, every time I meet one of you...
........and you tell me about your Camaro (or Firebird) and I see that certain 'gleam' in your eyes....and the passion you show for these cars........I know it was the right thing to do.

I don't mean to imply that I'm the only one that felt that way.....far from it. I know John Heinricy for one felt just as bad as I about the cars going on hiatus........and many many more just like him. I guess my sorry face is just a little more visible than most...............

I know many of you can hardly wait for January 9.

Well guess what?

I can hardly wait as well......because I want to see the expressions on some faces......

......and I want to be around in 25 years when people say "remember wayyyyyyyy back in January of 06 when we first saw that great concept???"

Again.....thank you for the kind words.........

MORE IMPORTANTLY....to many of you.......

THANK YOU.......

........for 'keeping the faith!"

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Mustang will have a legitimate rival from Chevrolet... I can feel it in my bones.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Maybe not Camaro but the Pontiac GTO is a sign GM wants to get back into the field it once dominated.
Agreed... and the GTO is a great 'waiting area' while GM gets ready to put out another Camaro. I like to think I'm helping in at least a small way, with my purchase of an 05 GTO, to help Camaro supporters in GM build and bolster their business case for a 5gen. In the meantime, I'm having a blast with my car

RedPlanet - thanks for your dedication and your amazing patience with some of the folks you must deal with. You've made it easier for us to 'keep the faith'
Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 AM

It's been tough over the years....knowing that the 4th gen would be put to pasture....that a plant would be closed........and worse, I couldn't say much of anything to you other than "keep the faith."

I think what most people don't realize is that when I said "keep the faith" there was credibility attached to that statement. If I said that.....and nothing ever happened, I'm sure that at some point in time, there would be a posse in my front yard........with a rope....and burning torches........(and you get the idea) Therefore, I started with the "Read my book"........

I can honestly say -- as I have been for quite some time -- that the future, INDEED looks very bright.

AS to the Mustang helping the Camaro along.......you betcha. Would we have done a Camaro anyway? Well.....who knows.......but I can tell you that there are dealers like my friends:
Steve West (West Chevy)

and even Jim Perkins.....former VP of GM and General Manager of Chevrolet Motor Division who is now retired and working for the Hendrick organization...and their many Chevy Dealerships.............
......Every time......and I DO MEAN EVERYTIME they had an audience with the top men and women at GM, the Camaro issue came up. They demanded a new Camaro. You can bet that the hiatus of the Camaro affected these dealers in more than one way. First...they all have a passion for the Camaro......moreover, they sold a LOT of Camaros.....and when Camaro went away...so did some profit!

(a tidbit....I was visiting one of the Bill Heard Dealerships back in late 2001.....they had over 130 new Camaros in stock...and were gonna order more.....and Bill's son came out to see me and said "Mr. Settlemire...if you continue to build the Camaro, our 24 dealerships will buy every one of them!" (Talk about "Hard to say 'no' to someone!) But it was not possible to keep the car in production for several reasons.)

I knew it would be.

I suppose that I could have transferred over to other Brands (turned a couple of jobs down)......but I chose to ride the Camaro out to the end.

Do I regret it?

NO.

Was it painful?
Boy Howdy.

Did I leave the office on many a night so depressed and defeated that I sometimes questioned if I was sane?

Yep.

But you know what?

........and you tell me about your Camaro (or Firebird) and I see that certain 'gleam' in your eyes....and the passion you show for these cars........I know it was the right thing to do.

I don't mean to imply that I'm the only one that felt that way.....far from it. I know John Heinricy for one felt just as bad as I about the cars going on hiatus........and many many more just like him. I guess my sorry face is just a little more visible than most...............

Well guess what?

I can hardly wait as well......because I want to see the expressions on some faces......

......and I want to be around in 25 years when people say "remember wayyyyyyyy back in January of 06 when we first saw that great concept???"

THANK YOU.......

Words cant begin to explain how happy and grateful I am . Thank you
for all the hard work Redplanet
Old 12-08-2005, 04:27 AM

Lots of great replies in this thread. Scott really is the biggest force that I know of that has been pulling for us.

Just like at the Gathering in 2003, Scott made you feel like family. I've never felt so warm and fuzzy as a car enthusiast as I was listening to how passionate he was about the F-Body (and Bowtie) community. The events of the last few days, and the posts by Scott are making me feel that all over again.

Thanks Scott for never taking the path of least resistance.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
Lots of great replies in this thread. Scott really is the biggest force that I know of that has been pulling for us.

Just like at the Gathering in 2003, Scott made you feel like family. I've never felt so warm and fuzzy as a car enthusiast as I was listening to how passionate he was about the F-Body (and Bowtie) community. The events of the last few days, and the posts by Scott are making me feel that all over again.

Thanks Scott for never taking the path of least resistance.
Scott's statements have always given me hope... and I cant wait to get the specs on the new one.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by tls2000
Red,

That reply just brought a tear to my eye.....

edit: I'm currently trying to convince my fiancee to come with me sometime during the public part of the show

Same here... :sniff sniff:

Thanks, even though I havent really been arround for alot of the happenings I can sure appreciate what everyone has been through. I just became an enthusiast due to this site and my research for a new car about a year ago. Thanks again.

Jared
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Steve West (West Chevy)

I knew it would be.

Do I regret it?

NO.

Was it painful?
Boy Howdy.

Yep.

But you know what?

Well guess what?

THANK YOU.......

Jesus dude... you just got me so choked up with emotion that I had to stop eating my lunch to finish reading this. I, like many people, am so excited about the return of the Camaro that I'm finding it hard to function at work! I can't wait for January 9th!

Thanks for your hard work, and most of all, your dedication. Without that dedication from yourself and your peers, guys like me wouldn't have much to look forward to.