2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

R.i.p. Z/28

Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Put this guy in charge...

well -- we love HuJass-- but trust me - putting an LS7 in a Camaro would price it out of site...............there are other ways to do a Z28.....

All: it ain't dead! It's on hold. We must rethink EVERY entry -- car/truck/crossover -- simply go look at the sales figures for July and August - if that isn't a 'reality slap in the face' -- nothing is!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
At the risk of fear mongering, there's an interview with Bob Lutz where he directly addresses a higher performance Camaro. There's another thread discussing it, but I figured I'd post it here since it directly mentions what we all assumed was the Z/28.

Key Quote:
“I get letters from people saying they heard we were going to add a supercharged 600-hp V-8 to the Camaro lineup, and I write back saying ‘Sorry, with new (corporate average fuel economy) standards (for 2020), we aren’t going to do it.”
The new minimum CAFE standard of 35 mpg (6.7 L/100 km) in 2020 and additional pressure from California and 15 other states to limit carbon dioxide is part of what may force Chrysler LLC to jettison its Viper high-performance model. Chrysler said this week it was examining options for its Viper business, including a sale.

“Setting lower CO2 limits would equal setting CAFE at 43 mpg (5.5 L/100 km),” Lutz says. “This is why the sale of the Dodge Viper by Chrysler makes sense, because anyone selling fewer than 50,000 vehicles annually would be exempt (from fuel-economy requirements).

“So if someone else bought Viper, they could sell to capacity, but Chrysler couldn’t. This is why we are concerned about Corvette.

“The reason California set the exemption for less than 50,000 units is that it would mean the Hollywood folks could keep driving their Lamborghinis and Ferraris.”

Based on the 50,000-unit exemption “Porsche could sell 11-mpg (21.4 L/100 km) Cayennes, but we couldn’t sell 20-mpg (11.8 L/100 km) Chevy Tahoes,” Lutz adds.

I hope this makes everyone as mad as it does me - and not at GM, but at the people and their representatives who agree to these stupid regulations. They will kill the automotive industry if given the chance, and destroy manufacturing in this country in the process all because of a knee-jerk solution to an questionable problem.

Thread:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=632428

Original Article:
http://wardsauto.com/ar/lutz_break_testing_080829/
We can thank the good old democratic Congress and the wacko environmentalists for this ridiculously high CAFE standards!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
well -- we love HuJass-- but trust me - putting an LS7 in a Camaro would price it out of site...............there are other ways to do a Z28.....

All: it ain't dead! It's on hold. We must rethink EVERY entry -- car/truck/crossover -- simply go look at the sales figures for July and August - if that isn't a 'reality slap in the face' -- nothing is!
well there it is... straight from the horses mouth
/thread
as a matter of fact, i believe thats sig worthy
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 AM

i understand in these troubling times sir...just makes me sick those arrogant ****** who own mustangs have the advantage....

ps:in response to mr camaro above
Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 AM

Scott,
How much more is the LS7 vs. the LS3 in terms of cost (GM's cost, not retail)?

If it is so much more, I could only surmise that the LS9 or LSA is significantly more than that, right?

So what's left as another Z/28 engine option?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Scott,
How much more is the LS7 vs. the LS3 in terms of cost (GM's cost, not retail)?

If it is so much more, I could only surmise that the LS9 or LSA is significantly more than that, right?

So what's left as another Z/28 engine option?
i think the LSA is cheaper.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
i think the LSA is cheaper.
Anyone know why the LSA is less? Logically it seems like the LS7 would be less. But that's just me. I'm probably missing something or simply don't know enough about the LSA motor to understand why it's less.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by supr_bikr_99
Anyone know why the LSA is less? Logically it seems like the LS7 would be less. But that's just me. I'm probably missing something or simply don't know enough about the LSA motor to understand why it's less.
LS7 is hand built, LSA's aren't. More expensive parts used for LS7.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM

So after the recession and when sales improve enough that GM would consider a monster motor Camaro, maybe the Z28 will come off hold, unless GM is in negotiations with the Federal Government for a chunk of that $50 billion loan.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM

i dont know if the LSA is done this way, but i konw that the LS7 is built by hand, thus increasing the motors price considerably. Not to mention, again im not sure the LSA has this or not, but the LS7 has Titanium all through that thing, rods, etc.. so cost of materials are also higher. or that would be my 2 guesses off the top of my head.

I know the Z/28 is not dead... I know its on hold... and for now thats fine by me, as im not yet ready to buy (promised the next car is the wife's to choose, and she's going for a G8 I think) and when I am ready, I'm hoping to find my beloved Z/28 on lots agian.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks for chiming in, Scott!! I was hoping the Z/28 wasn't dead, although CAFE has been burning me up for quite sometime and I've therefore had some doubts. Your post also makes me think GM has something special in mind for the car when they decide to green light it and that's also encouraging. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
More expensive parts used for LS7.
I think this is probably the biggest factor. The LS7 has a lot of more exotic stuff like titanium rods, titanium pushrods and valve springs, titanium intake valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM

well couldn't they make a "working man's" version of the LS7? Call it the WM7.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
well couldn't they make a "working man's" version of the LS7? Call it the WM7.
What's wrong with an LSA supercharged motor? It makes more Hp and more Tq across the board, pulley change and your approaching 600+hp.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
What's wrong with an LSA supercharged motor? It makes more Hp and more Tq across the board, pulley change and your approaching 600+hp.
FYI: Unless it gets titanium rods and forged pistons, a pulley change will equal cracked pistons and bent rods.

The LSA is pretty well maxed out from the factory. The LSA is not the LS9.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R.i.p. Z/28