2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Pricing Schedule- Dealer / Employee / Etc.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76
It depends on the vehicle. I am son and grand son of GM employees so i get the discount

We have sold out early twice. Once on a H2 and second on one of the first automatic Soltices. On the H2 the waiting period was only 6 months. We called GM and asked if we could get out of it due to financial reason and they agreed.

On the Solstice it was 2 years but... we just sold it. The car was like 3 months old. Nothing ever happened. This was a couple years ago now I guess... wow time flies... and we have bought several new cars since with no issues including the C6 and a 2008 Impala. I guess if there were suspicion and GM actually took the time to check title transfers it could be a problem but i don't see them doing that. Bottom line is you buy the car and get financed thru anyone but GMAC (do they still exist?), or pay cash, you get a memorandum title or clear title then just sell it. The bank isnt going to tell, the BMV isn't going to tell. Who would be the wiser? just don't use any bank institutions related to GM and you should be fine.

But to reverberate, the waiting time is vehicle dependant. My guess is they will try to impose the two years on the Camaro but whatever... If you want to jump the car you can, just be smart about it. I know of several people (me not included) who do that for people all the time. I think you can buy like 8 new cars on the discount per year.

Whoever mentioned the taxes is correct but there are ways around that too. If it is someone you know you can sell it to them cheap... the BMV will look at you funny but f'em. "so you are selling a 2010 Camaro for $1000?" "Yea so?" There is a word for that... tax evasion, ok i guess thats two words but again, is the IRS really going to come down on you for such a small amount? I don't know. Or be honest and look at it this way:

GMS price: $28000 + 7% tax ($2000) = $30000 to get the car off the lot
You say you sell the car to someone else for say $18000 (man that depreciation). tax on that is $1200.

$31200 would be what non employee would pay to own the car if employee jumped it.... Is it worth it? you are techincally breaking two laws, but it can be done. Can you just walk into the dealer and get the car OTD for $31200??? maybe.
Awesome tips!! Anyone know how long the no-transfer waiting time is on the Camaro?

Yea GMAC is still around. Requires minimum 700 fico to finance with them now Why do you say finance with anyone but them? Arent they like the official GM financing company?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Primus
probably because they liked the way the concept looked....
Good point but weren't they 20's on the front and 21's on the rear and not 21's all around?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM

Don't fin. thru GMAC if you plan to jump the car to a non-employee. They may catch on that way. Otherwise go for it.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76
Don't fin. thru GMAC if you plan to jump the car to a non-employee. They may catch on that way. Otherwise go for it.
Ah that's what you meant. Good point.

Just read that GM is actually paying their dealers incentives for NOT financing through GMAC anyway Crazy eh, a financing company that actually doesn't want to make loans.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JChan611
Ah! I knew there was a catch. Any idea how long that period of time is? Its actually a relative of mine who is the gm employee.
What kind of relative? GM employee discount is extended to parents, children, siblings, step-parents, step-siblings, and I think grandchildren and grandparents as well. You just have to get a document saying that you're eligible from the relative that actually works there.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
What kind of relative? GM employee discount is extended to parents, children, siblings, step-parents, step-siblings, and I think grandchildren and grandparents as well. You just have to get a document saying that you're eligible from the relative that actually works there.
Just a cousin. Guess I'm out of luck with employee pricing. I should just try to get a job at a dealer

Is anyone getting close to the invoice prices at least?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by trm0002
From another Board (credit to Embalmer):

Sorry, but I'm not allowed to post attachments for whatever reason so follow the link...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...10&postcount=1
This will be useful when I walk into a dealer to negotiate next week. I'm personally curious is invoice price what the dealer actually pays for the car? So if I buy at $1,000 over invoice they are making a grand profit?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad350z
This will be useful when I walk into a dealer to negotiate next week. I'm personally curious is invoice price what the dealer actually pays for the car? So if I buy at $1,000 over invoice they are making a grand profit?
Yes and yes to an extent. Out of that 1k comes the salesman's commission and the cost to prep the car for your pickup.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 PM

My uncle retired from Norwood and was in charge of the build of the '69 ZL1's. He is still living. Should I be able to get an employee discount?

BTW, my uncle told me that the they couldn't test the ZL1's on the rollers at Norwood because they overpowered the testing area. Instead, supervisors would take them to the back of the plant -- opposite of OH-562 -- and roast the tires to test them.

BTW, my uncle was also the master keeper of the option codes for the 1st gen cars -- he is cited several times in books about the early Camaro's and Firebirds.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by trm0002
Yes and yes to an extent. Out of that 1k comes the salesman's commission and the cost to prep the car for your pickup.
I see but is invoice price the actual cost of the car to the dealer or do they get discounts on top of that too?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad350z
I see but is invoice price the actual cost of the car to the dealer or do they get discounts on top of that too?
Dealers still make a profit if they sell for invoice, due to "dealer hold back" , where the car manufacturer credits the dealer with some extra $$ so they still turn a profit. I've bought two vehicles at invoice and it was still worth it for the dealer.

see http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/dealer_holdback.htm
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dacook
Dealers still make a profit if they sell for invoice, due to "dealer hold back" , where the car manufacturer credits the dealer with some extra $$ so they still turn a profit. I've bought two vehicles at invoice and it was still worth it for the dealer.

Dealers will sell vehicles at invoice to move inventory...esecially ones that they have a lot of .. they are paying for those vehicles by the month..it is all about moving inventory...mistakenly most people think that holdback is profit...holdback is money that GM credits the dealership to help the dealer pay their foorplan note on the hundreds of vehicles in their inventory...a bank or GMAC owns the vehicles in the dealers inventory not the dealer and the dealer pays monthly notes on that inventory...as to GM employee price being offered for the 5th gen car that remains to be seen..GM did not offer the employee price on the C6 Z06 for a couple of years...incentives being offered on the first year of the new Camaro will probably not happen..and even if the employee price is offered by GM on the car it is up to the individual dealer if they want to sell a new Camaro at the employee price...dealers are hurting right now...if they have a popular new car to sell it is still going to be the law of supply and demand...you are going to have to pay if you want to play...if you want a bargan you will have to wait until the initial rush is over... I would never buy the first year car anyway because of the bugs that always are discovered during the first year...improvments are always made no matter how much time was spent in development of the vehicle..after the people who have to be the first one on their block to have one have purchased their cars and things cool down dealers will be willing to discount the cars and you can rest assured that GM will over produce the vehicle (THEY ALWAYS DO) and incentives will become the norm.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by dacook

Thanks thats what I thought. I've heard of people buying under invoice even when they were trying to clear out cars. Didnt think they were actually selling at a loss !