2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK...part 2- what special edition Camaros would you like to see.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 AM

OK I did a little more thinking about a "Keep the faith" Camaro.

For The first 25 or so sellable 5th gens came off the line, you had to submit an essay, photographs, etc. to be able to buy one of them. Really demonstrate how much you love the Camaro.

Rick, Bob, Ed, Scott, and Tom would all sign the car somewhere and the 25 people buying them took delivery with said people infront of the RenCen in Detroit.

They'd be vintage color schemes like orange on white, black on yellow, etc. A kicker would be the Z06 motor under the hood

Last edited by Chuck!; 05-19-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 AM

I keep hearing let GMMG build the special edition cars...but if you want to own one at a price that most buyers on the board can afford you deffinately don't want GMMG doing all of your specialty cars. They are a small operation and work in a non assembly line kind of way which means they can not turn out as many cars as will be desired. I'm not at all saying they can't build some nice cars here I am just saying that with the demand being high, the price of building one for GMMG will be more expensive than if GM included it into their assembly line. GMMG cars are great but I think they like to stay with the lower production number cars between the 30-150 range.

That being said I see a real desire for special edition camaros.

I would love to see two niche markets filled one is the handling/road coarse crowd and the other is the knuckle dragging horsepower junkies like GuionM so elloquently described us.

I think it would be really cool to have two variations on a ZL-1

It could possibly go like this.

ZL-1 Drag Pack:
Lightwieght 18" front wheels 17"rear wheels with DR already set on the rears.
Adjustable suspension for setting the car up for better transfer of weight.
Some kind of ASM/TC aided launch control...maybe a stretch.
500 HP LS7 wet sumped
Option of 6-speed T6060 with a hurst Shifter and shift ball or 6-Speed Automatic with a higher stall.
Spoiler delete
Heavy Duty Fan system to cool the car while in staging lanes.
Special color options throwing back to the 69 1969 cars.
Factory Exhaust system with exhaust bypass (C6 Z06 Style)
Options on this car would be: Dealership installed factory stainless headers, ram air style intake, Transmission, gauge package and shift light.

ZL-1LE Road Racing:
Light Weight 18" wheels at all four corners with some kind of stick street tire.
Z06 style 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers with slotted rotars.(optional)
500 HP LS7 Dry sumped
6-Speed T6060 with a hurst shift kit and delrin shift ****.
Heavy Duty Fan system
Adjustable suspension (maybe coil overs as an option?)
Larger oil cooler, and Diff Cooler.(optional)
ASM with Competitive driving modes
Lightweight Ti cat back
Options on this car would be: Dealership installed factory stainless headers, ram air style intake, gauge pacakge, and stripe option.

I know that there are alot of things here that would be a stretch but I have been impressed in the past with some of the things that showed up on previous GM cars that really added a nice touch and were complete un expected, case in point was the factory exhaust bypass on the C6Z.

Other special editions I would like to see follow the same formula as above but tend vary more in the looks department.

Mark Donohue/Sunoco road car: (that would be really cool with a high strung destroked 5.3 liter. 302 CI with 400 HP at 7000RPM.

Yenko S/C:LS7 with the same drag pack options listed above but with more options.

Dick Harrell Edition Camaro...I'll leave those to GMMG they do them very well.

How about a turbo v6 model like the old GN/turbo TA's. That spark a little fire under the butts of the imports.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I have to admit, I feel like if they're going to do a special edition, they should do one right off the bat for the guys and gals that REALLY missed the car. Not wait a few years to come out w/ something special while everyone and thier dog scoops up the regular cars from day 1. I guess it stems from my dislike of the practice of coming out w/ a car, then giving it marginal improvements over the years that the car shoud have had from the beginning. Case in point, the 2nd year top dog, or this someday in the future special edition. Since most of the ideas being floated around HERE are calling for some sort of high performance variant, it seems that, as loyal enthusiasts, that is the kind of car we'd really like to have. So it seems strange to me that GM would want to wait a couple of years to bring out the special car that it's most ardent enthusiasts want. Why not make the FIRST batch of cars, say a couple of hundred, a special edition, even if it's only a package like what we've talked about for the CZ28.com special, and have a big party and bring in the enthusiasts like they did for the NAIAS last year, and invite the media and everything. Heck, tie it into the 2009 NAIAS! I can just see a line of 1 or 2 hundred new Camaros w/ a bunch of happy enthusiasts OWNERS lined up ready and waiting to talk to the media about how much they love GM!

But all of these Yenkos, Sunocos, ZL1s, ect that we're throwing around, while uber cool to US, the average Joe I don't think will get the connection. I think GM would be better served bringing out the car, as it should be, right off the bat. Do the base coupe and SS as a MY2010, vert and Z/28 in MY2011, 45th anniversary maybe tied in w/ an Indy pace car edition in MY2012, ect.

I think the intent of this thread is to come up w/ ideas for a car that will sell in VOLUME that GM can build, not to fill a niche, I could be wrong though. Perhaps we need a ruling Scott?

Last edited by CLEAN; 05-19-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Not to rain on all us car guys parade but like stated above it doesn't gave to have that many performance options/varients. Most people could care less about upgraded suspesions and such.

Just some different and rare COLOR , STRIPEs and WHEEL editions would be cool. Of course they could come with special airbox lids and exhaust tips.That would be easy and cost effective.

I'm sure there will be performance models for all of us.

Last edited by STEVEJ; 05-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:50 AM

We all know that the pony boys across the street are reviving all their previous brands and milking their car for all it is worth with tonnes of appearance packages, a few performance packages and the like. What I'm going to suggest most likely have been mentioned already but it is something I would like to see, for what it is worth.

I would like to see an anniversary edition paint scheme, much like the 1997 Z28. Arctic White with Hugger orange stripes, orange interior. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a "Revival edition" avaliable on the upper end Camaros, especially the Top dog once it is avaliable. Convertable or hardtop, maybe with the implications the 4th gen SS package had to boot like a different hood, ram air, upgraded suspension and just a tad more power than what it's stable-mates would have.

Another given would be a Bumblebee package, yellow with black stripes and the odd "Autobot" insignia placed in inconspicuous locations like the steering wheel, maybe the wheels, headrests or even on the buckle that says "GM".

I would like to see stripe packages too because although stripes look completely awkard on some cars, this new Camaro is an exception.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shockwave
I think a short-run collaboration with Orange County Choppers and/or the guys on Miami Ink would be pretty awesome. Throaty exhaust, more chrome than normal, and unique graphics that you won't see on other Camaros.

I'll echo the nod to something tied in with pride in the USA. A Camaro "Patriot Edition" has a nice ring to it.

And for some reason, just a package called "Black" is striking a chord with me. Something that reminds me of the Camaro in better off dead...only offered in one color, different custom gauge-set, unique chrome accents and some power upgrades. Maybe even only available with a single high-performance engine so it gains a notorious reputation. To where anytime someone races a "Black" and talks to friends about it, ears immediately perk up and respect is given.
These are all great ideas. IMHO, collaborating with a well-known brand like OCC would do a lot to pull in younger, non-hardcore enthusiast buyers, people who may not necessarily know what a ZL1 or Sunoco Camaro would be. Would definitely go a long way to making the Camaro into a mainstream cultural icon (not just in the car enthusiast crowd). Plus, something with a *name* like "Orange County Choppers Edition" or "Camaro Black" has a lot more personality than some alphanumeric code. Again, JMO, and that's not to say I wouldn't also like to see something like a ZL1.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:15 PM

This is just my opinion, but a "Bumblebee" version is just plain silly.

I LOVE the yellow & black stripes paint scheme, but I SURE AS HELL don't want to be driving a rolling billboard for some sci-fi movie (as cool as the movie might be).

I'd be willing to bet that those who like the yellow & black are more than likely attracted to it because of the 1st Gen connection and NOT the connection to a movie that was inspired by a cheesy '80s cartoon.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 05-20-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
This is just my opinion, but a "Bumblebee" version is just plain silly.

I LOVE the yellow & black stripes paint scheme, but I SURE AS HELL don't want to be driving a rolling billboard for some sci-fi movie (as cool as the movie might be).

Maybe not for you or me, but the kids seem to like it.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 PM

You know me Scott. I want Jon Moss himself riveting the panels to my stripper Camaro.
It would have a bigger lip of a spoiler, deeper brake duct engravings, large fender flares, 18 inch wheels in the front and 19 inch wheels in the back. And the rears better be wider than the length of my shoe!

Last edited by number77; 05-19-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:37 PM

"limited production, high horsepower v-8, throaty exhaust, manual trans package {kind of like the mustang gt500kr type promotion}. but it should be limited in numbers and badged discretely but enough so that it is slightly noticable on the street that it a special order edition. (probably would not be used for the daily driver type, imho). "

Ditto on the above post.....Its working for Ford (and it pisses me off that it took GM so long to compete with them). I would like to see a second V8 engine option in the camaro at launch though. That in itself would kick the mustang's *** right out of the stadium.....
Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 PM

A Berlinetta model that secretaries throughout the country couldnt live without, since Ram Air, WS6 and Bandit models all have Firebird history.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 AM

I would like to see a Gale Banks edition

I would like to see a Gale Banks Camaro again, except this time use a supercharger instead of say Twin Turbos. This should crank out over 500hp. Also, an adjustable suspension like Saleen used on the 89 Mustangs Firm-Soft or Hard. Hell If Callaway (the team that built the twin turbo Vettes in the 80's, and Supercharged Vettes today that crank out 560 - 616 hp) could devise a model, I would love to see it done..
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AdamV92
I would like to see a Gale Banks Camaro again, except this time use a supercharger instead of say Twin Turbos. ..
Gale Banks does turbos. What's the point of a "Gale Banks Camaro" if it's not turbocharged?

I'll answer that. No point at all.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
A Berlinetta model that secretaries throughout the country couldnt live without, since Ram Air, WS6 and Bandit models all have Firebird history.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a properly executed Berlinetta - in the same vein as a Ferrari Berlinetta. A fast, luxurious, GT.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 PM

If GM can produce a quality car at a good price that is in high demand with excellent resale value, it shouldnt need stripe packages to boost sales. I dont see GM offering a real race car with AC, heater and radio delete with Brembo brakes, so all that is left is stripes, spoiler and tire/wheel packages. I also dont see a new Camaro that can compete with the 600 or 725hp Super Snake Mustang. Corvette, yes, Camaro, no.

Quick Reply: OK...part 2- what special edition Camaros would you like to see.....