2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Ok guys, what racing weries do you think the Camaro should be in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Re: Ok guys, what racing weries do you think the Camaro should be in?

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I don't see why a Camaro entered in the GT class for the ALMS would compete against the Corvette. It would be going against Porshe, BMW, and whoever else races in that class. It wouldn't be competeing with the Corvette. Just imagine the advertising when both Camaro and Corvette win their classes at Daytona or Sebring.
My thoughts exactly. With the C6R competing in GT1, it shouldnt be a problem to have a Camaro ( Dare I say a Z/28) in the GT2 Class. On the Daytona and Sebring wins you are thinking too small. An eliteist squashing win at The 24 Hours of Le Mans is what I was thinking. (Take that Porshe, BMW, Panoz, Ferrari.)

0toinsanein5.4sec: You can have driving in the SWC, I call GT2.

On a side note maybe could get a large sticker on the side of the car.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
there is actually a first gen in formula D. i think a camaro in drifting would be a good idea.

Mushasi: Speed Touring Car challenge isnt limited to 4 doors but 4 passengers. its more a matter of power/displacement between the 2 series. i went to the site and looked up the official rules:

Grand Touring (GT): Includes a variety of production displacements with no maximum. Forced induction is permitted and is used to equalize individual models. Sedans, coupes, convertibles and two-seat models are permitted. The cars can be rear-wheel, or all-wheel drive. Class horsepower range is 425-550 bhp.

Touring Car (TC): Cars up to 2.8-liters that are naturally aspirated are permitted. Forced induction permitted as if it came that way from the factory. The cars can be front-wheel, rear-wheel, or all-wheel drive. The cars must be able to seat four adults, and convertibles are not allowed. Class horsepower range is 225-275 bhp.

My bad! Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:14 PM

A few years ago there wasnt many corvettes in SWC, it wasnt really until the Trans AM series died off did 'vettes enter SWC in serious competition. I don't see why by 2009, with ageing C6 platforms why SWC drivers wont be open to a Camaro with factory backing. IMO the CTS-V's would be better suited going to ALMS GT2 fighting Porsches, Panoz, Ferrari ect and leaving the Camaros to sprint races.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 PM

True. And remember Lou Gigglioti won his championships driving an LT1 4th gen.

But, even with the Vette absent, going against Vipers, Porsches, Caddies, just isn't right. Just not in the same class as our Camaro. The Vette just fits better. I remember the Saleen Mustang was kinda competitive, but never a threat consistently. Unless GM gets involved developing the car (aerodynamics, builds race ready shells), I think the Camaro will be hard to be competitive. Just my humble opinion...

I'll say bring back the T/A series!

Last edited by Mushasi; 08-13-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Camaro is not allowed to go into drifting. That is Pontiac's domain now.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by onyxblackz28
An eliteist squashing win at The 24 Hours of Le Mans is what I was thinking. (Take that Porshe, BMW, Panoz, Ferrari.)
Thats what I want. The Camaro will hopefully run right with the Bimmer especially.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:42 AM

Running with the BMW is what I was thinking too. AFAIK in GT2 cars that originaly seat four, 2+2, are allowed to run ABS. I like watching the BMW out-brake the GT3 RSR. I think with ABS and a motor similar to the C6R with less displacement. The Camaro would do pretty well.

To all those who say Camaro doesn't belong racing Porshe, BMW, Panoz, and Ferrari. What better way would there be to show the masses that Camaro is not a Redneck thing. I say death to the mulletized, primered image. I'm not saying Camaro should only be raced in ALMS. It absolutly must show up at NHRA. I just think ALMS would be the best place to show that Camaro can make left and right turns, as well as go in a straight line.

CTS-V should run in GT1, there never seems to be as many entrys in that class.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by km9v
After you learn to spell, I think they should revive the IROC series.
I'd love it! Especially if they came out with a new IROC-Z model that I could park next to my 85.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by onyxblackz28
Running with the BMW is what I was thinking too.

To all those who say Camaro doesn't belong racing Porshe, BMW, Panoz, and Ferrari. What better way would there be to show the masses that Camaro is not a Redneck thing. I say death to the mulletized, primered image. I'm not saying Camaro should only be raced in ALMS. It absolutly must show up at NHRA. I just think ALMS would be the best place to show that Camaro can make left and right turns, as well as go in a straight line.

CTS-V should run in GT1, there never seems to be as many entrys in that class.

Running a Camaro against GT2 cars sounds nice, but be realistic. I don't claim to know what it takes to run a competitve team. But, even running in SPEED GT takes a lot of money and R&D. And it's even more effort and money in ALMS.

Believe me, I love it when our cars can go faster during track days, impressing those with BMWs and the likes.

Start in Grand Am like the Mustangs and GTOs (which are winning against M3s), get the package competitive and reliable (like Porsches. They know how long every component lasts), then we can move on to take on those damn over-priced exotics!

JMHO
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by graham
Grand-Am. And American Le Mans.

If for no other reason than to beat out those elietist punks
OH, you mean like 75% of this forum?

And elitist doesnt have 2 "E"s in it.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Grand AM stangs aren't exactly production. They run a different motor. However Grand AM where the GTO's run with TRG might be a good idea with the absense of the GTO soon, unless they want to enter the new GTO when it comes out.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRSguy
Grand AM stangs aren't exactly production. They run a different motor. However Grand AM where the GTO's run with TRG might be a good idea with the absense of the GTO soon, unless they want to enter the new GTO when it comes out.
Yep, they aren't exactly production, but Grand Am is more production based than Rolex GT, where the GTO.R is.

Rolex GT cars can have tube frame chassis, reworked suspension locations, freedom in placing the engine w/in the bay, etc. Not Grand Am, where the Mustang is. Suspension locations must be stock (unless allowed), body work is limited, etc.

What I'm reading is a lot of us want our Camaro to be bad and run with cars much more capable than ours, which I'd like to see. But, simply running where the Mustangs are (as mentioned here somewhere) is more realistic.

And frankly, I personally would rather see Camaros duking it out with Mustangs and Challengers on the track. I'll let the Vette boys take care of the expensive exotics

I won't forget the race at Sonoma in 2003 where the Ferrari Maranellos tried so hard not to be lapped by the Vettes, they both had on track incidents. That day, the term "Win on Sundays Sell on Mondays" couldn't ve been more appropriate. If I had the money I would've gone out and buy me a Vette the next day.

Anyways, I'd love to see the Camaros competing in:
Grand Am GS (not Rolex GT), drifting , and NHRA (where else are the Rustangs running at?).

I still have Kurt Johnson's T-shirt that says "Camaro Is Back" (from 1999, I think). I hope he runs a Camaro again when it comes out...

Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM

What do you guys think of a new SCCA series focusing in on the muscle cars. Since Speed WC doesnt quite fit muscle cars, rolex doesnt seem to be what everyone wants to see. Maybe a new Trans AM series, more structured around production cars like how it started, (not what it became in latter years).
Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Personally I'd like to see an American version of Australia's V8 Supercar Series pitting Camaro v. Mustang and Challenger.

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

It could replace the Busch series in NASCAR or something completely new.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRSguy
What do you guys think of a new SCCA series focusing in on the muscle cars. Since Speed WC doesnt quite fit muscle cars, rolex doesnt seem to be what everyone wants to see. Maybe a new Trans AM series, more structured around production cars like how it started, (not what it became in latter years).
YES!!!!!

Trans Am in the latter were butchered looking cars. The entry counts weren't much either. I remembered in 2002 there were only 16(!) cars on the grid at Lime Rock. Sheesh, the WC races (that supported the T/A) had like, 30 cars!

And that V8 Supercar series down under is awesome.

It could replace the Busch series in NASCAR or something completely new.
Ironically, one of their superstars , Marcos Ambrose, is running in the Trucks series...

Quick Reply: Ok guys, what racing weries do you think the Camaro should be in?