2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Done Yet: Lutz says 'perhaps' to twin-turbo Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Wouldn't it be easier to do an all-aluminum small block with 427ci, 525hp, 500tq, and naturally aspirated? Put headers on it instead of manifolds and lightweight exhaust.
Probably (you don't need to convince me! ).

But it would be good to offer customers the choice. Let them decide which is the better performance alternative (though I'm sure the V8 will still outnumber the V6/TT by a good margin) I say.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I think you're missing the point of Leno's TTV6. The point is performance plus fuel economy.
Yeah but I some of the things that Leno has said about it aren't exactly correct. If you watch his video on Jay Leno's Garage he says "It's lighter, it's got more horsepower, and it's not a V8." He also said there was a lot less weight off the front end.

There was the comment about the V6 cars being more successful in autocross, which I doubt is true, but was attributed to various un-named reviews of the car. I know there has been a lot of speculation about the lower mass of the base car leading to more responsive handling, just as some people would make the argument during the era of the 4th gens. But regardless, adding turbos would create slightly worse weight distribution and overall a slightly heavier package. I honestly doubt the 3.6L + turbos + piping + intercoolers is lighter than an all aluminum LS3. It's too bad he didn't quantify the difference in mass.

At any rate as far as the fuel economy goes, I think it is possible to get better economy out of the turbo six at low throttle and everyday driving compared to the V8. I think a twin turbo V6 would be a hot setup, but you never get something for nothing.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
But regardless, adding turbos would create slightly worse weight distribution and overall a slightly heavier package. I honestly doubt the 3.6L + turbos + piping + intercoolers is lighter than an all aluminum LS3. It's too bad he didn't quantify the difference in mass.

At any rate as far as the fuel economy goes, I think it is possible to get better economy out of the turbo six at low throttle and everyday driving compared to the V8. I think a twin turbo V6 would be a hot setup, but you never get something for nothing.
I'm in agreement. When you consider there is only a 30kg penalty on the LS3 over the HFV6 normally aspirated engine, then you'd think that advantage would be nullified quite easily with all the additional plumbing a TT setup takes.

As far as weight distribution is concerned... that depends on the location of the huffers relative to the engine... the TT V6 might actually have a lower COG compared to the LS3.

In regards to Leno, I don't think he knows his cars as well as he thinks he does.