2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Motor Trend: First Drive Camaro V6

Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM

Motor Trend: First Drive Camaro V6

Motor Trend: "Let's not keep you in suspense any longer. The envelope, please: Chevy's new two-door is...very good. Very, very, very good"

Yesterday it was Car & Driver, today its Motor Trend and the report is glowing. They are even quoting faster times, possibly 0 to 60 in 5.9 and 1/4 in 14.2 and a top speed of 155 mph in a base V6 car. And they said Chevy is shooting for 19/27 MPG for the V6.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 08-26-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM

"The Mustang can only dream of delivering handling at this level of performance and sophistication."

And it weighs what....over 400lbs more than the Mustang?

I'm confused, I thought that the only thing mattered was weight?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Motor Trend
8/26/08

First Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6
By Arthur St. Antoine
Photography by Julia LaPalme

No more guessing. No more hype. No more waiting. At long last, Chevrolet has opened the doors to its feverishly awaited 2010 Camaro sports coupe, and we've enjoyed a thorough shakedown run (in a "99 percent" prototype).

Let's not keep you in suspense any longer. The envelope, please: Chevy's new two-door is...very good. Very, very, very good. At the risk of inducing insider trading, now would be a good time to sell your Mustang stock.

The 99-percent prototype is admittedly rough around the edges-awful paint, not all parts to production shape, some interior bits held in place with tape while engineers test final pieces-but hardware-wise it's a "nearly done" Camaro. With minor tweaks, this is the car you'll be able to get by March.

For this early drive Chevy served up only the base, V-6 version of its new pony car (V-8 drives will follow in about two months), but that quickly proved to be no disappointment. The headline news: The "base" engine is the same DOHC, 24-valve 3.6-liter V-6 that serves in the 2008 Motor Trend Car of the Year, the Cadillac CTS. Outfitted with variable valve timing and direct injection, this high-tech beauty will romp with more than 300 horsepower (final output is still TBD) and should deliver EPA city/highway fuel economy ratings of least 18/26 mpg-though Chevy is aiming for 19/27 mpg.

Even GM loyalists must be pinching themselves. After so many years of second- or third-rate powerplants appearing in brand-new GM vehicles, seeing this superstar engine make its debut at launch time speaks volumes about the winning mindset of the New General. The development team, a dedicated cadre of Aussies well-versed in building fast, rear-drive cars for GM division Holden, fought the good fight to get project money spent where it would do the most good. The result: Premium engine hardware, sophisticated chassis moves, a gorgeous shape unmarred by "convenient" production compromises. You want a navigation system? Too bad-the Holden development crew figured you'd rather they spend the money on things like surgically precise steering and bourbon-smooth six-speed transmissions (besides, all new Camaros will offer OnStar turn-by-turn route guidance).

Yes, two six-speeds will be offered with the V-6 (and, by the way, the V-8): an Aisin manual and a HydroMatic automatic with wheel-mounted manual shift buttons (the V-8 manual will be a Tremec unit). All base Camaros will be equipped with an FE2 suspension package, though chief engineer Doug Houlihan says that Chevy is "considering" adding, as an option, the uprated FE3 suspension that'll be standard on V-8 cars. Base tires are 245/55R18 M+S BFGoodrich Traction T/As on 18-inch alloys; optional rubber will include 19- and 20-inch Pirellis (the latter available in summer or snow versions) plus an available 21-inch wheel-and-tire upgrade (summer only). Brakes are single-piston calipers all around, with cast-iron rotors (12.6 inches) up front and aluminum discs (12.4 inches) in back. (All Camaro V-8s will sport bigger, four-piston Brembo binders and a larger master cylinder for improved brake feel.) An optional RS package will include the 20-inch rims plus HID headlamps, a rear spoiler, and door-sill trim, among other upgrades.

Inside, the 2010 Camaro recalls the flavor of the '67 model that inspired it-squarish primary instruments plus a rectangular four-pack of secondary gauges in the center console-but it's far too stylish and modern to appear "retro." A thick, deep-dish steering wheel is unique to the new Camaro, another reminder of project cash well-dispensed. Seats will be trimmed in cloth or optional leather; one gripe, as on the Pontiac G8, is the lack of a power backrest adjustment (on the Camaro it's a manual ratchet). The wheel is a tilt-telescoping model, which in combo with the smartly placed pedals helps deliver a near-ideal driving position.

Buckle up, because the new Camaro runs like a cheetah escaping the zoo. The engine twirls for the 7000-rpm redline as if were born to live there, but at cruise it withdraws, like a fine personal valet, almost into invisibility. The high-pitched exhaust note is decidedly non-musclecar; it almost says "Asian tuner car." Houlihan admits that engineers are still tweaking the sound, though. The production car will likely emit a more baritone growl. Or not. Prepare to be surprised.

Chevy is currently recording 0-to-60-mph sprints of about 6.1 seconds or so, but the goal is to break the six-second barrier. Give us a car, guys. We'll get you the 5.9-second run you're after. Top speed, by the way, is an electronically limited 155 miles per hour. Yes, with the V-6. Both transmissions are superb, the automatic responding quickly to shift-button commands and the manual smooth and slick (pedals are well-placed for heel-and-toe downshifts).

When outfitted with 18-inch wheels and tires and the V-6, the Camaro may wear a "base car" label, but you'd never know it by the drive. The hydraulic power steering delivers excellent feel, with deft off-center response and plenty of mid-corner feedback. The chassis, boasting a Mustang-crushing independent rear, powers through bends with a level of grip that simply obliterates any "base car" notions. Even pushed as hard as you'd dare on public roads, the Goodriches rarely protest or slip, instead digging in and doing their best to pry your eyeballs from your skull. Stability control steps in only mildly, catching minor missteps (ooohh, that corner was just a bit tighter than expected) without quashing useful dabs of oversteer. Body rigidity is exemplary, too. The Mustang can only dream of delivering handling at this level of performance and sophistication.

With moves like this in the entry Camaro-base price in the mid-to-low $20s-it's drool-inspiring to imagine what the car will do with, say, the optional 20-inch summer rubber (not to mention, the mega-output V-8s with FE3 chassis tuning). What's more, even in "stripped" form the Camaro feels distinctly upmarket. Wind noise is almost nonexistent. The ride polishes off road imperfections while remained poised to spring, cat-like, to quick steering inputs. Brakes are sturdy and bite hard early into the pedal's travel. Mustang? Nah. The new Camaro feels more akin to an American Infiniti G37. And remember: Thus far our driving has been limited to the base V-6 version.

In an era when "mega-ultra-hyped blockbuster" often means "I wasted my money on that?" the new Chevy Camaro pushes back against unfulfilled expectations. It delivers. The look is there. The performance is there. The value is there.

And, oh yes, so is the "wow."
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM

"an available 21-inch wheel-and-tire upgrade " ??
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Admin Emeritus

Decent article. Better said than how the disciplines managed to put it but I am very surprised that they think so highly of it. Not because of the car itself, but because they are sometimes harsh on American cars. Perhaps that in itself says something...

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
It is to some. That's fine, it is all relative to the person who is writing the check. I think that it would be better if people reserved their judgment until after they drive it but to some even a terrific driving experience won't outshine a larger than desired weight number (again, relative).

I remember when the 1998 Camaro came out. Many people hated the new "catfish" look. I also remember that some of the loudest complainers of it gave in and bought one when they saw then in person.

It will happen again. *COUGH*
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM

Welp. Looks like the V-6 is for me. I can afford it and it's just as fast as a Dodge Magnum R/T
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM

...and a HydroMatic automatic with wheel-mounted manual shift buttons
SOLD!

That's all I needed to know.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Blasphemous !

"The Mustang can only dream of delivering handling at this level of performance and sophistication."

Blasphemous !!! They must be lying !!!

All the experts here on these boards swore to me that a 3800 pound beast can not and will not perform nor be able to be agile, so it's absolutely Motor Trend that is paid by GM to say that !!!

My god i can't wait to drive one !!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Hey, Scott. If anybody at HQ is reading this - tell 'em that they have at least one V6 RS buyer who would ante up for FE3 if made available at a reasonable upgrade charge!

If they can really hit 19/27 that will be astounding though the 18/26 is certainly nothing to sneeze at with that level of performance.

I think that the car mags, as hard as they are on the U.S. manufacturers sometimes, really want this car to be a hit for GM. I think they appreciate the thought and effort that's gone into it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 AM

It looks like this is going to be the must "upscale" pony car ever. I definitely like the direction GM took the Camaro.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

i found their quote funny:

"The high-pitched exhaust note is decidedly non-musclecar; it almost says "Asian tuner car."
Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 AM

I'll be interested to see what they say in comparison tests when they actually get impressions with the cars side-by-side. The V6 Mustang's suspension isn't exactly tuned to be a corner-carver either.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
i found their quote funny:

"The high-pitched exhaust note is decidedly non-musclecar; it almost says "Asian tuner car."
Leave it to the Mustang guy to find the ONE negative comment made. And to wave it like a proud flag. The author also said that the sound was still being worked on.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM

I love all the praise the V6 is getting, but I want to hear just as good news or better with the V8, noted that it will be 2 more months before we got that information.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed

Hhhhhmmmmmm...is the radio readout going to be hard to read in the noon day sun???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend: First Drive Camaro V6