2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Why you reportedly won't be seeing Chevy's Camaro doing the NASCAR roundy-round

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Why you reportedly won't be seeing Chevy's Camaro doing the NASCAR roundy-round

Filed under: Motorsports, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, GM

There are people who have been waiting to find out if Chevrolet's new Camaro is going to be doing the NASCAR rounds and ovals, and yesterday General Motors' head of motorsport issued the answer: No. Why not? Because GM wants the Camaro to look like a Camaro when it races, not like that NASCAR Mustang that was rolled out a week ago.

GM's Mark Kent said that because of "the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates that we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car." Instead, Bumblebee could be headed to the KONI Challenge series or drag racing with the NHRA. No disrespect to NASCAR, but they'll be places where you can see racing Camaros instead of racing stickers.

[Source: Orlando Sentinel]Why you reportedly won't be seeing Chevy's Camaro doing the NASCAR roundy-round originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Amen to that. I hope the Camaro NEVER enters NASCAR.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM

I totally agree. That mustang looks horrible
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm glad that GM had the ***** to not blindly follow Mustang into the NASCAR abyss...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM

A-MEN!!!!!!!!

NASCAR is NOT a car race, does absolutely nothing for a car's image (aside from those still really dumb enough to still think that Fusion or Impala sticker on a standardized NASCAR body influences sales of the real car.... Monte Carlo anyone?), does nothing as far as the car's development, does squat as far as demonstrating a car's ability, is overshadowed by the fact that NASCAR vehicles are nothing more than billboards (People remember the car sponsored by the "male enhancement" pill, but don't know the supposed name of the supposed car it's on).

Stock car racing lost it's right to be called "stock cars" in the 90s. It's almost an insult seeing an Impala SS name (let alone any other car) on a COT. The Mustang NASCAR looks absolutely horrendous. Challenger's isn't much better... same horrible body, similar mis-shaped grille that has as little to do with the actual car as Mustang's does.

NASCAR is OK when there is no real racing on, or if you get your rocks off on the pit crew that can refuel and change tires the quickest, or you have a soap-like facination with the dramas of the drivers.

But as a avenue for new cars in showrooms, ther'e better off without being involved in NASCAR.

There are plenty of REAL racing avenues the Camaro can be involved with instead of getting in that business.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM

This is good to hear
Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Yeah! Good call, because that "Camaro 6" (shown above) is a real car -- not a cookie-cutter same-old-same-old COT. Hallelujah, GM! I can't wait to see a race between cars that look like ones I can really (or would want to) buy.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NewsBot
No disrespect to NASCAR, but they'll be places where you can see racing Camaros instead of racing stickers.
Good.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 AM

I like this Mark Kent guy!
we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates that we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car.
No disrespect to NASCAR, but they'll be places where you can see racing Camaros instead of racing stickers.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Besides it's not like the Mustang and Challenger are in the Sprint/Nextel or whatever name they are using this year cup. It's the Nationwide series and nobody cares nor watches that. It's like the WNBA even for NASCAR!

I can't wait to see the Camaro in NHRA Pro Stock as it would be a great return for a great drag racer. But not Funny Car...

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 08-06-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 AM

Glad to hear this. I might feel different if NASCAR could still truly be considered stock car racing. I'd much rather watch a Camaro with the number 6 on it haul *** around a road course in the KONI series or something similar anyways. Good for GM!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
A-MEN!!!!!!!!

NASCAR is NOT a car race, does absolutely nothing for a car's image (aside from those still really dumb enough to still think that Fusion or Impala sticker on a standardized NASCAR body influences sales of the real car.... Monte Carlo anyone?), does nothing as far as the car's development, does squat as far as demonstrating a car's ability, is overshadowed by the fact that NASCAR vehicles are nothing more than billboards (People remember the car sponsored by the "male enhancement" pill, but don't know the supposed name of the supposed car it's on).

Stock car racing lost it's right to be called "stock cars" in the 90s. It's almost an insult seeing an Impala SS name (let alone any other car) on a COT. The Mustang NASCAR looks absolutely horrendous. Challenger's isn't much better... same horrible body, similar mis-shaped grille that has as little to do with the actual car as Mustang's does.

NASCAR is OK when there is no real racing on, or if you get your rocks off on the pit crew that can refuel and change tires the quickest, or you have a soap-like facination with the dramas of the drivers.

But as a avenue for new cars in showrooms, ther'e better off without being involved in NASCAR.

There are plenty of REAL racing avenues the Camaro can be involved with instead of getting in that business.
I couldn't agree more. Way to go GM. Let the Mustang be the mullet car of this generation. Camaro drivers have had to deal with that crap for far to long.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Wow that Mustang is hideous! Good move GM.