2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Proud Oshawa mayor and his Camaro SS ruffle some feathers

Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Proud Oshawa mayor and his Camaro SS ruffle some feathers

Filed under: Coupe, Government/Legal, Chevrolet, GM

2010 Chevrolet Camaro - Click above for high-res image gallery

The hot-selling 2010 Chevy Camaro is made in Oshawa, Canada. The mayor of Oshawa, John Gray, drives a spanking new red Camaro SS with a white racing stripe, just like the one that introduced the bowtie muscle car to the Middle East back in June. Supporting locally made products sounds like a shrewd move for any politician, especially when the city is footing the bill for your ride. A free Camaro is a great job perk, but one Oshawa resident - Bill Steele - doesn't agree.

Steele says the mayor is "flaunting this gas-guzzling vehicle all around town... and I don't like that I'm paying for part of a sports car that gets 17 miles to the gallon." Steele serves up the city's high tax rates as a reason why the mayor shouldn't be driving a Camaro. Of course, without over 400 Camaros being built in Oshawa per day, there would likely be thousands fewer tax payers to help pay those already high taxes. Mayor Gray knows there are a few citizens who don't like his pricey, thirsty pony car, but that thankfully isn't stopping him from driving it. Thanks for the tip, Alan!

Gallery: 2010 Chevy Camaro launches in the Middle East

[Source: MSN Autos]Proud Oshawa mayor and his Camaro SS ruffle some feathers originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM

what a dumbass. let people drive whatever they want why should it even matter to him.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM

if i knew more id comment better, but form what this post has in it, the guy sounds almost right. the car does get horrible mileage. always will, its a performance model. i dont think the mayor should get one for free, make him pay for it. and if the mayor wasnt so "allowing" of GM to build it there, maybe it'd finally come home after wasting time being put together up there.

add in stuipd quip about the st therese plant and camaro not being american later.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM

17mpg.... lets not be ridiculous. thats the worst you can get. I can counter argue so easily it gets 25mpg.

State the average rating not the lowest, thats a cheap shot.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
i dont think the mayor should get one for free, make him pay for it.
you know my taxes pay his salary. either way it costs the same. personally i could careless.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Maybe if this guy test drove an SS, he might change his mind about it.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM

let the guy drive whatever he wants! why would people get mad that he has a job and does his job well, and wants to have a little fun. hes human just like everyone else. car looks great.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 AM

his car is Orange according to Toronto Star...anyways...who cares?? the city pays him to be the mayor and run a good city. they supply a car as part of the package. the biggest employer in town is builging the new world class Camaro...what do people in Oshawa expect him to drive? a Hyundai.....???
Gimme a break. Right on Mr Mayor!!!. You did the RIGHT thing. Enjoy your Camaro as I enjoy mine.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
17mpg.... lets not be ridiculous. thats the worst you can get. I can counter argue so easily it gets 25mpg.

State the average rating not the lowest, thats a cheap shot.
15.2 over here...granted that's almost entirely city driving but it's a LOT lower than I was expecting
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by zq8colorado04
15.2 over here...granted that's almost entirely city driving but it's a LOT lower than I was expecting
stay out of that throttle. buy an intake. it will help you getit up there a little more.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
his car is Orange according to Toronto Star...anyways...who cares?? the city pays him to be the mayor and run a good city. they supply a car as part of the package. the biggest employer in town is builging the new world class Camaro...what do people in Oshawa expect him to drive? a Hyundai.....???
Gimme a break. Right on Mr Mayor!!!. You did the RIGHT thing. Enjoy your Camaro as I enjoy mine.
if he bought something else that same DB would be complaining anyway.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM

So they found one jerk and wrote an article.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by NewsBot
A free Camaro is a great job perk, but one Oshawa resident - Bill Steele - doesn't agree.

Steele says the mayor is "flaunting this gas-guzzling vehicle all around town... and I don't like that I'm paying for part of a sports car that gets 17 miles to the gallon."
If I were a bettin' man, I'd say that Bill Steele doesn't know anything about cars or the auto industry and drives a Toyota.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM

He should be riding the bus. Public office, public servant, public transportation.
Entitlement makes me sick.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Actually this news hit the tv news last week sometime.

Lots of people are actually complaining about it, mainly because he didn't pay for it as it comes from his 'car allowance' as part of being mayor (which is funded by taxes)

Mind you other mayors have the same deal going on (brampton and oakville with Chrysler and Ford respectively) where they drive vehicles assembled in their cities.

I'm sure the same people would complain if the guy from Brampton drove a challenger or any other SRT8 from that plant.

They probably wouldn't be complaining if he used his own money to buy the vehicle and support the city,
but as he is, he's driving it at the tax payers expense. Wonder if he pays for the gas that fills it (in itself could also be a valid complaint)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEWS: Proud Oshawa mayor and his Camaro SS ruffle some feathers