2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Priced: 2010 Ford Mustang Undercuts Base 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Anyone with ANY sense, even if they don't like the styling, will see the Camaro as the best buy of the bunch. The price is higher because it's the overall superior car, as usual! That's been the whole point of the car since the 67 model. If it was only lighter that view could be multiplied.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
And the V6 Mustang only has 210hp while the V6 Camaro has direct-injected 300hp. And according to this article a fully optioned GT would be around $36,000, about $1,500 more than an SS Camaro I put together on the Camaro calculator. However you slice it, they are closely priced but until they hit the tracks we won't know which will be king. And yes I purposefully left Challenger out.
The only thing you left out is that the 36k pricetag is for a GT CONVERTIBLE, which runs about 4 grand more than the coupe.

The V8 cars will be closer to a 3-4k difference in price, 1SS vs GT Deluxe....2SS vs GT Premium.

Not saying the Camaro isn't the better car, but I think $3000 to $4000 dollars price difference will be a major player for buyers on the fence.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
The only thing you left out is that the 36k pricetag is for a GT CONVERTIBLE, which runs about 4 grand more than the coupe.

The V8 cars will be closer to a 3-4k difference in price, 1SS vs GT Deluxe....2SS vs GT Premium.

Not saying the Camaro isn't the better car, but I think $3000 to $4000 dollars price difference will be a major player for buyers on the fence.
A GT convertible with a solid axle and 315hp.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Yeah, if the extra 100+ HP and a real suspension don't do it for the SS over the GT, and neither do the better styling and more features, the buyer is retarded.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
Also if you read closely the v8 loaded vert mustang is 36K I would assume the non vert is cheaper, although without the 400 hp 5.0 the 2010 mustang seems like a dud compared to the 422hp 2010 camaro.

Yeah, it's going to get it's @$$ handed to it at every stoplight!

Last edited by Logansneo; 12-03-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 PM

More features???

Please elaborate what features the Camaro SS has over the Mustang. If you say 422hp V8 and IRS............. that does not explain $3k-4k.

I'm talking features/options.

Just curious, as I have not followed the Camaro closely, or its options/features.

A question, does the fully optioned Camaro have Navigation?? I do know that the Mustang does.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
More features???

Please elaborate what features the Camaro SS has over the Mustang. If you say 422hp V8 and IRS............. that does not explain $3k-4k.

Wow, I got a really good laugh out of that.

Even if the Mustang makes you breakfast with freshly squeezed OJ in the morning, it's still down 90-100+ horsepower across the board and has the aforementioned live axle.
With that being said, the Camaro (and Firebird) have won the HP wars from 1993-2002 and will win them again starting in 2009, yet the Mustang has outsold them all those years.
However, if this new Camaro appeals to a wider audience (read: WOMEN) like the Mustang has, we could see a return to the '70s when the F-body OWNED the Mustang in sales.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM

More features???

I'm talking features/options.

Just curious, as I have not followed the Camaro closely, or its options/features.
Actually...100 more hp and IRS would settle that 3k price difference quite soundly...but there is more.

Everything that follows in in regards to what's standard on a 1SS Camaro v. Mustang GT Deluxe

-6-speed transmissions across the line. Ford has 4-speed autos (I think?) and 5-speed manuals.

-4-piston Brembo brakes on all corners, Ford has 2 and 1-piston.

-20" wheels v. 18 inchers on the Ford

-6-airbags (including side-curtain) in the Camaro, front and back. Ford only has Front, and front-side (so..4)

-The Camaro has leather-wrapped shifter, steering wheel, and center console, the Mustang...doesn't.

-Camaro has GM's LCD-screen (I think it's LCD) driver information center. The Mustag comes with something similar...but imo, not quite as good as GM's system.

-It was "trained" on Germany's Nurburgring (Mustang, to my knowledge wasn't), and the recent IVER V6 reviews have all said something fantastic about even the base V6's handling, and our resident "disciples" can attest to both the V6, and SS's handling prowess.

And there's a few other advantages the Camaro has that I'm just not thinking of at the moment...but they're there.
All Mustang info taken from here:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/asp/modu...OrderGuide.pdf
A question, does the fully optioned Camaro have Navigation?? I do know that the Mustang does.
Not touch-screen based Navigation. GM has equipped the Camaro with OnStar turn-by-turn in order to allocate money to more important things. (in my very humble opinion, I recommend using this feature before judging it).
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Hopefully GM makes it to produce the Camaro. Its good to have choices and competition. Camaro seems to be put together well, but we'll see what the general public feels. I really liked the bumble bee camaro, but all the other pics I've seen haven't really made me drool. May be a 'looks better in person' deal. At the same time, I wasn't in awe over the 05 stang when it first came out, but thought it had potential.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 AM

it doesnt even really matter what the BASE price is. when was the last time you know of anyone who ordered a "base" car? they use the base price to get you into the dealership and then when your in there they sell you a car on the lot. which most of the time has alot of extras on it. so maybe what they need to find out is what do the cars cost with the same amount of goodies in both. the camaro i would have expected to be more than the mustang just because almost everything seen is standard. mustangs have to pay for some of the things the camaro gets added in the "base price".
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Actually...100 more hp and IRS would settle that 3k price difference quite soundly...but there is more.

Everything that follows in in regards to what's standard on a 1SS Camaro v. Mustang GT Deluxe

-6-speed transmissions across the line. Ford has 4-speed autos (I think?) and 5-speed manuals.

-4-piston Brembo brakes on all corners, Ford has 2 and 1-piston.

-20" wheels v. 18 inchers on the Ford

-6-airbags (including side-curtain) in the Camaro, front and back. Ford only has Front, and front-side (so..4)

-The Camaro has leather-wrapped shifter, steering wheel, and center console, the Mustang...doesn't.

-Camaro has GM's LCD-screen (I think it's LCD) driver information center. The Mustag comes with something similar...but imo, not quite as good as GM's system.

-It was "trained" on Germany's Nurburgring (Mustang, to my knowledge wasn't), and the recent IVER V6 reviews have all said something fantastic about even the base V6's handling, and our resident "disciples" can attest to both the V6, and SS's handling prowess.

And there's a few other advantages the Camaro has that I'm just not thinking of at the moment...but they're there.
All Mustang info taken from here:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/asp/modu...OrderGuide.pdf
Not touch-screen based Navigation. GM has equipped the Camaro with OnStar turn-by-turn in order to allocate money to more important things. (in my very humble opinion, I recommend using this feature before judging it).
You're slippin there, Joe! You forgot the standard oil cooler and tranny cooler on the 1SS.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM

This 100hp thing has got to stop. For everyday driving, and in the 1000-3000 rpm areas of the torque curves, there just isn't a significant difference between a 300 and 430 hp car.

Edit: This analogy only applies to the vast majority of folks who won't race their cars.

Last edited by CLEAN; 12-05-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM

This 100hp thing has got to stop. For everyday driving, and in the 1000-3000 rpm areas of the torque curves, there just isn't a significant difference between a 300 and 430 hp car.
i think the biggest difference is the v6 model which was were the BASE model conversation was talking about. so 210 compared to 300 hp is a huge difference. and as far as everyday driving maybe not but the ocasional joy ride, it does matter.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM

More features???

It doesn't? Then how do you explain the $12k plus price increase between the GT and the GT500?

Who REALLY buys a sports car only to think about everyday driving and the 1k-3k rpm range? By that logic you could compare an Aveo to a Gallardo. I'm sure we could find something that the Mustang will have an advantage with. Maybe we could measure the diameter of the shift ball or something?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, you want to compare the torque curves from 1000-3000 rpm of the 4.6L to the LS3?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEWS: Priced: 2010 Ford Mustang Undercuts Base 2010 Chevrolet Camaro