2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Sports/GTs, Chevrolet

Click above for a high-res gallery of the 2010 Chevy Camaro SS

It seems like eons since Chevy initially unveiled the Camaro concept in Detroit. Since then, we've seen so many camouflaged test mules and pre-production cars that we were starting to worry the design would feel too familiar before the Camaro hit dealerships. In reality, three years is a relatively short time for car to go from concept to reality, and from the reactions we saw on the show floor, the Camaro has nothing to worry about. Despite the focus on green cars, the Camaro was still one of the most popular vehicles at the Chevrolet display and we had to wait our turn to get a look inside. We are big fans of the overall design and love the retro look, but were somewhat disappointed with the overall feel and quality of materials used inside -- the 2010 Mustang easily trumps the Camaro in terms of interior quality. Still, the true test will come when we can fire up the LS3 V8 and take advantage of the 400 horsepower and six-speed transmission.

Gallery: Detroit 2009: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Gallery: Detroit 2009: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Photos copyright (C)2009 Drew Phillips / Weblogs, Inc.Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM

The 5th gen is winning my heart over like the boxy little 3rd gens did when I was a kid. As an enthusiast, I'm excited that it's so very close to being real and live.

I'm not sure what to make of the comment about the Camaro's interior. I think that it would be a ballsy move for GM to cost-cut on materials and finishes given that the car starts at $23k and the overall competitiveness of the current market. Performance-only enthusiasts will be smitten, I'm sure, but I'm feeling nervous as someone who wants "grade A work and materials" throughout the entire car. Giving GM the benefit of the doubt, I'll wait until I sit in one to decide for myself.

I also haven't seen the 2010 Mustang. Perhaps Ford put a lot of time and money into the interior?

I'm not sure, but this is the last thing I wanted to hear about a company that's supposed to be building better cars.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

who is actually sayingthe interior isnt good? or as good as they werethinking? whats not to like about it?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I also haven't seen the 2010 Mustang. Perhaps Ford put a lot of time and money into the interior?
I haven't seen it in person, but pictures and reviews indicate that they really raised the bar here.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
who is actually sayingthe interior isnt good? or as good as they werethinking? whats not to like about it?
Ummm, everything. The interior is why I'm not getting one. I cannot stand that the center console does not sweep up into the radio area. The design of the radio prevents any aftermarked radio/GPS/video screen. And the flat, plain passenger side....blah. Where is the dual cockpit design that is in almost every GM car these days? That designer should be demoted to designing lug nut covers.

B
Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 PM

As soon as I saw the new Mustang interior, I knew the Camaro would get torched in the press in that area.

I really don't get it, back in '06, the interior was pretty much unanamously disliked by everybody, I seem to recall GM even saying that they know they'll have to redo the interior, but they didn't. It carried over all the odd design touches that the concept had.

It wouldn't take much to clean it up....redo the HVAC controls, the center console (put a lid on the cupholders), and make sure all the fake metal on the inside matches (right now, youve got chrome on the door handles, parking brake button, and steering wheel ring...silver paint on the dash gauge surrounds and the steering wheel spokes, and a third, kind of pewter looking paint on the center console/HVAC area. Mustang got real aluminum .

Overall I like the car though, would have found some way to get a little chrome in the grille area, and would have sprayed the visible part of the mufflers black like they do on the Corvettes, would have given the non-black interior colors color matching carpet (too much black in the interiors, too hot here in Texas).

NOTE: It appears to me that on the silver RS, they're using the polished wheels. Didn't they get the idea to make those wheels available w/ the RS package from us? Looks DAM good!

Last edited by CLEAN; 01-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033
Where is the dual cockpit design that is in almost every GM car these days?
Should a Camaro with heritage styling feature a dual cockpit design when no Camaro has ever featured this in history? Besides, shouldn't a Camaro interior be unique and not a carbon copy of every other GM product?

Every man has his opinions, but I say any Camaro man (or woman) who doesn't like this car should have their Camaro enthusiast I.D. checked at the door.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM

I saw both at the auto show in VA Veach last weekend. I think quality is about the same. The Mustang interior is an improvement over 2008, but still looked pretty plain. The Camaro's interior has style. I can see how one may like the Mustang's interior more. Especially if you are a conservative Camry or Accord driver. I guess personal preference is why all cars don't look alike inside. I'm sure any quirks in the Camaro's interior will be fixed by production.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
now i haven't sat in one so i'm going on just the pictures but have looked at a lot of them but to me the interior looks cheap. like cobalt cheap. i am trying to get to detroit to see it in person.

even the overall design isn't that great.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM

I sat in an IVER car. I like the layout. I'm GLAD it doesn't have the double cockpit dash with sweeping console that EVERY other car has nowadays.

I have yet to sit in a production model, so I'll reserve judgement of materials till then.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM

looks very good. Kinda sad I am not ordering one...

Thats one ugly IP though (tach and speedo housing)....looks fisher-price cheap. Other then that the interior looks fairly good.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM

This is from AutoBlog. Do you really want to trust a website that is calle AutoBlog? Ford could have paid them $20 to post that crap. Just saying...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenpo21
This is from AutoBlog. Do you really want to trust a website that is calle AutoBlog? Ford could have paid them $20 to post that crap. Just saying...
post what? perfectly fine pictures?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033
Ummm, everything. The interior is why I'm not getting one. I cannot stand that the center console does not sweep up into the radio area. The design of the radio prevents any aftermarked radio/GPS/video screen. And the flat, plain passenger side....blah. Where is the dual cockpit design that is in almost every GM car these days? That designer should be demoted to designing lug nut covers.

B
yeah, your 96 interior is way better! if you cant stand the interior in the 5th gen how in the heck do you put up with your 4th gens interior? now that interior sucks ***** and this is coming from a guy that owns 3 of em.

i think its funny that majority of the guys that diss the new cars interior still own a 4th gen with a cavalier dash and console.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by kenpo21
Autoblog is actually a credible source... They review lots of cars every year and even obtain them from manufacturers for long term testing.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the new Mustang has a bit nicer interior than the Camaro. That was the intent of the refresh, to keep it competitive. It obviously isn't there performance wise, so where else was Ford supposed to compete? The Camaro obviously has superior hardware from chassis, to brakes, to engine.

I have to admit I am a little disappointed at say the guage cluster and dash lay out, but whatever, I realize everyone is going to be happy with every aspect of the car. I will reserve my final judgement on the interior until I get to sit in one. I am hoping the quality of materials in the car are at least on par with everything else in the segment.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro