2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Plants/Manufacturing, Chevrolet

GM Inside News has obtained a letter from Russel Clark, Director of Marketing for Chevrolet small cars, small utilities and performance cars, to dealers informing them that shipments of all 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 produced to date are being held by General Motors for a "quality assessment."

There is no explanation as to what's causing the hold or its duration, though the letter does say it "may last a few more weeks." Motor Authority has Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran on record saying, "We may have found a potential issue that we want to resolve." If you think you know what the issue is, let us know in the comments or send us a tip.

Being one of the Bowtie brand's halo cars, the Camaro ZL1 can hardly afford a hiccup in its roll out. Though with a 580-horsepower 6.2-liter V8 underhood and sub-$55k starting price, we're certain that a few weeks wait won't change the number of people in line to buy one.

See below to read the letter to dealers in its entirety.Continue reading Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue

Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: NEWS: Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue

Anyone know what the holdup is?

If it is what I think it is (which I am not allowed to divulge, especially in case I am wrong), it is not a major issue but one of those things they don't want going out to dealerships.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Re: NEWS: Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue

Originally Posted by JasonD
Anyone know what the holdup is?

If it is what I think it is (which I am not allowed to divulge, especially in case I am wrong), it is not a major issue but one of those things they don't want going out to dealerships.
now, why would you even say that?....... knowing you cant say...it does no good to suspicious minds.

its not the same issue they had with the ss is it? the battery power cable?

or maybe its having a hard time digesting all those mustangs!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Ya know, that could have been worded a lot differently to make it seem like nothing ...

Dear Friendly Chevy Dealer

We are pleased to announce initial deliveries of the much anticipated ZL1 are but a few weeks away! You will be notified as soon as all models pass final quality inspection

-Marketing
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Ya know, that could have been worded a lot differently to make it seem like nothing ...

Dear Friendly Chevy Dealer

We are pleased to announce initial deliveries of the much anticipated ZL1 are but a few weeks away! You will be notified as soon as all models pass final quality inspection

-Marketing
There's a big difference between saying "Your car is coming soon" and "Your car that was coming next week isn't coming next week and we aren't sure when it's coming -- there may be something wrong with it."
Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM

"The... uh... letters on the rear view mirror onstar button wouldn't light up. We are ordering new rear view mirrors"
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Woops.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Administrator

I think this is being made into a much bigger issue than it actually is. This is, for all intents and purposes, a new car for GM. There are so many things they need to do before, during, and after building said new car. The QC hold process is nothing new, and is actually a GOOD thing. If they did find an issue with the car, then GREAT - that is why they put the process in place to begin with.

As far as I know, no shipments of Camaro ZL1's have left the factory to "halt" yet anyways.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez
I think this is being made into a much bigger issue than it actually is. This is, for all intents and purposes, a new car for GM. There are so many things they need to do before, during, and after building said new car. The QC hold process is nothing new, and is actually a GOOD thing. If they did find an issue with the car, then GREAT - that is why they put the process in place to begin with.

As far as I know, no shipments of Camaro ZL1's have left the factory to "halt" yet anyways.
well jasons response was pretty much what made it a bigger deal i think and the way they word it.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 03-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
well jasons response was pretty much what made it a bigger deal i think and the way they word it.
Not quite...I was trying to say it is NOT a big deal if it is what I think it is, but didn't want to mention what it was in case I am incorrect...which I might be.

Frezza elaborated on what I was trying to say...they don't want little things popping up because people make bigger deals about it than they need to. With all the attention on this car, they don't need that. The same thing happened when the 2010s came out.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM

but what if its not what you think it is? then theres 2 issues. a little advice...when you know things but cant tell...just dont even say anything.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

How about this advice...

Don't try to read into what isn't there and don't make a bigger deal out of something than needed.

Plus...if it is not what I think it is...that would be one LESS thing...not the addition of.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead or anything...I was just trying to say, it is probably something really minor and they don't want people blowing it out of proportion like previously done in the past.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
a little advice...when you know things but cant tell...just dont even say anything.
Yeah, what he said.

Could it be that Jason is so worried about his upcoming challenge with Chris that he is just trying to get in his head. "Chris you want to take it easy, they may or may not have fixed that thing that I may or may not know about before they delivered your ZL1."

I'm sure that anything that they know of, minor or major, will be taken care of before they ship.

Bob - Member Team Frezza
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Turns out I was wrong, and good thing too.

I thought it was the case of them all blowing up. I don't mean engine failure, I mean blowing the hell right up. Little mushroom clouds all over the country, resulting in little car part pieces scattered everywhere.

*WHEW* Good thing I was wrong!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Turns out I was wrong, and good thing too.

I thought it was the case of them all blowing up. I don't mean engine failure, I mean blowing the hell right up. Little mushroom clouds all over the country, resulting in little car part pieces scattered everywhere.

*WHEW* Good thing I was wrong!
LMAO so like mushroom clouds on delivery or weeks after crash testing?

Quick Reply: NEWS: Chevy stops halts shipments of Camaro ZL1 over potential quality issue