2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Chevy Camaro successor spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Chevy Camaro successor spied for the first time

Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet

It's entirely possible that these items could indicate that this is the next-gen ZL1 or SS 1LE.

We have our very first spy photos of the next-generation, 2016 Chevrolet Camaro, in what looks like a higher-performance variety. The heavily camo'd tester was spotted on General Motors' Milford, MI proving grounds alongside other GM vehicles, including a Chevy Impala and a Cadillac Escalade.

Despite the hefty amounts of camo, our spies' very long lenses reveal that the next-gen muscle car will sport a more aggressive and slightly more muscular aesthetic, with what appears to be a lower roofline and a shorter rear decklid. The area between the rear doors and the rear wheel also appears tighter, while the front wheels look closer to the car's corners. Obscured by the camo, it also looks like this new model may feature a more rounded rear end.

There are also a few high-performance bits and bobs on display here. The quad exhausts are rather prominent in the rear bumper, while large, flashy wheels aren't what we're use to seeing on a vehicle so early in its development. A rear spoiler can be seen poking off the rear decklid, while the hood sports what look like some cooling vents. It's entirely possible that these items could indicate that this is the next-gen ZL1 or SS 1LE.

Underneath the sheetmetal, a new, lighter Alpha platform is tipped to replace the current car's older Zeta platform, and has been given the codename A1BC. Under hood, six and eight-cylinder engines are expected to be offered, as well as the 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder found on Alpha-platform cars like the Cadillac ATS and CTS.

As for when we can expect it to hit showrooms, our spies claim production will begin in October of 2015 in Lansing, MI. Considering that, establishing a timeline points to a debut at either the Detroit Auto Show in January, or at April's New York Auto Show.

Of course, we'll keep our ear to the ground for any additional info. Until then, head up top and take a look at our expansive first-look gallery of the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro.Chevy Camaro successor spied for the first time originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:03 PM

Re: NEWS: Chevy Camaro successor spied for the first time

I can't believe I just found/read this article...

I'm liking this. Quite a bit. It's hard to tell exactly what the car will look like. But, it appears it is not 2nd gen inspired as a recent article mentioned was going to happen which suits me fine.

In fact, the looks of this reminds of a more prevalent rumor floating around not long ago: the new Camaro would be based on a new platform, be lighter, slightly smaller, and have minor cosmetic changes/alterations.

This is encouraging to me. Some other articles are mentioning some more solid information should coming soon with a possibility of the car being introduced at an industry show in the not to distant future. I can't wait.