2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

New OnStar feature for 09

Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 AM

Why would someone need to slow your vehicle down unless you were being chased and not pulling over? Beats spike strips. I don't think it's as much of an issue as some people do. (Not in reference to anyone in particular, just making a statement)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by graham
No its not.

Is it lawful for a 3rd party to manipulate your car? In Mississippi your car is an extension of your home. Is there a federal or state law on the books making it lawful for 3rd party intervention on your car?
I have not seen any mention of laws challenging that concept, the 3rd party intervention takes place at the owner's request.
Clyde
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by graham
No its not.

Is it lawful for a 3rd party to manipulate your car? In Mississippi your car is an extension of your home. Is there a federal or state law on the books making it lawful for 3rd party intervention on your car?
I agree.

OnStar made the news a few years ago when it was learned that the FBI and who knows what other Law agencies were tapping into the OnStar units and listening to conversations of Gangster types without the people in the car knowing any different. The technology is there, it can and will be abused! This new tech of slowing and stopping a car will be used without the driver or owners permission. It's a fact. I'm not worried about it since I don't plan on running from the cops any time in the near future. This is the Mother of All Black Boxes if you ask me, and I better receive one hell of an insurance discount for putting up with Big Brother.

Last edited by CosmicTrucker; 02-17-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker
I agree.

OnStar made the news a few years ago when it was learned that the FBI and who knows what other Law agencies were tapping into the OnStar units and listening to conversations of Gangster types without the people in the car knowing any different. The technology is there, it can and will be abused! This new tech of slowing and stopping a car will be used without the driver or owners permission. It's a fact. I'm not worried about it since I don't plan on running from the cops any time in the near future. This is the Mother of All Black Boxes if you ask me, and I better receive one hell of an insurance discount for putting up with Big Brother.
I certainly don't ever recall hearing that. Can you perhaps provide a link to relevant news stories?
Clyde
Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker
I agree.

Among the many things that came up in a Google search, this was the closest I could find to your "news" of a "few years ago".

"However, buried deep inside the OnStar system is a feature few suspected - the ability to eavesdrop on unsuspecting motorists.

The FBI found out about this passive listening feature and promptly served OnStar with a court order forcing the company to give it access. The court order the FBI gave OnStar was not something out of the Patriot Act involving international terrorism or national security but a simple criminal case.

According to court records, OnStar complied with the order but filed a protest lawsuit against the FBI.

Yet the FBI was able to enforce the original legal order and completed its surveillance because OnStar's lawsuit took nearly two years to pass through the court system.

An OnStar vehicle modem
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled in OnStar's favor. The ruling was not based on invasion-of-privacy grounds or some other legitimate constitutional basis. The FBI lost because the OnStar passive listening feature disables the emergency signal, the very life-saving call for help that the advertisements tout as the main reason to purchase the system."

That court decision is well documented on many magazines and newspapers websites as well as quite a few anti OnStar sites. You will notice that OnStar filed suit to protect their (and their users) interests and won the case. I like to see documented information rather than "it happened" or "I heard", I was not going to post links to this one since it is documented in so many places, but here is one: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029_3-5109435.html . BTW, many of the fears posted in this thread about tracking and eavesdropping can already be accomplished quite easily with the cell phone most of you carry around, just so you know.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 02-17-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: text
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Most cars are not stolen when its at your property.
Maybe where you live. I had one car stolen and it was from my driveway. My friend's GATED neighborhood averages one stolen car a month, it's just a little closer to the shady part of town. In fact one guy had his truck stolen 3 times in one year. To be honest I only know of one person who had their car stolen away from home.

About Big Brother, I'm told all new cars have a "black box" of sorts that can be used to help police investigate traffic accidents.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 AM

"BTW, many of the fears posted in this thread about tracking and eavesdropping can already be accomplished quite easily with the cell phone most of you carry around, just so you know."

I agree with that statement too. It's also a very true fact many are not aware of.

I believe this proves my original point, that with new technology brings abuse by those in power that use the tech.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM

I don't have a problem with it as long as it is used ONLY when the car has been reported stolen or is actively evading police. On the other hand, I wish that the police were allowed to use Apache helicopters for police chases. A Hellfire missle is a good way to end the chase without damage to innocent bystanders. Frankly I couldn't care less what happens to the puke that steals the car is just running from the police anyway.