2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

New official 2012 camaro colors

Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 AM

Exclamation New official 2012 camaro colors

The NEW 2012 Camaro Gray is OFFICIALLY called Ashen Grey (GLJ)

and the metallic red is Crystal Claret (GBE)

Start up is VERY SOON with limited availability to start!

as posted on my site: http://www.camaroscotty.com/2011/10/...amaro-gray-is/
Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Re: New official 2012 camaro colors

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
The NEW 2012 Camaro Gray is OFFICIALLY called Ashen Grey (GLJ)

and the metallic red is Crystal Claret (GBE)

Start up is VERY SOON with limited availability to start!

as posted on my site: http://www.camaroscotty.com/2011/10/...amaro-gray-is/
I was right!
I found it on the Automotive paint touchup site yesterday and I posted it!

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=833815
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Ashen Gray (at least to me) has more 'gold' in it versus the 'blue' in Cyber Gray Metallic..........slightly darker, perhaps - very rich looking.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

hmmmm id like to see this ashen grey. is it on any other models now? i like the look of cyber grey, but for me personally, it would have to be a bit darker for me to get it. is it similar to the shade that ford has for the mustang?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Scott, based on "Web" research, it's also going to be on the Equinox and Buick - when do you think we'll see photo's?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Nobody listens at GM about getting a nice blue for this car whether it is similar to Grabber Blue, or Electron Blue. The Camaro is missing out. Regardless, I would like to see this new grey in person or at least in pictures.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Nobody listens at GM about getting a nice blue for this car whether it is similar to Grabber Blue, or Electron Blue. The Camaro is missing out. Regardless, I would like to see this new grey in person or at least in pictures.
Sort of like Aqua blue. The color sample looked nasty, and it wasn't until the cars showed up people liked it, that GM finally said "it is not selling well, so lets get rid of it"

Way to give that a chance.

I ordered my car in May of 2009, and I remember hearing Aqua blue was to be discontinued before I even got my car in September.

What about that blue GM used to have in their logo?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM

So is the red the same as Crystal Red Metallic on the Vette/Cadillacs and other GM vehicles?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
So is the red the same as Crystal Red Metallic on the Vette/Cadillacs and other GM vehicles?
yes
Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by skuttduck
Sort of like Aqua blue. The color sample looked nasty, and it wasn't until the cars showed up people liked it, that GM finally said "it is not selling well, so lets get rid of it"

Way to give that a chance.

I ordered my car in May of 2009, and I remember hearing Aqua blue was to be discontinued before I even got my car in September.

What about that blue GM used to have in their logo?

You evidently love bright blues.

I know I do. To wit: There's a Schwinn 'Stingray' bike in Mom Settlemire's garage from 1966.......... In my garage at home there are two bikes - a Schwinn Collegiate (circa 1977) and another (circa about six years ago) - both bright blue..........

Here's the problem: The color does not sell well. Go look at the numbers in the Camaro White Book - started strong in the mid-70s - but tailed off by '81...

In the 4th gen - it dropped to the point where we discontinued it -(Quasar Blue) - we brought back another bright blue in 1999 and it was discontinued after 5 months because it dropped substantially below 3% of build.... (paint will deteriorate in the vats - )

More disturbing is that once we announced that Aqua Blue Metallic (on the 5th gen) was going away - the percentage dropped even further.........and I wasn't happy about it because I think an ABM Camaro with Silver stripes is stunning!

So - while you and I love bright blues, it appears that it's a very trendy color - and with the costs to develop paints being what they are, it's risky. Synergy Green is a color that showed huge risk........but then again, we only intended it to be a limited edition.........the Camaro Community, however, felt that we needed to offer it in all models - so we did........

It's like the fellow at a Marriott Hotel where we have a Camaro show each year.....we were unloading an early "Synergy Green" Camaro off an enclosed carrier - the guy was going nuts over it - raved and raved about how beautiful the color was and how it showed off the lines of Camaro.....after about 20 minutes, I asked him when he'd order his.

I'm not kidding - he said -"Me? -- oh - I'm ordering Victory Red!" -- so I like to say that colors like Bright Blue and Synergy Green are the colors you hope your neighbor orders!

I am not saying that you won't see bright blues in the future - but with 9 to 10 colors allowed (coupled with a paint system that is shared with Impala, Equinox, Regal and Camaro - ) - there are only so many 'bright-expressive' colors that can be offered. (inferno orange and rally yellow on an Equinox or Regal.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......not so much.....Gold Mist on a Camaro??? )

Make no mistake - we're listening - but Bright Blues and Aquas are high risk.....

Last edited by Fbodfather; 10-07-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM

One of the reasons I didn't get a ABM Camaro was my wife talked to me out of it. She kept saying that in certain lights it looked like it had a tint of green and this is coming from someone that LOVED the color of my Electron Blue Z06. So, I ended up with a IBM which i love but it's a bit darker than what I would have really liked.. which is a color like Electron Blue.

How did the C5 Electron Blue do back in the day?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

I have seen CGI renderings of the color...which we know are not always accurate, but as good as they can get for CGI. Compared to the Cyber Gray CGI, I think people will like it. I am confident that I will.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

I know I do. To wit: There's a Schwinn 'Stingray' bike in Mom Settlemire's garage from 1966.......... In my garage at home there are two bikes - a Schwinn Collegiate (circa 1977) and another (circa about six years ago) - both bright blue..........

Here's the problem: The color does not sell well. Go look at the numbers in the Camaro White Book - started strong in the mid-70s - but tailed off by '81...

In the 4th gen - it dropped to the point where we discontinued it -(Quasar Blue) - we brought back another bright blue in 1999 and it was discontinued after 5 months because it dropped substantially below 3% of build.... (paint will deteriorate in the vats - )

More disturbing is that once we announced that Aqua Blue Metallic (on the 5th gen) was going away - the percentage dropped even further.........and I wasn't happy about it because I think an ABM Camaro with Silver stripes is stunning!

So - while you and I love bright blues, it appears that it's a very trendy color - and with the costs to develop paints being what they are, it's risky. Synergy Green is a color that showed huge risk........but then again, we only intended it to be a limited edition.........the Camaro Community, however, felt that we needed to offer it in all models - so we did........

It's like the fellow at a Marriott Hotel where we have a Camaro show each year.....we were unloading an early "Synergy Green" Camaro off an enclosed carrier - the guy was going nuts over it - raved and raved about how beautiful the color was and how it showed off the lines of Camaro.....after about 20 minutes, I asked him when he'd order his.

I'm not kidding - he said -"Me? -- oh - I'm ordering Victory Red!" -- so I like to say that colors like Bright Blue and Synergy Green are the colors you hope your neighbor orders!

I am not saying that you won't see bright blues in the future - but with 9 to 10 colors allowed (coupled with a paint system that is shared with Impala, Equinox, Regal and Camaro - ) - there are only so many 'bright-expressive' colors that can be offered. (inferno orange and rally yellow on an Equinox or Regal.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......not so much.....Gold Mist on a Camaro??? )

Make no mistake - we're listening - but Bright Blues and Aquas are high risk.....
Even the Topaz Blue on the Cruze looks better than the ABM offered on the Camaro. Has GM ever considered a non-metallic blue? I am talking about something similar to Grabber Blue offered on the Mustang. It is such a beautiful and striking color. I would love to see it offered on a Camaro. I am tired of metallic flake colors honestly. This is what I am talking about.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Yes I seriously thought about Aqua Blue. Honestly two reasons I didn't order that color was "no painted engine cover, and splash guards" Getting Red Jewel allowed me to do a transformers themed car with "cliffjumper" and I had a heck of a time finding a RJT high wing spoiler, but I did!

The lack of accessories are another story.

Your note reminds me of my 2008 Diamondback wildwood Citi that is sometimes my alternate mode of transportation.

I understand how you share the line with the other cars. Like you said who would buy an inferno orange Equinox.

I don't know, Imperial Blue looks almost black to me, and Aqua Blue was a great color, but isn't there some shade of blue that would look good not as dark as the Imperial Blue that can be shared?

I do remember in Oshawa 2 years ago for my first BBOMG meeting Walter, and him saying he would love to have a blue convertable to match his 1967!

Anyhow, maybe one of the special editions in the upcoming year could be one of these blue colors!

Also thanks for listening!

Tim
Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM

yes
Thanks...should look very nice in that color. I always thought that the Red Jewel color was a bit too dark IMO. Crystal Red is a little brighther, more Candy-Applish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New official 2012 camaro colors