2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: New Camaro, does it need to be in racing ?
No need
6.45%
drag racing
64.52%
road racing
72.58%
Nascar racing
12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

New Camaro Where do we race it if at all?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

Well they better junp on to NHRA b/c dodge has allready got 2 chargers built for NHRA Super Stock....They also need to be in pro stock but susper stock is closer to what people on the street get to see, and it pushes alot of people like myself to see whats working out there....From the looks of it on paper Dodge has the numbers to go REAL fast
Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
You missed autoX. A great grassroots motorsport where stock pretty much means stock. Pontiac has had great success with the Solstice in C stock, laying a beating on the Miata. It would be real nice to see the Camaro back on top in F stock.
I think the 4th gen Camaro is still tops in FS and if the new Camaro is as heavy as they say it is, the 4th gen will still rule in auto x.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 PM

anywhere the mustang is.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Road racing if I had to pick one, but I'd love to see a presence in everything. Though I think the NASCAR presence should be limited to pace car duties.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
anywhere the mustang is.
there ya go
Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
anywhere the mustang is.
Agreed 120%. I'd like to see the Camaro and Mustang run head to head back in the Trans am series again. Def. want some Camaros in NHRA. Drifting isn't my favorite type of "racing" but since it is the newest thing for the younger crowd this would be a great market for the Camaro to flex it's muscles. Auto X another great market since its not super expensive to run in that series from what my friends have said running in that series. Basicly any form of auto racing with the exception of NASCAR. I do not want to see the Camaro in Nascar for a few reasons. Nascar is a good series dont get me wrong but...the cars are FAR from being stock cars. Theres been a mention here and there about possible Busch Series using Camaros,Mustangs and Challengers. In my opinion these types of cars hitting the high banks of Daytona would be boring. All fiberglass bodies with different decals for head,tail lights and grills and tube chassis. No individuality at all. Nascar is huge in sponsorship, yes it would be a big area for GM sponsorship to get the name out, I'd personally just rather see the Camaro proving itself with out the help of a 5 by 5 decal saying GM on the hood followed by the rest of the car being smothered in other sponsors. The Camaro is a Drag car and is well capable of tackling a roadcourse. One more thing how about the American Lemans Series? GT 2=Camaro Z28, GT 1=Corvette C6-C7 LMP 1-GM supercar
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
definitely road racing and drag racing... also drifting would be cool
I agree! That would be three good place's to showcase the 5th Gen!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Well from what I am hearing it is going to NHRA to replace the Cobalt in Pro Stock and the GTO? It would be fun to see Grumpy Jenkins field a car in his old colors of the Grumpys Toy. Or do a drag race show car painted as Grumpys toy. Scott are you reading this!!

Also look for it to be in Funny car as the Impala they are using this year is only going to be around 2-3 years.

I expect the camaro will be entered in any class that the Mustang is in now. It is the car the Camaro needs to top and no better place than the track.

As for NASCAR, they are wanting to do something different with the Bush series to set it part from Cup. Like it or not NASCAR is the biggest crowd and no better place for product placment to get your car infront of the most people.

The only problem now is how much factory support are your going to get from Ford and Chysler in the future. Ford is worse off than most realize. They can recover but they needs to account for every dollar spent and get the most out of it. As for Chrysler, who will oen thme in the next few years and will they be able to afford a good motorsports program?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 AM

ALMS GT2 Porsche Here we come...

Originally Posted by CamaroZ282008
... One more thing how about the American Lemans Series? GT 2=Camaro Z28, GT 1=Corvette C6-C7 LMP 1-GM supercar.
Thats what Ive had in mind since the new car has been official. I think Camaro in GT2 would be really competitive. It would atleast provide something differient in a class dominated by Porsche. It probably wouldn't be hard to borrow some experience/parts from Team Corvette and give Porsche a run for their money. To those who will say "Camaoro can't compete against the Vettes," the Vettes run in GT1, so if anything if they would have some "friendlys" on the track with them. Maybe to hold up the GT1 Competitors, of course not intentionally.

I 100% agree with those who said Camaro's involvement with Nascar shoudl be pace car only.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:27 AM

I think that a drift program will be essential to appeal to a younger crowd. Face it, the youth market doesn't give a damn about Camaro. Allowing the concept to be used in a rap video was one way to appeal to the youth market. Supporting drifting would be another way. I think NASCAR isn't the right series for the Camaro. NHRA, Drifting and SCCA are where I would spend my marketing dollars, in that order.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by onyxblackz28
Thats what Ive had in mind since the new car has been official. I think Camaro in GT2 would be really competitive. It would atleast provide something differient in a class dominated by Porsche. It probably wouldn't be hard to borrow some experience/parts from Team Corvette and give Porsche a run for their money. To those who will say "Camaoro can't compete against the Vettes," the Vettes run in GT1, so if anything if they would have some "friendlys" on the track with them. Maybe to hold up the GT1 Competitors, of course not intentionally.

I 100% agree with those who said Camaro's involvement with Nascar shoudl be pace car only.
Or just shift the Corvette crew over to a new Camaro GT2 team all together? I heard rumors that the Vette's return to GT1 this year was sketchy until they knew the Aston Martins would return. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that the GT1 field has been dwindling the past few years. On the other hand, the GT2 class is on the rise with a few new teams joining, and an increase in Ferrari 430 GT's in the field.

I don't think it's far fetched to see a Pratt & Miller/GM funded factory Camaro GT2 team in a year or two.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 PM

They need to be back in NHRA for sure.IMO the peak for PRO STK were the 67-73 CAMAROS and when the car was similiar to what was on showroom floors.