2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The Mustang just aged 20 years...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Re: The Mustang just aged 20 years...

Yup, the concept lacks the stance and proportions the 69 had. Its ok, but It looks way too long, with a big front overhang like the 4th gen had. Hope it looks better in person.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 PM

At 186.2" in length it's 10" shorter than the 4th gen. The wheelbase is now 109"...a full 7" longer than the previous car. I think when seen in person, you'll get a different inpression.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:54 PM

I always thought the Mustang looked sad from front on... now I know why!

Seriously, I loved the Mustang before, still love it now... but GM's effort with Camaro must be applauded as the design is far more appealing than that of its ponycar rival, IMO. There is nothing about the Camaro concept design that says it's anything other than ANGRY!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:07 PM

I just dont see it fellas. Not lookin to incite a flamefest, but I just dont like it at all. I WANT to, but ehh.

I wont base my opinion solely on the concept as its probably not going to be the same as the production version, but well.....

This car is just ugly. I hope they change it up for production.

I see ZERO influences from any gen other than 1st in it. 'To me', it just doesnt say 'Camaro'. Im a 3rd/4th gen guy, its what I grew up on, and I see nothing in that car that resembles either one.

If you ask me, the Mustang just pulled AHEAD.... By a large margin.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pickardracing
I just dont see it fellas. Not lookin to incite a flamefest, but I just dont like it at all. I WANT to, but ehh.

I wont base my opinion solely on the concept as its probably not going to be the same as the production version, but well.....

This car is just ugly. I hope they change it up for production.

I see ZERO influences from any gen other than 1st in it. 'To me', it just doesnt say 'Camaro'. Im a 3rd/4th gen guy, its what I grew up on, and I see nothing in that car that resembles either one.

If you ask me, the Mustang just pulled AHEAD.... By a large margin.

What did the 3rd gen pull from the 2nd? What did the 4th gen pull from the 3rd? To me the 1st gen is the quintessential Camaro and thats one reason why I feel so strongly about the 5th gen, I just love it!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:09 AM

After seeing these pics, I still prefer the Challenger....
Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 AM

Im a big fan of all three cars but after seeing these pics, the Camaro to me is by far the most aggresive looking of them all, even if you include the gt500.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: The Mustang just aged 20 years...

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
They all look like they all belong together.

I think the Camaro falls between the Mustang and Challenger for retroness. They all look old and not very impressive to me.

Retro Meter:

Mustang(**5thGen***************************)Challe nger

I totally agree!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Re: Nope

Originally Posted by KevinZ44

I am a little disappointed that the design doesn't look like an updated '69 Camaro, but I suppose that's okay.
Are you serious? That is exactly what it is minus the fender extention lines. It is first gen in nearly every line.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by pickardracing

Look at the front clip(windshield-forward), and you're telling me you don't see any third gen whatsoever? That's just nuts.

The entire front clip looks like an updated third gen with first-gen inspired grill. Less of a point to the nose, but still. The passenger side on the clay model really accentuated the third gen inspiration.

I really like how they took the retro theme, making a sleeker 1st gen, then adding in cues from other generations. The blunt nose was my biggest fuss about retro styling, and they satsified me enough in that respect.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sharker524
Look at the front clip(windshield-forward), and you're telling me you don't see any third gen whatsoever? That's just nuts.

The entire front clip looks like an updated third gen with first-gen inspired grill. Less of a point to the nose, but still. The passenger side on the clay model really accentuated the third gen inspiration.
No third gen at all in that concept. The only design cue that can be taken from the 3rd is the fender flares. The front clip is the most 1st gen looking part of the car even without counting the grill. Look at the shpe, the rake, the flared up sides by the fenders, the huge distance between the wheel well and the top of the fender, the bluntness of the front, recessed grill, and so on.

Where do you see third gen?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:47 AM

I think it's pretty funny that different people see different things in the concept. That's probably a good thing.

I see 3rd Gen inspiration in a lot of the car. The 3rd Gen was easily the most angular of all Camaros, and this concept, just looking at the picture, appears to be in that same mold even with the '69 cues. The 1st Gen in no way had as many sharp creases as this concept does. That's how I see some 3rd Gen.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I think it's pretty funny that different people see different things in the concept. That's probably a good thing.

I see 3rd Gen inspiration in a lot of the car. The 3rd Gen was easily the most angular of all Camaros, and this concept, just looking at the picture, appears to be in that same mold even with the '69 cues. The 1st Gen in no way had as many sharp creases as this concept does. That's how I see some 3rd Gen.
The sharp lines are not a tribute to the 3rd gen, they are just a design element used in recent times by many automakers.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
The sharp lines are not a tribute to the 3rd gen, they are just a design element used in recent times by many automakers.
And how do you know that?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 PM

It's no wonder GM stylists have a hard time giving us what we want... when we can't agree what constitutes a good design among ourselves. It's great that we all have opinions... but when you look at the concept... remind yourself by asking if the concept car is sexier than your current 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen cars... I'm sure the overwhelming response would be YES!!!

The only thing that worries me about the concept (at this early stage) would be the interior if the graphic shots are any guide... but I'm jumping the gun here as we haven't seen the actual interior shots... which could also pleasantly surprise (as in the Challenger's case). Yes, there is still some excitement left in all of us regarding the interior details.

Quick Reply: The Mustang just aged 20 years...