2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May 2007 HOT ROD Magazine-INFO!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Talking May 2007 HOT ROD Magazine-INFO!!

Hello All,

I was just at my local B&N and picked up the new Hot Rod. They stated (take with a grain of salt) that there will be 2 V-6 engines and 3 V-8 engines for the new camaro. The top dog being a 550 hp Z28 model. Both v-8's will be over 400 Horse!! (One automatic and one stick) What do you guys think? Any chance of them being on the mark?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 PM

nope.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Definitely sounds like good news .

However, this has already been discussed in another thread.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hlight=hot+rod

Just an FYI, there is a search feature at the top right of the forums that will allow you search all of the forums for duplicate info.

Welcome to the site!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Smile

OOPS....Sorry! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 PM

OK - I'll bite........no, I don't think they're on the mark.

5 engines seems to be about 2 too many:

-a solid v6 for the cheap crowd
-a solid v8 for the performance crowd
-a no-holds-barred v8 for the I-WANT-IT-ALL crowd

Slotting in another v8 would add complexity for no additional marketability and another v6 would just be useless.

HOWEVER, reading your post it sounds like they're saying 3 v8's, but then separate them by transmission.....so does that mean:

-2 v-6's: one manual, one auto, common engine
-3 v-8's: two manual, one auto, common engine

THAT works for me........
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by 405vette
Hello All,

I was just at my local B&N and picked up the new Hot Rod. They stated (take with a grain of salt) that there will be 2 V-6 engines and 3 V-8 engines for the new camaro. The top dog being a 550 hp Z28 model. Both v-8's will be over 400 Horse!! (One automatic and one stick) What do you guys think? Any chance of them being on the mark?
The stuff you read in any monthly magazine is almost 90 days old. You might want to refer to AutoWeek, or Automotive Age (another weekly), for more up-to-date guesswork and speculation.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Out of curiousity, where do all of these magazines get their info? GM definately isn't going to release anything until the car is almost ready for showrooms. GM isn't going to give Ford or Dodge any insight into the new car so they can have a year and a half to try to "outclass" them.

If I were GM I would say this: It's going to have a V-6, V-8, manual, and automatic... and oh yeah, it's gonna be fast

Had GM know the Tundra would be as powerful as it is, The 6.2L might have been added to the silverado line?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
OK - I'll bite........no, I don't think they're on the mark.

Slotting in another v8 would add complexity for no additional marketability and another v6 would just be useless.

HOWEVER, reading your post it sounds like they're saying 3 v8's, but then separate them by transmission.....so does that mean:

-2 v-6's: one manual, one auto, common engine
-3 v-8's: two manual, one auto, common engine

THAT works for me........

This is just stirring up an old discussion, but I will still give my 2 cents worth.

"Slotting in another v8 would add complexity for no additional marketability and another v6 would just be useless."

I don't see how you can think that. How would adding another V8 make anything more complex? You just put in an L76 based V8 or an LS3 as it goes down the line. What is so complex about that? If they had to develop a whole new engine I would understand.

Also, how would that not be more marketable? An L76 based V8 would likely offer better fueleconomy (however miniscule the difference) and cheaper insurance premiums, but it would still come with a lot of power. I am not a marketing guru, but I would think it is safe to assume that the majority of people have no need for 450 HP and would be perfectly happy with just under 400 HP if it meant a cheaper MSRP and lower cost of ownership. Humm... no marketability?

I do think that they need to offer EITHER a high performance V6 or another V8, but not both. I do not see the benefit of offering a base V6 at about 250 hp, a high performance V6 at about 300HP, a Base V8 at about 350-400 HP, and then the LS3 at 450HP... I would think that in the majority of cases the same people that would buy the base V8 would also be happy with the high performance V6.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead

I have read this many times from many people. What is the reasoning behind two V-8 options? If someone if going to buy a Camaro with a V-8 they are the performance crowd already. So in effect they would want a no-holds-barred engine anyways. In my opinion, a V-6 for normal people who want a good looking, fun car to drive and then a ground pounding, asphalt eating V-8that will please the performance enthusiast. Having many engine options gets confusing and unnecessary not to mention elevating production costs.

All that is really needed is a good V-6 Camaro and a great V-8 for the Z/28.

Screw the SS, that nameplate is becoming overused by Chevrolet.

That's just my feelings on the subject.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Out of curiousity, where do all of these magazines get their info?
i really believe half their stories are gleamed from message boards, the other half they make up.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 PM

I imagine there will be 2 v6 hp ratings, but not necessarily 2 v6 options. Though the thought of it is not unheard of.

Remember, one of the main targeted competitors is the Nissan 350z, and there V6 engine has two hp ratings based on transmission.

Also, look at the sales of such cars as the dodge magnum, which has a total of 4 engine options.
V6-190hp
V6-250hp
V8-340hp
V8-420(?)hp

I'm not saying GM should take after dodges strategy's, but this vehicle is suppose to be revolutionary. So anything is fair game.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 3_z28camaro
I have read this many times from many people. What is the reasoning behind two V-8 options? If someone if going to buy a Camaro with a V-8 they are the performance crowd already. So in effect they would want a no-holds-barred engine anyways. In my opinion, a V-6 for normal people who want a good looking, fun car to drive and then a ground pounding, asphalt eating V-8that will please the performance enthusiast. Having many engine options gets confusing and unnecessary not to mention elevating production costs.

That's just my feelings on the subject.
If the actual costs associated with the two V8s are very close to one another, then i would agree that there only needs to be one. The only reason I would suggest two V8s is if one offers significant cost savings that would make is feasible. Otherwise, I think they should offer 2 V6s and one V8. I still think there would be a substantial market for the high performance 300 hp V6.

What I DO NOT want to happen is for GM to include an entry level V8 and artifically inflate the cost of the LS3 just because of the horsepower gains even though the costs associated with producing it may not be any different from the base V8.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 PM

I disagree. That may have been the formula in the early 1990's, however it doesn't hold true in today's market.

I can see two V6s, one the Camaro "base" engine if you will. It can be a performance V6 as after all this Camaro is agressive looking and no one who buys a new Camaro is going to be the timid type just looking for a grocery getter. The second V6 however, could be a hybrid. (Yes I said the dirty word ) Hybrids are beginning to move upscale, Lexus is proof of this. There's no reason why we can't see a 300-hp V6/Hybrid by the time Camaro hits the market. (It could also be a second year addition.)

On the V8 end, I really only see the need for two. A N/A LS3 and a S/C LS3. Call one SS and one Z/28, I really don't care which at this point... just build the darn thing. No I don't think there needs to be an "entry-level" V8. It just doesn't fit if you have a 300-350 hp V6 as your base model. (Yes, even the base V6 needs that much umph... we're talking about an image that needs to be upheld.)

Then there's the whole historical factor. This Camaro is styled after the 1st gens and even back then they had several engine choices... two L6s, and no less than six V8s.

Anyway, it's just a blue moon guess on my part, but that's what I think.

Overused or not, that appears to be the direction they're heading. Funny thing, yesterday on the way home from work I had to do a double take... here was this white 2006 Aveo coupe (dead stock I'm sure) and it had an "SS" badge next to the "AVEO" badge on the rear deck. I'm sure it was added on by the owner, for on the opposite side was a "peace dove" badge, but it did make me chuckle.

I still think GM needs to build a turbo Aveo SS... but that's a different topic altogether.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:09 PM

5 engines seems somewhat legit to me. I think it'd be an excellent idea if GM could do this financially speaking as far as profit vs money it takes to produce all 5. Heres my look at what the Camaro should get if 5 engines are a possibility.

1. Basic V-6 ( 230 H.P.-250 T.Q.) Auto-
LT=Luxury Touring
2. Performance V-6 (310 H.P.-330 T.Q.) Manual/Auto-
RT=Race Touring
3. Performance/Dollar wise V-8 (5.3L)(340 H.P.-360 T.Q.)Manual/Auto
RS Model
4. Perfomance V-8 (6.2)LS3(430 H.P.-450 T.Q.)Manual/Auto
Z28 Model
5. Super Performance V-8 (6.2)LS3(Supercharged)(550 H.P.-620 T.Q.)
Manual Only
SS Model

Now being that the Camaro may weigh in possibly lighter then the Mustang and most def. the Challenger I think the top dog Camaro would fare just fine with out 650 H.P...But then again theres never TOO much HP/TQ.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM

delete option 3, swap ss with z28 and it makes sense.

Quick Reply: May 2007 HOT ROD Magazine-INFO!!