2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lutz blog on Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:52 PM

Re: Lutz blog on Camaro

I posted on his blog, and god i hope they read it.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:56 PM

I've posted
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM

The LS7 will be old news by the time the Camaro will get 500HP. It will be gone from the Corvette within a few when the base gets bumped to the 480-500 range and the top model (whatever it is to be called) gets the supercharged 600HP variant of the LSX (as per leaked engine documents).
Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm hoping he (and they) are taking notes from that blog. Rather than re-hash, here is my take and what I posted (in case it is reviewed and canned):

"Sir,
I too have been an "F-Body" fan for quite some time, currently enjoying a 2002 SS Convertable. The concept is an excellent starting point and has made a bold statement that GM really CAN develop a design that gets people talking!

As a "Gen X" 30 something with a family, I would think I am a member of the primary demographic with the means to purchase the new offering. Hope to see this in production VERY SOON, before more market share goes to Ford, MOPAR or worst yet- imports. I am, by no means an expert, but it seems like waiting until some where around MY '09 will have GM playing catch-up again.

As for the production version, I'd offer some comments from a future buyer who has driven everything (sedan and coupe) offered from the various manufacturers:

Fit and finish will be a killer. I have noted a significant improvement from GM's offerings in the last couple years in some lines. A clean, creak-free interior with high quality materials will draw folks like me in. Avoid the busy interiors of the previous Pontiacs (example '05 Bonneville) and the cheap feel of the Mustang and MOPAR offerings (Charger/300M). I can't stress enough, the production model needs clean lines vice retro with quality materials (as opposed to the concept's). I realize this car is not intended to compete with the BMW or Lexus, but I will admit the payments on my '02 would be easier if the car felt a bit more refined.

As for the exterior, the bold styling is a welcome change from (sorry) the more recent offerings from GM (save the Solstice). I did find it disturbing that a Chevy salesman (who I'll keep nameless) today noted the concept looks like a "smiling Mustang". Please look toward progressive vice retro. With that, I lothe the angular styling of the new Cadillac line, but love the direction Pontiac has taken- I'm still a fan of the G6, Grand Prix and the now dead Bonneville (just wish they were RWD/AWD).

Thank you for your time and dedication to this project. I hope I can provide something useful.

PS- Please include a performance RWD sedan soon; the Charger has been calling but the boxy/cheesy interior has kept a sales contract at bay!"

I hope the concept is an indication of the direction of GM as a whole. If so, it has the potential to breathe new life into all of the GM lines- or cripple them if they drag their feet with production.

Allen
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 PM

100-150k units

base as close as 20k... high end... a little below or a little above 30k...

according to the blog!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM

posted on the blog.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The LS7 will be old news by the time the Camaro will get 500HP. It will be gone from the Corvette within a few when the base gets bumped to the 480-500 range and the top model (whatever it is to be called) gets the supercharged 600HP variant of the LSX (as per leaked engine documents).
I agree the Camaro will always be second to the Vette,but will always out sell it and out number it for most enthusist's On the street it will rule because a bunch of rich guys will buy the vette and car guys will buy the Camaro,mod as needed and overall will spank that ***
Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I agree the Camaro will always be second to the Vette,but will always out sell it and out number it for most enthusist's On the street it will rule because a bunch of rich guys will buy the vette and car guys will buy the Camaro,mod as needed and overall will spank that ***

the camaro doesnt out number the corvette enthusiasts...

there are children who grow up all their lives wanting nothing but a corvette...

but they arent really a part of the family until they purchase... or atleast out spoken
Old 01-09-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The LS7 crate motor retails for only $10K more than the LS2 crate motor. So logic would dictate that if they can build an LS2 Camaro for under $35K, they could build an LS7 Camaro for under $45K. However, I seriously doubt the LS2 Camaro would be much more than a similarly equipped Mustang or Challenger.
$10k for the motor, but wouldn't it require other upgrades? diff tranny and others to handle the extra power? I dunno...just asking...i'd love to have an ls7
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
$10k for the motor, but wouldn't it require other upgrades? diff tranny and others to handle the extra power? I dunno...just asking...i'd love to have an ls7
I think some would agree...

some people want a ultra powerful sports car, but often times need more then just 2 seats...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ok, where are all the clowns that were laughing at those of us that were suggesting a LS7 in the next gen Camaro?
ya... WHAT NOW!?!?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
Do you really think that GM will sell a Camaro that will stomp the Base vette for less money than the vette?
i expect that the base corvette will get an "upgrade" to 450hp, and about that time we may see a "450hp" LS7 in a camaro for about 40k. that would mean that it's close to the vette in power, but the vette is still "better" due to the rest of the car (weight). yet the camaro's appeal will be that it's a touch cheaper, and it has the almightyl LS7.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM

My opinion is on the blog.. the way I figure, they may gauge public opinion partially off this blog.
If not, the worst it could do is give Mr. Lutz more firepower for pushing this car through GM.

For those who don't know, Bob seems like a Camaro lover himself. If I remember correctly, he also owns a few. I think he's already sold on this car, it's more the corporate side at GM that we have to go through to get this baby in production.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:35 AM

I kinda liked the way he pronounces Camaro.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM

I posted my 2 euro cents worth.

Quick Reply: Lutz blog on Camaro