2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Listing of 2010 Camaro reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Arrow Listing of 2010 Camaro reviews

Okay, the reviews are trickling in. As a review gets released and mentioned, I will add it to this post.

Production Reviews

CamaroZ28.Com 2010 Camaro Reviews

Pre-production Disciple Mentionings
Near Production Camaro Reviews Other Motor Trend: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350

Last edited by JasonD; 05-13-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added more per member suggestions
Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Updated with Motor Trend 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
WTF

Originally Posted by JasonD
Updated with Motor Trend 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350
Linky no worky.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by WTF
Linky no worky.
Adminy go fixy.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm just speculating but my guess is the review embargo GM has imposed will lift when production "officially" begins. Was hoping GM would see the advantage of getting early reviews out, but it IS a new car, not just a redesign like the 2010 Mustang. None the less, congrats on your early look at the cars!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Logansneo
I'm just speculating but my guess is the review embargo GM has imposed will lift when production "officially" begins.
Close...March 20. Production starts March 16.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Okay, guys! I added a couple more. Post them as you find them!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Camaro SS beats Mustang GT and Challenger R/T in MT comparison!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt/index.html
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Camaro SS beats Mustang GT and Challenger R/T in MT comparison!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt/index.html
Added! I know there is more out there, too.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

Added a few more!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Added the Edmunds comparison article putting the SS up against the Mustang GT and the Challenger R/T.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Updated with a few more. The Autoblog "One Night Stand" review is particularly good, IMO.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Another review

Here's another nice, nuanced review:

>>>>>

The San Diego Union-Tribune car review column
Mark Maynard. McClatchy - Tribune Business News. Washington: Apr 11, 2009.
Apr. 11--Good things come to those who wait, and Camaro enthusiasts anticipating the return of the 2010 model won't be disappointed.

Many have groused that the gestation period to create this car was elephantine. The concept car was revealed at the 2006 Detroit auto show and the concept was green-lighted for production not long after because the responses from media and consumers were overwhelming.

But to whip up a steel-bodied production car in the likeness of a stunning fiberglass concept is another challenge, indeed.

The concept was not based on an existing vehicle, so to end up with a new Camaro that looked anything like the concept and could be sold in markets around the world took a lot of engineering, design and luck.

The starting point was a Pontiac G8 (also the Australian Holden Commodore). The wheelbase was significantly adjusted, the rear wheels moved 6 inches forward and front wheels moved forward. A Camaro-specific engine bay was designed.

But now that it is on the way to dealerships, Chevrolet may have wished for even later timing. Launching a big coupe in the flat spot of a recession isn't ideal -- even with 800,000 "handraisers" seeking information, 15.5 million Web site visitors (chevy.com/camaro) and 14,000 customer orders, 55 percent of whom were conquests who deserted other brands.

Chevrolet was in San Diego recently for the media launch of the car for journalists in the western United States. Chevrolet provided all four models of the car: V-6 manual transmission, V-6 automatic, V-8 manual and V-8 automatic, with 426-and 400-horsepower ratings. I drove both V-6s and, briefly, the V-8 manual. I'll get the V-8 automatic at home for a full test of a production-quality car versus the prototypes driven at the launch.

The prototype cars were good, but there were some quirks and peculiarities in handling that raised questions from me and my driving partner, another seasoned auto writer.

The cars turned heads at every stoplight from a variety of ages and from both sexes. It definitely has the "look" that people will pay for.

Pricing ranges from about $23,000 to $34,000, with plenty of option packages and accessories.

I was most impressed with the 3.6-liter V-6 and six-speed automatic with steering-wheel shift tabs. Get the 2LT with uplevel interior package of Inferno Orange (more red than orange) leather-trimmed seats with door inserts and a line of lighting, which creates a sharp-looking interior. As equipped, that car would carry a sticker of $30,000-plus.

Here are some observations from my first drive.

Acceleration is strong, shift points are good. And, wow, 304-horsepower and 29 mpg on the highway! Sixth gear is a loafer for highway cruising on the manual.

The V-6 has a real dual-exhaust system and runs on regular gas.

The manual gearbox could use refinement. It is difficult to heel-toe shift because pedal heights aren't ideal and downshifts from third to second or from fifth to fourth are coarse and not precise. Both of us missed gears a couple of times. And both of us also jammed it into reverse at traffic lights. But do that a few times and your muscle memory refines your arm movement. (On V-8 manuals, reverse is down and right.)

Definitely consider the optional short-throw Hurst shifter that will be available later in the year.

I liked the sound of the 6.2-liter V-8s, but their power feels less dramatic than the pounce of the V-6.

Both V-8s are from the Corvette and both will run on 87 octane, but premium brings higher performance ratings.

The LS3, used with manual-transmission cars, is rated 426 horsepower -- or one more than Dodge Challenger -- with 420 foot pounds of torque. It is EPA-rated for 16 mpg city, 24 highway. Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph is 4.7 seconds. Floor it, dump the clutch and Launch Control software does the work to control wheelspin. From 60 mph, Brembo brakes take just 123 feet to stop a Camaro with 20-inch tires; 132 feet for a V-6 with 18-inch tires.

The 400-hp, L99 V-8 in automatic-equipped cars uses Active Fuel Management to switch seamlessly between four and eight cylinders, which reduces emissions and boosts highway fuel economy to 25 mpg.

The V-8 is a breathy boulevard cruiser, until you jump into it. But even then the manual transmission wasn't as smooth as I expected it to be.

I didn't drive any Camaro version long enough to reach that zen point of understanding it -- and it understanding me. In some performance cars, that threshold happens in a half-day run on state Route 94, which we did on the Camaro drive. But I came away feeling that I should get to know this car before taking liberties, even if it does have standard StabiliTrak traction and stability control.

I'm not sure if the independent-rear suspension is touchy or that these were just well-used preproduction cars and the alignment might have been off. In carving up some twisty side roads I felt the onset of vehicle rotation when cornering. The front end turns in nicely and grips, but it feels as if the back end is trying to catch up. By applying gentle throttle the car settled down and the rear tucked in for the rest of the turn. More time behind the wheel should bring better communication between car and driver.

The long hood is a key element in the Camaro's exterior design and the hood bulge adds drama, but it also adds the perception of width to the driver, who can't quite see the right fender. But, again, more time will bring that comfort of knowing your place in the lane.

Despite the gangster-low roofline, visibility isn't bad over the shoulder; better than in the Nissan 350Z. But when negotiating switchbacks at speed, I was ducking glances around the windshield pillar.

The interior is very well done with no gimmicks or clashing colors or textures. The instrument panel has a quality, soft-touch, grained material. Vents close flush with attractive styling. Controls are easy to read and operate.

The cabin is quiet except for some white noise on concrete stretches of interstate. There was extensive soundproofing in the form of liquid sound deadener, hood seals, hood absorber and engine cover.

The leather is worth the extra cost, but the seat bottoms may be a tad short for tall users. And it is unconscionable that the passenger seat does not have height adjustment, though it does have an electric seatback and manual fore-aft controls. Partners, spouses and children will hate the low ride position. When I was in the side seat I felt like I was 10 again and riding with Dad to get a haircut. The position separates the passenger from the spirit of the car.

Plus, it's nausea-inducing. There's something in the harmonics that even made me queasy on curvy roads -- when I was driving! In a recent test of the new BMW 7-series on the same roads I was in complete comfort as a passenger reading the navigation guide.

Although constricted by a small opening, the trunk has decent space and is expandable by a folding back seat.

After the drive, I overheard a trio of magazine writers spewing venom that this introductory drive was too brief. They were invited to arrive the previous afternoon to drive cars and take pictures and then do more driving and photography the next day, until 3 p.m. when the cars were to be loaded and shipped back to Detroit. But these writers felt they deserved more time to get a cover shot. One remarked in profanity-laced terms, "let's just take a car and come back when we want!"

And because they felt deprived, they also said they were going to rip the car in print.

Before too much credit is given to Internet blogs and print rantings, I recommend driving the new Camaro before passing judgment. For 95 percent of users, it is the right car for the times.

I wanted to love it. But like many first dates, I'll need to get to know it better before I fall in love.

Mark Maynard is driving in cyberspace at mark.maynard@uniontrib.com.Download podcasts of Maynard's Garage weekly Internet radio show at signonradio.com. And click into Maynard's Garage blog site at http://wheels.sdmarketplace.com/ .
>>>>>>
Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the direct link to the above article:
http://wheels.sdmarketplace.com/edit...maro-final.php
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM

'I liked the sound of the 6.2-liter V-8s, but their power feels less dramatic than the pounce of the V-6."

I like the fact that they are finally making v6's with some umph. In the '90s 600 cc motorcycles handled great but never had enough power to make them any real fun. Flash forward to 2009 were 600s are making over 100 hp and few riders can handle them (at least in the twisties). If they could get cars up to that same level hp per cc people will start wondering if they really need a gas thristy v8.

I'd like to see what what the v6 actually dynos at.

Hal

Quick Reply: Listing of 2010 Camaro reviews