2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Lets get real about the weight of the Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
The larger, heavier and more powerful engine in the 2011 Mustang will weigh more and so will its supporting equipment like cooling.
No it won't. The LS3, a larger, LIGHTER, and more powerful engine weighs in about 30 pounds LESS than the current engine found in the GT. The new GT engine is "rumoured" to be even lighter than the LS3 (not by much, but still).

The ~100hp more powerful engine will likely require a larger, heavier, stronger driveshaft. The 6-speed transmission will weigh more than the current 5-speed tranny. One way to look at it: A GT500 weighs 3850 without the Mach 1 stereo, subtract about 100 pounds going from the iron 5.4 to the aluminum 5.0L and maybe another 100 pounds for the supercharger, intercooler, and related components. That would be 3,650 and I could even see Ford getting it down to 3,600 (of course sacrifices will be made) but this 3,500 pound talk is wishful thinking.
Let me put things into perspective.

SVT chassis engineers had their work cut out dealing with the extra 340 pounds heaped onto the front tires.

That's taken from a review of the GT500. Here's the complete article if you'd like to read it yourself. http://www.modernracer.com/history/f...00history.html

You've clearly underestimated just how much weight that blower adds to the front (and I can't say I blame you honestly). 340 pounds, that's just from the iron block and supercharger and related materials. It's insane, it's a garbage design, and it's also why the GT500 is the bastard stepchild of the Mustang Performance world. It's just a bad design...period.

So just to clarify, of the GT500s 440+ pounds over the manual GT, 340+ of that is just from engine and blower. Or in other words right around a whopping 75% of the weight gain is from the engine. So your estimate of the engine costing 200 pounds was off by 140 pounds. Knowing that, do you now think it possible that the next gen stang can keep it under 3600? Especially considering that the newer engine will be lighter than the current GT engine.

Ford will want to maintain traction while keeping up with the appearance trends of its competitors, so look for 18 to 20" wheels with wider tires, again more weight. Then there is vehicle content. If Ford is going to keep up with GM and offer higher content, it is going to add weight.
Those are all buyers options. Someone looking to track a GT probably won't be getting 20s on the car. Regardless, all that jazz is a bit early to tell and is still up in the air.

Now, the GT500 gets extra chassis stiffening at 500hp, will the Mustang GT get the same or similar at 400hp?
I personally don't believe the new GT will be getting any since it's only going to have around 360lbs of torque when the current model has around 320 [it's underrated]. If it does get any stiffing it'll be to just conform with modern safely laws and crash standards, not because of power.

Another thing you have to ask yourself, is Ford really going to take the Mustang from the budget pony car to a more modern muscle car and up it 100hp in one leap!?! And if so, what will that do to the price of the car. If a Mustang GT costs $30k+ when you can get a higher content Camaro SS with IRS and more horsepower for the same price, it will be a very different battle than in the past. Believe it or not, many of the buyers of these cars do not even look at the curb weight or even know what it is!
I don't think a Mustang will have trouble selling against a Camaro. I'm not trying to dock the camaro but seriously, if you take your average car buyer, show'em a mustang and camaro, tell em the price is the same, blah blah blah options (they'll probably tune you out at this point and start playing with their iphones), they'll choose the mustang. Or they'll choose the camaro thinking it's the mustang.

Regardless, it's just WAY too early to talk about pricing, especially considering we still don't know the pricing of the Camaro. We can have this conversation a year from now and we'll be hopefully much better informed at that point.

Damn, that's the longest post I've written in a long long time. I've got that feeling we men get right after we've had some good sex, I just want to roll over and goto sleep.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Just cause all cars are headed this way does NOT mean it's a good thing. Why won't you understand that?
Originally Posted by Freak
You have a very good point.

Thing is, we DO understand that. We ALL KNOW it's not a good thing. Guess what? Knowing something is a bad thing doesn't change it. I know gas prices going up is bad, doesn't change a thing.

The problem is that some people complain that it could have been lighter, people try using logic on them to no avail, then after Scott explains why it's so heavy (safety, features, mandating the use of the zeta platform, keeping it as close looking as possible to the concept, and most importantly and also the one most of the complainers never seem to consider, even after it's pointed out, cost) people scream BS and start spouting off again about how they aren't gonna buy one cause it's too heavy. So don't. We don't care. Really, we don't.

And when those of us who have accepted the weight for what it is don't run around like it's the armageddon, some people act as if their only purpose in life is to show us the one true way.
Basically what he said but it's also along the same lines as when I try to get an explanation as to why weight is an issue if a car is predicted to run better numbers than its competition and even its predecessor. The truth is noone knows how this car is going to truly perform until its released in the near future. And until then noone should truly be able to complain about its weight. Especially those who already aren't going to buy one just because of it's heftiness . These people wouldn't buy an unusually heavy M3 (3700 lbs.), a 4000+ lbs CTS-V, or a 3900+ lbs GT-R if given the money either I guess. The new Camaro has roughly 90% of the performance, comfort, and ride that these cars do for half the price. Not a bad tradeoff if you ask me.

Originally Posted by TCMcQueen
That extra weight comes from the iron block + supercharger + brakes + other crap. The new mustang with 400HP will probably come in around 35-3600 pounds. They don't need to add anything to the chassis, that's already rated for around 600hp.
It may be rated for 600 hp with all of the additions of the GT500 (i.e. larger brakes, sturdier suspension components, CHASSIS BRACING, etc.) The S197 was never designed with 500+ hp in mind. All of the beefier components will add weight to the next Mustang.

Originally Posted by TCMcQueen
Let me put things into perspective.

SVT chassis engineers had their work cut out dealing with the extra 340 pounds heaped onto the front tires.

That's taken from a review of the GT500. Here's the complete article if you'd like to read it yourself. http://www.modernracer.com/history/f...00history.html

You've clearly underestimated just how much weight that blower adds to the front (and I can't say I blame you honestly). 340 pounds, that's just from the iron block and supercharger and related materials. It's insane, it's a garbage design, and it's also why the GT500 is the bastard stepchild of the Mustang Performance world. It's just a bad design...period.

So just to clarify, of the GT500s 440+ pounds over the manual GT, 340+ of that is just from engine and blower. Or in other words right around a whopping 75% of the weight gain is from the engine. So your estimate of the engine costing 200 pounds was off by 140 pounds. Knowing that, do you now think it possible that the next gen stang can keep it under 3600? Especially considering that the newer engine will be lighter than the current GT engine.
I didn't read anywhere in that article saying that 340 extra lbs came from just the block and blower (I did only skim over it though.) The blower and iron block most likely add up to somewhere shy of 200 lbs. Then you can tack on the larger sway bars, bigger brakes, larger wheels, chassis stiffening, larger cooling system, etc. All of this alone with an all aluminum N/A mod motor is still going to put the upcoming Mustang at a minimum of 3600 lbs. And that is being very generous. If they don't offer these components or even the FR3 package along with the 400 hp motor then exactly how good of a car would this truly be? Even if it did come in at 3500 lbs.

Last edited by 95firehawk; 08-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
One of the reasons you list is the critical reason: use of the zeta platform. That was a mistake from which recovery is impossible.
They should have allowed more time with Kappa to make it a multi-car platform.
You're assuming that more time with Kappa would have made it suitable for the Camaro.

What if that's an invalid assumption? No Camaro?

You're also assuming a Kappa Camaro would be a lot lighter. Maybe it would be. But looking at powerful V8 front engine RWD cars out there in the rest of the world, I don't see it.

Folks, what we have here is the equivalent of armchair quarterbacking.

It's one thing to say that you want it to be smaller. That's a perfectly valid opinion.

It's another thing to say with conviction that this change or that change would have saved 400 pounds or been cheaper in the long run, when one has only limited insight into such things.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
You're assuming that more time with Kappa would have made it suitable for the Camaro.

What if that's an invalid assumption? No Camaro?
If assumption that GM is/was perfectly capable of designing a small rwd car platform that is configurable into a 2-seat roadster and into a 2+2 coupe is invalid, then the General is in way more trouble than I thought. If when they'd started developing Kappa it had been MANDATED that it would be so configurable, it would have been. Solstice/Sky would have been a year late, but we might have already gotten a BETTER Camaro by now.

You're also assuming a Kappa Camaro would be a lot lighter. Maybe it would be. But looking at powerful V8 front engine RWD cars out there in the rest of the world, I don't see it.
Of *course* a Kappa Camaro would be lighter. The Mallet V8 Solstice weighs just over 3000 lb. Even allowing for 300 lb. for the stretch to a 2+2, and ignoring any weight reduction potential from going to a coupe vs. convertible, it easily could have been below 4th gen weight.

It's one thing to say that you want it to be smaller. That's a perfectly valid opinion.
And it's also a perfectly valid opinion to "want" the Camaro to be a 2-door version of a big and heavy 4-door luxury sedan. For those that wanted that, congratulations!

It's another thing to say with conviction that this change or that change would have saved 400 pounds or been cheaper in the long run, when one has only limited insight into such things.
I'm not saying "this change or that change" would have saved weight. I'm specifically saying that the decisions to 1) rush Solstice/Sky to market with a non-reconfigurable platform and then 2) to use use a hulking 4100 lb. sedan platform were not good decisions for the Camaro.
I bet my insight and foresight were better than GM's in this case, but we shall see... I don't wish the car to do poorly in the market, indeed I'd like to be able to look forward to a smaller and lighter-weight 6th-gen. But I believe the 5th-gen will do poorly The opportunity was there to do something DIFFERENT from Ford or Chrysler and to be READY for higher gas prices and increasing CAFE. Camaro *could* have been on the GOOD side of these trends. Opportunity lost...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 PM

If assumption that GM is/was perfectly capable of designing a small rwd car platform that is configurable into a 2-seat roadster and into a 2+2 coupe is invalid, then the General is in way more trouble than I thought. If when they'd started developing Kappa it had been MANDATED that it would be so configurable, it would have been. Solstice/Sky would have been a year late, but we might have already gotten a BETTER Camaro by now.
The design of the platform likely would have been vastly different if it needed to be a 2+2. For one, it likely would have needed to be a unibody. A unibody apparently implies vastly more cost. So possibly what you would have gotten if you'd mandated that was no Camaro and no Solstice.

The car business is very complex, but it's very easy to write "If when they'd started developing Kappa it had been MANDATED that it would be so configurable", as if what you're asking for is some simple obvious thing that no one at GM would have thought of.

I'm trying to suggest that you start by assuming that the folks at GM have thought of what you're thinking of (it is pretty obvious), and may have good reasons for not going that way.

Regarding a small RWD unibody platform, that apparently hinged on Caddy wanting something smaller than a CTS. Until fairly recently, they didn't. That looks like a mistake to me, since the C-Class, 3-series, A4, etc., are the bread and butter of the Euro luxury lines.
But since Camaro didn't get to build its own platform....well, you do the math.

So while I would criticize and have criticized GM for thinking that there was not a business justification for a small unibody RWD platform, I don't blame the Camaro team for that. And I don't blame the Solstice team for not using a unibody, 'cause they needed something fast.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM

The design of the platform likely would have been vastly different if it needed to be a 2+2. For one, it likely would have needed to be a unibody. A unibody apparently implies vastly more cost. So possibly what you would have gotten if you'd mandated that was no Camaro and no Solstice.
I'm assuming I'm the #1 decider/mandater. I.e., mandate => MAKE IT SO, PERIOD. Greater tooling cost, but spread over a larger number of models with vastly greater sales potential would, I think, have been worth it.

The car business is very complex, but it's very easy to write "If when they'd started developing Kappa it had been MANDATED that it would be so configurable", as if what you're asking for is some simple obvious thing that no one at GM would have thought of.
I'm sure a LOT of people at GM thought of it. Unfortunately, not the big-decision-makers.

I'm trying to suggest that you start by assuming that the folks at GM have thought of what you're thinking of (it is pretty obvious), and may have good reasons for not going that way.
And I bet the MAIN ones were: Look at how many 300's and Charger's Chrysler is selling! Look at how many Mustangs Ford is selling! Boom, we get Zeta G8 and Zeta Camaro. Unfortunately for GM the market has shifted, and again this *was* foreseeable (I foresaw it anyway!). Very easy to just follow the competition, and often people feel they are being CONSERVATIVE (i.e., safe) in doing so. It was NOT safe or conservative to extrapolate on trends that worked in 2005 for 2010. It was time for GM to be an industry LEADER.

Regarding a small RWD unibody platform, that apparently hinged on Caddy wanting something smaller than a CTS. Until fairly recently, they didn't.
As mandater/decider, I wouldn't wait for Cadillac to tell me what they want, I'm tellin' 'em they're not only getting a 3-series competitor, they're getting a 1-series competitor Kappa Caddy!
That looks like a mistake to me, since the C-Class, 3-series, A4, etc., are the bread and butter of the Euro luxury lines.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately they keep relearning the wrong lessons. First it was with the Cimarron. Any real car-guy that isn't in business or marketing could tell you that rebadging a Cavalier isn't going to work. But of course Cadillac "learned" (wrongly) from this that they just *can't* sell smaller cars. Then they learned it again with the blandly-styled and not-terribly-sporting-compared-to-a-3-series Catera. I think there *should* be a small, sporting, rwd Caddy, and I think they *could* compete if they allow the engineers to do it right.

So while I would criticize and have criticized GM for thinking that there was not a business justification for a small unibody RWD platform, I don't blame the Camaro team for that. And I don't blame the Solstice team for not using a unibody, 'cause they needed something fast.
I don't blame the Solstice and Camaro teams either. I blame poor overall strategy at GM.
Instead of an orphan Solstice/Sky followed by Zeta cars, I would have delayed Kappa and made it the basis for a line of small rwd vehicles. 2-seat roadster Solstice/Sky, 2+2 coupe Camaro (and Firebird or Banshee?), 3- and 5-door Nomad wagons (think Mazda3 w/ rwd), and a 1-/3-series fighting Cadillac.
Small enough and light enough cars that performance is good even with very efficient 4-cylinders, stunning with turbo-4 or six-cylinder power, and absolutely blistering with LS horsepower.

It is easy to dream... Cheap, too!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 PM

i would have loved a smaller camaro. i think the 4th gen is perfect except its size.

the camaro isnt entirely its own market anymore like it was in the begining.

many of the import 2+2 coupes, albeit fwd, are really small compared to the camaro, and i think thats part of the market it needs to be in.

the 5th gen is great for the people who like em big, but im hoping for a smaller 6th gen.

the much shorter overhangs were a huge step in the right direction though.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

It is easy to dream... Cheap, too!
Yeah. I see your other points too.

We shall see. I hope we'll see a small RWD from GM at some point. But it's clearly not top priority at the moment (can you say Volt?).

I still don't expect a small RWD to be a lot lighter than a midsize like Zeta, purely based on what's out there. The difference between a 335i and 535i (Zeta sized) is only about 100 pounds or so (if you look at base weight, adjust for equipment).

Any more weight savings will come from lightweight design.
But I don't think we'll solve that disagreement today.

If it weren't for the fact that every other V8 IRS 400 lb ft four seat car out there is about as heavy or heavier than Camaro, I'd be jumping on the 'cut the fat' bandwagon too.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by notsonic
many of the import 2+2 coupes, albeit fwd, are really small compared to the camaro, and i think thats part of the market it needs to be in.
Cobalt SS anyone? It has gotten great reviews, but I have the feeling it's being ignored by the same crowd that would slobber all over it if it had a "Honda" badge.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM

Cobalt SS anyone? It has gotten great reviews, but I have the feeling it's being ignored by the same crowd that would slobber all over it if it had a "Honda" badge.
the turbo ss is an amazing car. and im surprised that NO ONE talks about the damn thing. its so cheap (as in cost) too.

only thing that keeps me away from it is FWD.

something like the 240sx is exactly what id want a new camaro to be (of course you know, newer and meeting todays standards.) but thats because im coming from the used 3rd/4th gen market. i highly doubt any 1st gen owners feel the same way.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by notsonic
the turbo ss is an amazing car. and im surprised that NO ONE talks about the damn thing. its so cheap (as in cost) too.

only thing that keeps me away from it is FWD.

something like the 240sx is exactly what id want a new camaro to be (of course you know, newer and meeting todays standards.) but thats because im coming from the used 3rd/4th gen market. i highly doubt any 1st gen owners feel the same way.
Probably not. Toyota and maybe Subaru will be the first to introduce a small, cheap, RWD coupe. Rumor has it the car will have a 200hp or so flat 4. Supposedly no turbo, but it seems so obvious to have one that we'll just have to wait and see.

What do you think of the new Hyundai coupe? I think it'll be in the 35-3600 pound range with the V6.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Is the new Mustang finally going to get an IRS or will we be stuck with the wobbling and bumpy ride of the live axle? IRS will add some weight for sure.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Is the new Mustang finally going to get an IRS or will we be stuck with the wobbling and bumpy ride of the live axle? IRS will add some weight for sure.
SLA live axle, IIRC.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM

!

I'm not saying "this change or that change" would have saved weight. I'm specifically saying that the decisions to 1) rush Solstice/Sky to market with a non-reconfigurable platform and then 2) to use use a hulking 4100 lb. sedan platform were not good decisions for the Camaro.
I bet my insight and foresight were better than GM's in this case, but we shall see... I don't wish the car to do poorly in the market, indeed I'd like to be able to look forward to a smaller and lighter-weight 6th-gen. But I believe the 5th-gen will do poorly The opportunity was there to do something DIFFERENT from Ford or Chrysler and to be READY for higher gas prices and increasing CAFE. Camaro *could* have been on the GOOD side of these trends. Opportunity lost...
Man alive Dan, I agree with every word!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up

My next car will be a Solstice Coupe GXP - IMO it is closer to what I had hoped the next gen Camaro (Firebird!) would be than what we have been given.

Quick Reply: Lets get real about the weight of the Camaro