2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Just swap the LS7 badges for Z28's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Just swap the LS7 badges for Z28's?

Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
West South Central Moderator

I didn't think the Z/28 was supposed to be a "drag racer" ???
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

I have nothing to base this on, but I think the red LS7 car will be the Z/28. Just a feeling I have.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM

I'd rather have the hotcam version of the LS3 in my Z28.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM

The LS7 is WAY too expensive to use in a production Camaro. This has been explained several times.

This car is just to show that the LS7 can bolt in to the Camaro easily.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
+eleventy billion. Throw in some larger brakes, a more track-oriented suspension, wider tires, and some subtle body mods, and call it a day.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg95z28

Originally Posted by skorpion317
+eleventy billion. Throw in some larger brakes, a more track-oriented suspension, wider tires, and some subtle body mods, and call it a day.
I could live with that!!
Clyde
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM

The engine may not be the final choice, but I think, for the most part, that the LS7 car is a close representation of what a Z/28 may be.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
The engine may not be the final choice, but I think, for the most part, that the LS7 car is a close representation of what a Z/28 may be.

Gotta disagree!

THIS IS WHAT A Z28 should be!

Camaro GS Racecar Concept
One of the most iconic cars of the legendary Trans Am road racing series was the distinctive blue-and-yellow Camaro of Mark Donohue. He was a dominant racer in the series and drove his #6 1969 model to the series championship that year.

With the assistance of GM's High Performance Vehicle Operations, North Carolina-based Riley Technologies re-created the look and feel of that standout racecar with a tribute that looks, sounds and drives like it's ready to do battle with its contemporary pony car competitors. In fact, the heritage-inspired racer is more than concept. It is an early prototype for the Grand Am Koni Challenge GS racing class. Racecars like the GS Concept are offered and manufactured by Riley Technologies for the 2009 Grand-Am season.

The GS Concept features the race-ready suspension, reinforced chassis and drivetrain conform to the specifications required of racecars certified for the series. In fact, this racecar has already logged many hours on the racetrack as Riley team members worked to dial-in the chassis and powertrain.

Additional features include:
* Seam-welded production Camaro body-in-white
* Carbon fiber hood, trunk lid, doors and fenders
* Production LS3 V-8 engine (used with solid engine mounts)
* Tremec 6060 six-speed manual transmission with close-ratio gearing
* Three-inch exhaust system with Coast Fab mufflers
* C&R racing aluminum radiator
* Upgraded engine oil cooler
* Transmission and differential coolers

The GS Racecar Concept is shown at SEMA just as it was last driven off the track, with the grime, brake dust and body imperfections commensurate with a day's worth of racing. Indeed, it isn't a car that spent hundreds of hours in a body shop in a quest of sheet metal perfection. It displays the bruises of competition and wears them as badges of honor.

Like Donohue's '69 Camaro racecar, the GS Racecar Concept wears a deep blue paint scheme that is accented with yellow graphics, a yellow-painted interior and yellow racing wheels.

THIS IS WHAT A ZL1 SHOULD BE!!!! A Z28 is not a Drag Car. Not only that, but they named it appropriately. As some have complained that a ZL1 is a 1969 aluminum Big Block this is the LS7 named an LS7 NOT a Z28 Those complaints are probably why the emblems read LS7 not ZL1 unfourtunately...

Camaro LS7 Concept
Camaro LS7 Concept: Designed to highlight the capability of the new Camaro as a weekend bracket warrior, the Camaro LS7 Concept combines the power of a GM Performance Parts’ LS7 crate engine and targeted bolt-on upgrades to deliver the wheels-up spirit of the legendary COPO Camaros.

Made famous by Chevy dealers like Don Yenko and Fred Gibb in the late 1960s, the COPO cars were ordered for one thing: drag racing. They were quickly outfitted after delivery with the requisite tires, safety equipment and other accessories necessary for competition in popular Stock-class drag racing series.

The LS7 Concept honors the COPO ethos with features such as drag strip-ready rubber on the rear wheels – and unlike many of the stripped-down racers from 40 years ago, this strip-ready competitor serves double duty as both a racecar and a daily driver.

The LS7 crate engine (part number 17802397) uses a high-performance replacement camshaft from GM Performance Parts (part number 12480033) to help it produce approximately 550 horsepower. Complementing upgrades include GM Performance Parts-developed headers and air intake system that will be offered at the Camaro’s launch in early 2009. The LS7 also is modified with a wet-sump oiling system; the production engine features a dry-sump system that requires an external oil tank.

Backing the LS7 engine is a production Tremec 6060 six-speed manual with a GM Performance Parts Hurst shifter. Additional drivetrain details include:

Brembo four-wheel disc brake package
Lowered ride height
Custom 20-inch wheels
Driveshaft safety loop
GM Performance Parts exhaust system

The Camaro LS7 concept is painted Victory Red, with matte black accents on the hood and taillamp panel. “LS7” logos are strategically placed and warn those in the know this Camaro means business when the Christmas tree lights count down to green. It’s all business on the spartan interior, too, with base trim and few accessories to minimize overall mass for a quicker elapsed time.

Although the Camaro LS7 Concept is just that – a concept – its duplication by enterprising enthusiasts and racers is enabled by GM Performance Parts’ LS7 crate engine package. It delivers a fully assembled, production version of the engine, complete from the intake manifold to oil pan. An oil reservoir for the standard dry sump system and GM Performance Parts’ LS7 engine controller (part number 19166567) are all that’s necessary to get the engine running in an enthusiast’s project vehicle – well, that and a chassis capable of handling more than 500 lb.-ft. of torque!

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 11-05-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM

i would buy that thing in a heart beat. i dont care what it was called i just want the engine in my camaro. it could be called a SS/RS/Z28 for all i care.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i would buy that thing in a heart beat. i dont care what it was called i just want the engine in my camaro. it could be called a SS/RS/Z28 for all i care.
yeah, and those Rims on that LS7 car are awesome also. Very nice car! I think this homage does the ZL1's Justice. One thing though on the Mark Donahue Z28 car is I wish it also either had a LS7 or a trick maybe LS3 hot cam or something. Otherwise both beautiful cars! I got butterflies when I saw the Mark Donahue car. I didnt think GM would actually do a true Z28. Blade spoiler in that awesome blue to boot
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 AM

The GS concept, the car that will race in the Koni Challenge, should be the basis for the Z28.
Cammed LS3, lighter chassis, bigger brakes, better suspension, Z28.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
The GS concept, the car that will race in the Koni Challenge, should be the basis for the Z28.
yeah i agree. if they do end up making a z28 just do a little internal work(cam/maybe heads) and lighten up the body. do a fiberglass hood and trunk. stiffer suspension,lowered, and no power inside ( except maybe windows). i think i would even make the radio optional. just make it bare bones and about 3-400lbs lighter than the lightest camaro(maybe 3500lbs)
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
At least a more "streetable" version of the GS concept, but I agready wholeheartedly.

As GMPP already has a crate engine of the hot cam version of the LS3 (LS376/480), to get there would take very little investment on GMs part. But perhaps they are waiting for the aftermarket to do this for them, so they don't have to pay for the development costs on bigger sway bars, brakes, shocks, etc.

How expensive can it be to develop Z/28 badges for the 5th gen?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM

does gmpp have an aggressive cam for the camaro, or will they offer one, that we can have put in at the dealership and still be covered under the factory warranty? if so what kind of power numbers would we be looking at? and does anyone know the price in comparance to another aftermarket company?

Quick Reply: Just swap the LS7 badges for Z28's?