2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how many types of GM discounts are there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Just how many types of GM discounts are there?

There's one for employees.
There's one for suppliers.
There's apparently one for "friends and family".

Does the dealer actually lose out when these are used or does GM take the hit?

Is the dealer REQUIRED to honor them?

If the Camaro 2SS stickers at 34,180 and invoice is 31,488, just where do the discounts fall? Any of them below invoice? If GM employee pricing is 31,180 for example, is the dealer "giving up" potentially 3k by selling the car. Does he even have to sell it? I'm just curious how it all works.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by trm0002
There's one for employees.
There's one for suppliers.
There's apparently one for "friends and family".

Does the dealer actually lose out when these are used or does GM take the hit?

Is the dealer REQUIRED to honor them?

If the Camaro 2SS stickers at 34,180 and invoice is 31,488, just where do the discounts fall? Any of them below invoice? If GM employee pricing is 31,180 for example, is the dealer "giving up" potentially 3k by selling the car. Does he even have to sell it? I'm just curious how it all works.
Friends and Family gets the same discount as the supplier.

The dealer gets a fixed percentage of the List price of the car -- so it does impact them.

Dealers are not required to honor the discounts.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

The dealer gets a fixed percentage of the List price of the car -- so it does impact them.

Thanks for the response.

So theoretically, the dealers could all band together and screw the GM employees out of their contractual discounts? Wow.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM

true it is up to the individual dealer if they will honor any special price on any car employee or not. That is in place because if they made us honor employee price no matter what who do you think would buy all the ZR1's and then sell them.

there is GM Employee

GM Supplier the new military discount is the same as Supplier

Friends and Family is only available when they have that program going on they have not had friends and family for quite some time now.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the response.

So theoretically, the dealers could all band together and screw the GM employees out of their contractual discounts? Wow.
They could if they wanted to stop selling cars. GM employees buy a LOT of cars

I'm more curious to know when the Employee price will be available to eligible buyers (me)
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
They could if they wanted to stop selling cars. GM employees buy a LOT of cars

I'm more curious to know when the Employee price will be available to eligible buyers (me)
Did you ask your dealership if they will honor it (or do you work at one)? It seems to me from the pricing responses here, and elsewhere, that the V6 is going to be the biggest seller BY FAR so I don't know that the dealerships will see the need to accept discounts on that model. The V8 however, appears to have burst a lot of people's bubbles.

I still don't understand how people could expect a 28k 1SS and a 30k 2SS; it just wasn't "real". I said it before, when it was announced that the Camaro would be "priced to compete with the Mustang and the Challenger" everyone ignored the Challenger part of the equation. They went to ford.com (forgive me Father for I have sinned), built their Mustang, added 1000 bucks or so, and said, "ok, this is where the Camaro will be". No one went to Dodge.com, built the Challenger, subtracted some $, and said that's where the Camaro will be. People are still failing to realize that this car is EVERY BIT the car the Challenger is for 6k + less. All they look at is that it's 3-4k more than the Mustang (worth every penny in my eyes). What a shame.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Did you ask your dealership if they will honor it (or do you work at one)? .

I don't work for GM, but I married well(a daughter of a GM employee). Generally a dealer will honor it when they can't sell every one they've got at MSRP. When they start sitting, the GMS starts getting honored.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM

It wouldn't be surprising for a dealer not to give employee pricing when the Camaro first comes out. Give it a few months, though, and they will. They just don't want to give up the car they could sell for full retail until they know that it will be replaced in a reasonable amount of time. If you have a good relationship with a dealer, though, you could probably stil get it.

Here in the Detroit area, the Chevy dealer I go through said that 19 out of 20 cars he sells are to employees. So they can survive just fine on it, it just depends how greedy they are.

-Geoff
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Is this confirmation that GM will offer these discounts (if dealers are willing to accept them)?

On my supplier page, the Camaro is listed, although it's the Concept Camaro, which has been there for as long as I can remember.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Croathlete
Is this confirmation that GM will offer these discounts (if dealers are willing to accept them)?

On my supplier page, the Camaro is listed, although it's the Concept Camaro, which has been there for as long as I can remember.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...10&postcount=1
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM

I see employee pricing, but no supplier pricing. Can I make the assumption that if there is employee pricing, there will be supplier pricing? Has anyone heard of one being offered and not the other?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Croathlete
I see employee pricing, but no supplier pricing. Can I make the assumption that if there is employee pricing, there will be supplier pricing? Has anyone heard of one being offered and not the other?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Supplier pricing is usually within a couple hundred of Invoice pricing. At least that is what I have seen in the past.

-Geoff
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM

How about the graduation discount. I think you have to be a college Senior or graduat. I know a dealer who honors that discount. Whats all that about ?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM

I think GM offers a military discount as well (for applicable personnel only)
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM

GM Military Discount is the same as Supplier Pricing, I got it when I bought my G8.

Quick Reply: Just how many types of GM discounts are there?