2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Introducing "Helios"

Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Re: Introducing "Helios"

Congratulations! Nice car... Please install "Orange stripes", in case my dealer, gets it from the auction next year... CTF car whats the serial number? Thanks Carl CFT#39-C5
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM

I think black stripes or orange or gray it would look good with any of those
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Scott,

Congrats on "Helios" - and awesome choice on the name!! Anything that comes from mythology has to be awesome! I'm curious about the snow tires - I've never had any, and was considering using snow tires when I get a Camaro (waiting for a Z28 - or whatever it's called). So how do they do in REAL snow? I've never really liked front wheel drive dynamics in the snow - and I miss my Trans Am........do snow tires on a Camaro SS drive better in snow than a fwd car? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard that, but I'm interested in your first hand experience.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM

^^^Great question.

...go silver stripes.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

We included this in our list of topics in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast #282. It was our headline topic! Have a free download and listen!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Scott,

Congrats on "Helios" - and awesome choice on the name!! Anything that comes from mythology has to be awesome! I'm curious about the snow tires - I've never had any, and was considering using snow tires when I get a Camaro (waiting for a Z28 - or whatever it's called). So how do they do in REAL snow? I've never really liked front wheel drive dynamics in the snow - and I miss my Trans Am........do snow tires on a Camaro SS drive better in snow than a fwd car? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard that, but I'm interested in your first hand experience.

We put Pirelli Ice and Snow (Scorpions) on the CTF fleet - had them on "Thor" two winters ago - and now have them on Helios - I also put them on Mom Settlemire's Camaro......... With them all around, the car handles quite well in the snow. I woke up to snowy-icy roads in Detroit this morning - and Helios did a great job - I noted that there were several RWD cars and trucks spinning -but easing on the accelerator was all it took to start out.....

Would STRONGLY recommend these tires to anyone who drives their Camaro in areas where the temp drops below 40 in the winter with regularity.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Scott,

Congrats on Helios, he looks awesome! Can't wait to see him with stripes! Which for those I vote for black stripes and a black bowtie for the grille.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Here's some pics of Helios getting his in-depth inspection at our facility on Mound Road - the 'light box' shows any surface or paint imperfection -

Pleased to say he's in great shape - a few details have been sent over to the Engineering and quality teams for an in-depth study -

.......we do this to make constant improvements in our products..........
Attached Thumbnails Introducing "Helios"-heliosunderlights1.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

and another.........
Attached Thumbnails Introducing "Helios"-heliosunderlights2.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

AND...........a picture of his greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat great grandfather......

Actually, this is a picture of "Announcement Day" for the 1959 Chevrolets - -taken in the fall of 1958 - in the old showroom of Tom Henry Chevrolet in Bakerstown (the old building down in the village - )

I remember this car like it was yesterday - white with a red interior.......note the 'decorations' (maple and oak leaves...) and the ceiling signs..........

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Now that we can see the color-matched antenna on the back...it looks much better.

But I still wish it could be removed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
AND...........a picture of his greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat great grandfather......

Actually, this is a picture of "Announcement Day" for the 1959 Chevrolets - -taken in the fall of 1958 - in the old showroom of Tom Henry Chevrolet in Bakerstown (the old building down in the village - )

I remember this car like it was yesterday - white with a red interior.......note the 'decorations' (maple and oak leaves...) and the ceiling signs..........

NICE!

However, you clearly were not involved with the car's placement. It's not facing the flow of traffic, unless the photo is from the front door of the showroom. In that case... pretty good angle. I'm guessing that the "forest treatment" is disguising a roof supporting pole?

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-04-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
We put Pirelli Ice and Snow (Scorpions) on the CTF fleet - had them on "Thor" two winters ago - and now have them on Helios - I also put them on Mom Settlemire's Camaro......... With them all around, the car handles quite well in the snow. I woke up to snowy-icy roads in Detroit this morning - and Helios did a great job - I noted that there were several RWD cars and trucks spinning -but easing on the accelerator was all it took to start out.....

Would STRONGLY recommend these tires to anyone who drives their Camaro in areas where the temp drops below 40 in the winter with regularity.
I thought I would comment again on mine. 245/45/R20 and 275/40/R20 on the stock rims.

After having 12.2 inches of Snow in Lansing, and trying to drive the car on an unplowed road, I got stuck. But it wasn't enough that the car couldn't get moving again.

Later in the day I tried it again, and once you got the Camaro moving it would stay moving and would plow right on through the snow. I noticed that if I turned off traction control when I got stuck, I could spin the tires a bit more and they would burn right on through to the pavement and get traction.

Not that I wanted to do that again, I am just comforted to know I could. Also reverse seems to have better traction when you are stuck.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Now that we can see the color-matched antenna on the back...it looks much better.

But I still wish it could be removed.
Amen brother.

"TEAM HATEtheFIN"

in other news, why not just put up a poll for us to vote?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM

man i love the white on these cars. looks so good just plane white. dont see many but god, if could have held out a bit longer....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introducing "Helios"