2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Interesting (slightly scary) call from my dealer today

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Interesting (slightly scary) call from my dealer today

So, the 2011 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro was ordered a few weeks ago, and they were putting off putting it into the workbench. Today they called me and explained why.

They're closing the dealership I ordered from. <insert your favorite expletive>

Here's what they explained to me today. The GM dealership I went to ordered the car through another dealership (other side of Vancouver) that has allocation etc. They claim the order is in the system. I need to get my hands on the workbench number to confirm this.

Once the dealership closes (Oct 15th), they're moving employees etc to a new Honda dealership in Vancouver. When the car comes in to the 'still open' GM dealership, they're going to deliver it to the Honda dealership, and I pay for it, pick it up, sign off etc there.

<sigh> Think I should be worried about this?

Last edited by Jason Dove; 09-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 AM

Yes....
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm not too worried that I won't get the car, or won't get it at the price agreed on.

I'm more worried about does this mean I'm the second owner? How are they going to move it from this one dealership to the Honda one (get some kid to drive it?) etc... (A sales manager is supposed to call me back this morning so I can clarify some stuff.)

This just pisses me off about GM and how they handle closing dealerships. They shouldn't allow the sales folks/managers to pull off crap like this, and GM should publish the list of closing dealers. I assumed that by now all the dealership closings were done with and I shouldn't have any concerns, but obviously that was wrong.

What do you think I should do? It might just work out, but I'm numb at this point.

At a minimum, I'm going to demand an in-writing explanation along with a return of most of my deposit (I'm going to ask for everything but $1). Just in case this doesn't go to plan, so I don't get hosed out of my deposit.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Well cleared up a few things:
- I will now be picking up the car at the Chevy Dealership, they will be performing the new vehicle inspection (whatever it's called) etc
- I'm getting something in writing on Monday that describes the whole thing and explains the transfer of the deposit etc. (Just in case there's some issues later)
- It's being done as a 'dealership transfer' which doesn't impact vehicle ownership. So I'll still be the 'first' owner on the books.

Apparently I'm not the only one that's having this happen. I wonder how the others are dealing with it.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 PM

My purchase was a dealer transfer. Other than it taking longer than it should have, there wasn't much problem. My dealer gave me a loaner for about 3 days while my car was in process/transit.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

I wouldn't worry as long as you have paperwork that is clear and accurate. This sort of thing happens often...no different than a standard dealership trade.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Re: Interesting (slightly scary) call from my dealer today

Car showed up today, at the GM dealership. My salesman called too late for me to get there before closing. He said they called and left him a message after they did the 'dealer stuff' (he called it PDMI I believe). He isn't sure if they installed the front plate mount or not... I asked them not to when I ordered the car.

What do you think I should do if they did put the mount on? Request a new bumper cover? I won't know until tomorrow, basically until the salesman calls me saying he's there and ready to do the paperwork.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM

The only think you can do is ask for the to repair or replace the bumper. Which to repair is over $600 and replace a lot more. If they repair the bumper make sure it is done right and not just filled and airbrushed. I have seen some used ones come onto our lot this way.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM

They did do the plate. Not 'happy' about it, but... I'd rather not have a crappy repair job done on a new car. Especially happy since I have a new Camaro in the parking lot.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

I know a lot of people actually use SmoothLocks to cover up those holes. Great for both a temporary or permanent fix.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM

You can actually (if you know a good body shop) get them to paint match a tree to cover the holes. We do them here all the time since Michigan is the only state around here that does not require front plates. If painted correctly they almost look like they belong on the vehicle. just four little painted to match circles on the bumper.

John Trotto
Buff Whelan Chevrolet
586-274-0310