2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Indy Thank You -- and more....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

An Indy Thank You -- and more....

For "Keeping the Faith".......

I’d like to start with an apology.

So many of you took the time to travel to Indy this past weekend to celebrate the rebirth of an Automotive Icon……. Many more of you would have loved to be there, but we all realize how ‘life happens’ and that you have responsibilities that you take seriously. And while we missed you, we more than understand.

For those of you who were at Indy...my wish -- and the wish of many others -- is to ensure that your trip was worthy of your time -- and that it will always be one of those ‘memories’ that you’ll never quite forget……..

Unfortunately I’m a perfectionist in some respects…….and I have this need to make sure things are as they should be. I sometimes forget that ‘perfection’ is a great ideal…but rarely does it occur. Nevertheless, it necessarily means that I end up running around -- -- running around a lot.........

If I was abrupt with you this weekend - or if I did not get the chance to personally thank you for being there -- or I didn’t get a chance to spend time with you -- or if I “blew by you” as I was on a mission -- I sincerely apologize. YOU are the reason the Camaro is returning -- and I hope you’ll forgive my ‘ways.’

Now -- on to the weekend…………..

I said a prayer a few years back……“Mom Settlemire” is great for saying “Let Go and Let God…..” -- and so I asked of Him: “ I’m turning this over to You……there are a lot of people who feel strongly about this car -- and the company can’t afford to lose these people - so I’ll ‘get out of your way’ now -- will you see to it that it returns?”

……..and within a few weeks, the concept was born in the design studios of General Motors. I will tell you right now that I had little involvement with the concept save for some meetings with the VLE team and of course the unveiling……..what you now see is the talents of a team that has a real passion for the Camaro. Cheryl and John and Al have been so kind to allow me to be a part of the new Camaro team -- and I hope that my contributions will have made this car the best that it can be.

What I CAN take credit for is not accepting “no.” I would not let the Camaro name die within the Chevy family - and I would not allow it to die in the Camaro Enthusiast community -- but then, neither would any of you! If it meant spending late hours on the internet -- or upsetting Senior Management when I would constantly ‘harp’ on the Camaro………so be it…..
……………………..Some things are worth a great fight………….

So -- this weekend at Indy was the culmination of many sleepless nights…for a lot of people….of much worry and toil……and frankly, it was -- to use an old adage “ a labor of love. “ I’ve been waiting for this weekend for much longer than you probably realize -- since late 1996 to be exact when I was told that the 4th gen would be no more after 1998. I vowed then and there that I’d do whatever I could to see that there would be a 5th gen. However, you need to know that I’m not at the top of the ladder in the company -- so the decisions would be made much higher up than I…….

I so look forward to seeing my fellow Camaro and Firebird enthusiasts at events…….but what would make this weekend so much …………more………….would be to see the looks on your faces as you collectively got to feast your eyes on a couple of the ‘ production intent ‘ Camaros.

I must say I was not disappointed in the least.

I laugh now when I remember that I was showing many of you the ‘underhood’ of the Silver SS --- and I suddenly pointed out the Chevy Bowtie that is embossed in the hood liner. About 25 people dropped down with their cameras at once to capture what it looks like …….maybe you had to be there…….

I watched as many of you returned time and time again to the Camaros - to just ‘take them in……’ -- and I now wish I were the one who’d brought a camera -- to catch the expressions of love on so many faces.

Does everyone love the new car?

No …..but the resounding majority certainly do!

And of course, it was a thrill beyond words to walk thru “Gasoline Alley” and look at the hundreds of Camaros and Firebirds -- and Corvettes as well……and see the pride that each of you put into your cars………I never tire of that……..

It was a real challenge to find my ‘favorite’ Camaro and Firebird -- but a White SS convertible with Gold stripes beckoned to me………and then there was the Bright Blue Metallic WS6 that was just -- stunning……..

I know I didn’t get to sign a few cars that people asked me to -- invariably I find myself running to put out a small fire here -- or to help with a problem there -- but I hope I’ll be able to do that for you soon……….I’m humbled that someone would want me -- a guy from Mars, Pa -- to sign their car…..and in my wildest dreams I would have never guessed that I’d be the guy whose signatures some people want………..

I can never say “Thank You” enough………

Thank You…..

…..for keeping the dream alive.

…..for keeping the faith……

…..for your continued support of the Camaro/Firebird community …..

…..for traveling to the many shows all over North America….

…..for your kind words when I had doubts…..

…..for your patience with me as I ran past you at any number of events……(usually with a very intense look on my face…..)

…..for your love of all things Camaro/Firebird……..

…..for your generosity at the many auctions we’ve held for Charity -- in our latest endeavor, we were able to raise over $10,000 for Riley Children’s Hospital this past weekend………

…..and then there was a book that I was given during the auction……and this makes my eyes leak as I type this……..

So many of you wrote such nice things in this book that Kevin (RagSS) Tom (The ‘lil weasel) and Brian (Hawkeye) put together -- it’s a journal and many people took the time to write such nice things about me. (…….see?! I have most of you fooled!…….)

What a great weekend.

What a great way to wrap up 6 long years of waiting for our Camaro to return.

I would be seriously negligent if I did not take the opportunity to thank the men and women of the Central Indiana Camaro Club -- for their hard work and months of planning to bring this weekend to you ……..those of you who put on shows know that this is a very hard task……..and I think they did a spectacular job!

In closing…….( see -- I remain long-winded….)

Thank you, again -- all of you -- for ‘Keeping the Faith’ -- for keeping the community alive and well --

……..and most importantly --

……….for your friendship.

Your Camaro Comrade and Firebird Friend……..

Scott

(aka Fbodfather)
(aka RedPlanet)
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 PM

So when's the book coming out?

Wish I could have been there, but they've got my business either way, so I didn't have to be sold.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 AM

I didn't go because it wasn't clear what would be there. I would have been disappointed when I found out I couldn't sit in the silver SS. Speaking of the silver SS, was there a body in the trunk? I didn't see any open trunk pics of the silver SS.

I will DEFINITELY be going to the Chicago Auto Show in February. It sounds like a lot of people are having trouble deciding on a color so it would be great if you guys had a Camaro on display in every color available. After all you've been thru developing this car the auto show is no time to be cheap. I consider it the main event for checking out new cars without salespeople breathing down my neck.

(subliminal message....imperial blue metallic SS...black interior...carbon trim kit...halogen lights...auto trans...sexy show girls)
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

alot of excitement this weekend. maybe the highlight was the RESOUNDING standing ovation Scott got at the banquet dinner. As I stood there taking it in, I said to myself what better way to end the "hiatus" than that!

great times, great friends. cant put it much simpler than that!

Last edited by ChrisL; 09-22-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Cool

Originally Posted by ChrisL
great times, great friends. cant put is much simpler than that!
Amen brother. Great event! The Camaro is BACK
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM

I wish I could have been there to thank you and the Camaro team in person, but unfortunately life is busy, and as you said, there are priorities..... Luckily we have this, and other great forums to keep us up to date.

So a BIG THANK YOU to YOU Scott, and the whole team for resurecting our Camaro !!!!, and Scott, if it had not been YOU telling us to " keep the faith", I think I would have gone to the dark side .
Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Scott, I didn't get a chance to write in that book. I didn't know about it until Hawkeye brought it up and then the line got REALLY long to sign it and my dad was anxious to leave. Had I gotten to write in it, this is what I would have wrote(if you could read it, my writing is probably worse than yours!):

In 2002 GM turned off the light at the end of the F body tunnel. I knew I wanted a new Camaro so I cut back on some other expenses so I could get one of the last few. It was too late to order one, so I had to take what I could find. I found a 2002 SS in Onyx black, T tops, 6 speed and SLP options including the 345HP package and chrome ZR1's. I never knew the ride this car would take me on both physically and emotionally. I left the dealers lot in a cloud of tire smoke, egged on by my sales guy. That was the start of a great journey of going places and meeting many new people, one of which is this crazy guy that works at GM. Some Scott guy, whoever he is. I never knew you'd become such a strong influence on my growing passion for F bodies. It amazes me your never ending lack of inspiring words and ability to draw a crowd wherever you are. You never seem to tire of the hectic schedule or the never ending questions of "when will the Camaro come back" Your drive and passion is truly inspring and has only made my passion for this car grow even more. I believe you are the ballast that fired that halo ringed HID light of the new Camaro. You brought light back to the end of the tunnel for the Camaro and Firebird enthusiasts who were lost without a new car to look forward to. You continue to be an ambassador not only for F body fans, but all of GM. I doubt there's anyone in the automotive manufacturing world that has more passion about your job and it's products than you. While you may not have had anything to do with the new car's design or engineering, you have been the megaphone screaming to the world "HAVE FAITH!!!" You kept our hopes and dreams alive. I can't wait for that first drive in the new Camaro SS convertible, top down, sun shining, wind blowing through my hair.

Thanks Scott!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I will tell you right now that I had little involvement with the concept save for some meetings with the VLE team and of course the unveiling
You may not want to take credit for it but you had EVERYTHING to do with the concept. You were one of the few who stood steadfast and kept our hopes alive when we thought it was over. You helped the Camaro Enthusiast community "Keep the Faith" and in turn this helped GM make the decision to make a fifth gen. In my opinion, without you, there would not be a fifth gen.

Scott, even if you don’t think you did that much, it was much more than many others would have done and for that you will always have my thanks and respect.

Thank You
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Thanks Scott!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Fbodfather

Scott.........I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you in person, even thou I feel I know you.

You ( and the great team @ Chevrolet) are the reason many of us have "kept the faith".

I can not wait to see the Production car and then decide what color my SS will be.

A BIG thanks for the accessories, glad GM is seeing the need and although some are not for me, I'm sure others will have other opinions.

I would be honored to call you "friend" you certainly are a friend to the Camaro/Firebird community.

THANK YOU!

Gary

Gary

Last edited by GM98Z; 09-23-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

I was glad to finally meet you and personally thank you for keeping this thing alive. Like I said, I'll take a Red RS please.

and I want a new smiley on here, can we get a "I've seen it in person"? Jason? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Scott-
Good words my friend!
I look forward to meeting you for drinks again when you are down for the Houston Auto Show in a few months.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Wish I could have been there. Big thanks to GM and Scott for bringing and helping to bring back our beloved Camaro. Great job from what I've seen via pics so far.

Now how about a get together for us on the left coast....
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM

im glad i could make the trip. it was worth it for me. i knew since day 1 in winter of 05 when i saw t he concept spy shots, that i wanted this car and i was goign to stay commited the whole way through. these last 3 years seem like they have flown by so quick.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 PM

Stirring words Scott. I wish I could have been there! Your signature has finally faded from my engine bay (February 2003) so I could use a touch up!

Quick Reply: An Indy Thank You -- and more....