2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I honestly think the V6 camaro is a better buy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 PM

i dont think that missing out on "Brembo's" for the v6 will hurt it's sales one bit. it's stopping distance of 132 ft. MIGHT hurt it a little, but it doesn't necessarily need "Brembo's" to shorten that distance.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Direct Injection is a totally different game. Consider that you need nothing more than regular octane fuel to realize the full 300hp. DI makes this possible. Forced Induction, a tune, and some premium fuel is not out of the question.

I'll probably be getting a LT/RS (still deciding on tranny). It'd be nice to have an SS; and I'd get it if things work out -- but given that I don't race, and I don't compare displacements to find out who's 'better' -- I have no use for it. I was completely happy with my choice; in fact, I was downright excited when I saw what the RS looked like! But my spirits were lifted even more when I read this: LINK

Preliminary testing shows that a simple intake and exhaust yields a 31hp gain on the DI 3.6! It should be mentioned that this modification will give the V6 Camaro a BETTER Power/Wieght ratio than the Mustang GT!! This is quite the potent powerplant!
Dont forget the horrible gearing the v6 has. that thing is going to need a MINIMUM 4.30 gears. Even 4.56's would seem OK but still not "great."

Also, powerband plays a big role. A new GT has a VERY flat HP curve up top from 5200-6500, which is pretty fat.

Last edited by TrickStang37; 07-28-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 AM

stock for stock, here's the dyno sheets combined:
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
That's why direct injection systems need much higher fuel pressures. This particular issue has already been solved.
I understand that DI fuel systems operate at higher fuel pressures. They have to precisely because of the issue I mentioned. That being said, the issue has been solved for the stock system that puts air into the cylinder at ambient pressure ~14psi. You start boosting and putting air into the cylinder at 20 or 28psi, the final pressure @ full compression is going to go up as well. Its elementary gas behavior.

The delta (guage pressure, psig) between the internal fuel system pressure and the external pressure is going to have quite an impact on how well the injector operates. Whether its a 30psi fuel system injecting into conditions increased from 14psi to 20psi or its a 300 psi fuel system injecting into conditions increasing from 200psi to 250psi, the effectiveness of the injectors is probably going to go down.

You eventually get to the point that absent a check valve of some sort, you would start to get gas flow back into the injector with fuel flowing out as the pressure attempts to equalize. Probably pretty similar to a flooding situation. Best case if there is a check valve you just end up with very little fuel flowing out because of the extremely low pressure differential which could result in an excessively lean mixture.

I'm no expert in these things but thats just my educated opinion as an engineer, albeit one who's focused on aircraft.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 AM

I'm wondering about the prospect of owning the V6 version... the more I think about it, the more it makes sense on our roads (blame the strict speed enforcement measures over here - fixed speed cameras - for anyone caught traveling 1mph over the posted limit!) but I just wonder whether I'd tire of the lesser brakes and less poke from the engine sooner than I would the SS?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I'm wondering about the prospect of owning the V6 version... the more I think about it, the more it makes sense on our roads (blame the strict speed enforcement measures over here - fixed speed cameras - for anyone caught traveling 1mph over the posted limit!) but I just wonder whether I'd tire of the lesser brakes and less poke from the engine sooner than I would the SS?
Yea, I noticed that the state of Victoria is pretty draconian regarding speed enforcement. New South Wales and Queensland didn't seem nearly as bad.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM

You know, with that sound coming from the V6 engine, and overall affordable package, the V6 could really bring some people into a cool car.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
You know, with that sound coming from the V6 engine, and overall affordable package, the V6 could really bring some people into a cool car.
Where is the sound clip for the V6?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Where is the sound clip for the V6?
You can hear it on the video clips in the MILFORD EXPERIENCE thread. Sounds really good for a 6.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
You can hear it on the video clips in the MILFORD EXPERIENCE thread. Sounds really good for a 6.
Thanks! I will check it out.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Please do...cause it sounds awesome, not a V6 at all, almost like a small V8.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
or, you can look at it in the context that your going to get tired of the engine whether its a v8 or not. I know when I bought my car, it didnt feel fast at all when I first bought it and was definetely needing more power by day 3. With what I have now, it feels ADEQUATE, and pressing down on the go pedal doesn't necessarily mean it's fun at that point either. Like I said, it only feels adequate, It needs more.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
or, you can look at it in the context that your going to get tired of the engine whether its a v8 or not. I know when I bought my car, it didnt feel fast at all when I first bought it and was definetely needing more power by day 3. With what I have now, it feels ADEQUATE, and pressing down on the go pedal doesn't necessarily mean it's fun at that point either. Like I said, it only feels adequate, It needs more.
True. And once I started on the engine, then I turned my attention to the chassis, suspension and brakes... $$$ which is why I think if I spend more on the SS up front then I won't have to do anything to the rest of the package. But this time, I plan to keep the Camaro in original condition. I've learnt a thing or two about over-capitalizing on my last ride!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Direct Injection is a totally different game. Consider that you need nothing more than regular octane fuel to realize the full 300hp. DI makes this possible. Forced Induction, a tune, and some premium fuel is not out of the question.

I'll probably be getting a LT/RS (still deciding on tranny). It'd be nice to have an SS; and I'd get it if things work out -- but given that I don't race, and I don't compare displacements to find out who's 'better' -- I have no use for it. I was completely happy with my choice; in fact, I was downright excited when I saw what the RS looked like! But my spirits were lifted even more when I read this: LINK

Preliminary testing shows that a simple intake and exhaust yields a 31hp gain on the DI 3.6! It should be mentioned that this modification will give the V6 Camaro a BETTER Power/Wieght ratio than the Mustang GT!! This is quite the potent powerplant!
Wow, nice gains from those mods.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Please do...cause it sounds awesome, not a V6 at all, almost like a small V8.
I've had both V6s and V8s with stock and aftermarket exhaust systems... I didn't think it sounded much like a V8. It did sound pretty good for a six, almost as good as nice horizontally opposed 6 cylinders from a certain manufacturer. The true dual system might help cut down on some of the rasp slightly in the 5th gen. I am somewhat happy they didn't go for a very unusual V6 sound like in the 350Z or G coupe. Maybe the V6 will be popular enough that the aftermarket will create exhaust kits that are truly specific to the 6's and can sound good without ridiculous amounts of drone. In the 4th Gen all we had were essentially V8 kits with slightly different pipe diameters that didn't ever sound too terribly decent on the 3.8L's.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 07-30-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: I honestly think the V6 camaro is a better buy...