2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I honestly think the V6 camaro is a better buy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:05 PM

From the start I was always opting for the V6. When the pricing comes out, cant wait to build mine on the chevy website.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ray86IROC
I'm looking forward to the V6 5thgen vs LT1 Fbody 1/4 comparisons. Power to weight between the two should be pretty close w/ the 5thgen being geared better. If you're not out to be the fastest kid on the block that will probably be a nice performance point to be at, which is still pretty quick... Won't be anywhere as responsive to mods as the LT1 though I wouldn't think... For me, if I'm buying one I gotta have the SS though.
I'd like to see the final numbers as well, but if they end up close to the official numbers then the LT1 will be pretty safe. I hope that the V6 ends up low 14s when it is all said and done, and high 13's would be really cool. But it is going to be tough with 300HP and 3700-odd pounds.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Hmmmm.

Maybe we need a poll to see how many V6 RS buyers would be interested.
I'm definitely looking at buying a 6 spd Camaro RS and I would shell out extra money for better brakes and suspension.

Chevy should roll that into some type of "performance" options package, kinda like the Y87 package on the 4th gen V6'ers. Being that the v6 model is gonna be the majority seller, I'd say there could be a damn nice business case for it.

Last edited by SFireGT98; 07-28-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:02 AM

I'm definitely getting a V8.. Probably standard with no RS option..
Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by FAD1
From the start I was always opting for the V6. When the pricing comes out, cant wait to build mine on the chevy website.
Same here. I've long said if the 6 was 300 horsepower with dual exhausts and a 6 speed manual that would be my choice and I wouldn't feel bad about it. Though I totally understand the appeal of the V8 for those whom nothing less will do.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by polo3433
V6 is a good choice, but for me I know every 2010 Camaro I see on the road most likely to be a V6 I need to stand out with the V8 with the rumbling sound and the awesome mail slot

Can I get an amen????
Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM

I really like the preliminary stuff we're hearing about the V6 and I think it will be a great car. I'll probably even test drive one for the experience.

That being said, I had a V6 when I was young and broke. Now that I'm a little less young and a lot less broke, I want 8 cylinders firing under the hood.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM

i agree....it all depends on whether i chose a V6 camaro if the price is reasonable (20K ish)..or go somewhere else....since SS is repoted to be available on the V6 this just makes icing on the cake....of course i would take a 4 banger over the V6 in a new york minute,,make the 4 banger 17K ish and i will buy....car would be for my kid and i am not buying anything thirsty

ps: the cobalt SS is selling hotly...but who wants a cobalt when you can have a camaro...

Last edited by snooter; 07-28-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
supercharger might be tough with that compression ratio.
Why? It's direct injection -- there's no fuel to ignite, so you can pressurize all you want. That's how they get away with such high compression on 87 in the first place. Should just be a matter of tuning it right.

I could be way off on this, but I just can't see how knock/predetonation can possibly be an issue in a properly tuned direct injection car, regardless of cylinder pressure.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Why? It's direct injection -- there's no fuel to ignite, so you can pressurize all you want. That's how they get away with such high compression on 87 in the first place. Should just be a matter of tuning it right.

I could be way off on this, but I just can't see how knock/predetonation can possibly be an issue in a properly tuned direct injection car, regardless of cylinder pressure.
One thing I think you would have to watch out for is ensuring that the injectors can inject into the increased pressure. As the cylinder pressure increases closer to that of the fuel system the injectors are probably going to be less and less effective. Thats just an educated guess on my part though so don't take it as gospel or anything.

Of course, if that is the case, there are probably solutions for other applications that could be copied. The diesel guys have been doing TDI for years so I imagine there's something out there. That would be an odd situation, essentially getting performance solutions for your Camaro from a big rig.

Which makes me think of another issue. Since it still is spark ignition, you'd be limited to situations where the amount of boost doesn't result in a "dieseling" self ignition situation as well. Yet again, just another educated guess though.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nova
One thing I think you would have to watch out for is ensuring that the injectors can inject into the increased pressure. As the cylinder pressure increases closer to that of the fuel system the injectors are probably going to be less and less effective.
That's why direct injection systems need much higher fuel pressures. This particular issue has already been solved.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Schismblade
All things considered, if I were to get one, it would definitely be a V6 RS.

I still need to get over the interior... i'm really trying to like it. It's hard because I didn't care for it even in the concept.

Exterior looks great, though. I really like the RS "option", and I think it'll be worth every penny to whomever opts for it. HIDs are just AWESOME, and the halo rings are a nice touch.

With all of that said, I really think the V6 RS model is the best bet. V6s will drive the sales, and I think GM did a nice job at catering to this. 26MPG.... One could probably wring 30MPG+ out of it.
I think the V6 Camaro will be not just the better buy (between it and the V8 powered SS), but the V6 Camaro, assuming it comes in under 22 grand, is a screaming deal! Consider a few key items.

First, name any other car that costs under $22,000 that has 300 horsepower.

Second, even with a weight of 3780 pounds, that's 12.6 pounds per horsepower. Compare that to roughly 15 pounds per horsepower of the 5.0 Mustangs & L98 3rd gen Camaros and the roughly 12.2 pounds per horsepower of the LT1 4th gens, and you get the idea that these cars aren't exactly going to be slugs.

3rd, and finally, the car is going to have not just star power, it's going to be the best made GM car to date (and might even have a industry leading warranty). Yes, it's supposed to be feel of even more quality than the Malibu.

Sure, when all the tuning is done, the SS Camaro is going to be one hella quick ride. But when you consider the price premium (likely to be around $6000 to $7000 over the base V6) and ask yourself if it's worth it, if the V6 is just as fun, or even 7/10s as fun at 1/4 less the price, I think the V6 is the better deal.

Hats off to GM and the Camaro people! They finally broke from the engine-in-a-box people and created a Camaro that doesn't need the biggest engine to make it a car worth getting...... that means sales!.... That means a future!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Since we know nothing about the actual pricing or pricing of options it is pretty tough to determine what model is the best buy. I am pretty sure that we won't see Brembo's availible on any V6 model as that would likely hurt SS sales.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I am pretty sure that we won't see Brembo's availible on any V6 model as that would likely hurt SS sales.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GM WANTS to sell as many V6's as possible .... or .... I can argue that not offering Brembos on the V6 may hurt Camaro sales.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
supercharger might be tough with that compression ratio.
Direct Injection is a totally different game. Consider that you need nothing more than regular octane fuel to realize the full 300hp. DI makes this possible. Forced Induction, a tune, and some premium fuel is not out of the question.

Originally Posted by guionM
Hats off to GM and the Camaro people! They finally broke from the engine-in-a-box people and created a Camaro that doesn't need the biggest engine to make it a car worth getting...... that means sales!.... That means a future!

I'll probably be getting a LT/RS (still deciding on tranny). It'd be nice to have an SS; and I'd get it if things work out -- but given that I don't race, and I don't compare displacements to find out who's 'better' -- I have no use for it. I was completely happy with my choice; in fact, I was downright excited when I saw what the RS looked like! But my spirits were lifted even more when I read this: LINK

Preliminary testing shows that a simple intake and exhaust yields a 31hp gain on the DI 3.6! It should be mentioned that this modification will give the V6 Camaro a BETTER Power/Wieght ratio than the Mustang GT!! This is quite the potent powerplant!

Last edited by Dragoneye; 07-28-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: I honestly think the V6 camaro is a better buy...