2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

hybrid camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM

hybrid camaro

I have been hearing on the web that GM is being forced to upgrade their camaros because of the CAFE 35 mpg rule when will the hybrid camaro come out? does anybody know
Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 AM

those new cafe restrictions arent until 2012 i think. so there is no point in waiting for a hybrid camaro. and they probably wont need one because they have alot of cars coming out getting upper 30 mpg. hybrid and camaro, IMO are 2 words that chouldnt be combined. you would never see the corvette team concidering a hybrid vette, would you?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Thumbs up How about this!!!

He is already working with the Hummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF__Qlhtnws

Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by fredl11
He is already working with the Hummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF__Qlhtnws

of course the government gets ahold of it first. their gonna find out it works and buy out his pattent and then he'll go missing and we will never hear about water cars ever again. just watch.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Didn't Lexus make a mild hybrid SUV that actually used the hybrid drive to gain performance? If the batteries were light enough, and you could use the power to spin the accessory drive (like the Saturn Vue), it would actually make the car faster.

-Geoff
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM

you can also achieve better gas mileage just by makingthe car lighter and not even changing the powertrain. maybe they should just try to lighten cars up a little more. take a few hundred pounds off of the trucks/suv and cars. not only will it free up hp, but youll actually be hauling less weight = better gas mileage. but the govt. controls all this BS and you cant lighten the car because then probably wont pass strength requirements so they have to basically raise the prices of the cars due to the millions of dollars spent inventing this crap.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
you can also achieve better gas mileage just by makingthe car lighter and not even changing the powertrain. maybe they should just try to lighten cars up a little more. take a few hundred pounds off of the trucks/suv and cars. not only will it free up hp, but youll actually be hauling less weight = better gas mileage. but the govt. controls all this BS and you cant lighten the car because then probably wont pass strength requirements so they have to basically raise the prices of the cars due to the millions of dollars spent inventing this crap.
its easy to blame the government. those are your elected officials. and the consumer has a big say in everything as well. they're the one's actually buying the stuff. and they're the one's that want safer and safer vehicles with more junk inside the car to keep them entertained.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 PM

those new cafe restrictions arent until 2012 i think. so there is no point in waiting for a hybrid camaro. and they probably wont need one because they have alot of cars coming out getting upper 30 mpg. hybrid and camaro, IMO are 2 words that chouldnt be combined. you would never see the corvette team concidering a hybrid vette, would you?
if the camaro is a volume seller, it will indeed have to help out with CAFE. Atleast to where it will be CAFE nuetral.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
if the camaro is a volume seller, it will indeed have to help out with CAFE. Atleast to where it will be CAFE nuetral.
yeah as long as they sell over, ibelieve it it 60,000 units per year then yes it has to help out. the vette sure as hell doesnt help too much there. the camaro gets high teens possibly 20's. thats not bad. i really dont care if it got 10mpg. id still buy it.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
its easy to blame the government. those are your elected officials. and the consumer has a big say in everything as well. they're the one's actually buying the stuff. and they're the one's that want safer and safer vehicles with more junk inside the car to keep them entertained.
yeah people want safer cars. that should be up to the mfg. to make the right car for the job, not the govt. the govt. tells them what they HAVE to do, not what they want to do. the mfg should be the one who says i want to make this very safe and fuel efficient car no matter what someone says. this is just part of the govt. way of controling us and what we do. its going to get worse too. trust me. they will start telling you where and when you can/ cant do something.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Well they already have a hybrid vette and i do belive that the CAFE takes affect in 2010 not 2012 but I will go more into that..
also for the vette its on chevy's offical website here's the linkhttp://www.chevrolet.com/fuelsolutions/
Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM

There is definately NO Hybrid Corvette.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by leodave2000
also for the vette its on chevy's offical website here's the linkhttp://www.chevrolet.com/fuelsolutions/
That's just your everyday normal Corvette. What you linked to is just a list of all of Chevy's models with their fuel economy numbers...No Hybrid 'Vette exists -- or else it'd be all over the place.

........there was, an E85-powered Corvette...it lapped the last Indy 500, I think.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 PM

another good way to increase gas mileage is to leave your lead boots at home :P
Old 12-18-2008, 12:27 AM

My biggest problem with some of GM's "Hybrids" are that they're not actually hybrids. The Malibu/Aura, for example, have electric assist motors but do not contain a high voltage A/C system like a Prius or the true hybrid Tahoe. The other big difference is that electric motors do not directly drive the wheels.

It's not a true high voltage system (60v+). The "hybrid lite" systems are a 36v system that connect to an integrated motor with the driveline. As such, you will see that it has "blue" cabling instead of "orange" cabling. The rest is pretty obvious with the minimal fuel mileage increase over the regular gasoline model. A huge failure in my mind because it makes GM look "cheap" in comparison to the competition. I.e. "Why can't GM make something get good gas mileage like the Prius?"

I think GM could hit the dang Camaro and Corvette out of the ballpark using a true hybrid system. Electric motor torque is...awesome...and we've seen how electric/hybrid technology can impact performance. Just look at Tesla motors. Combined with the existing 3.6, or even the LNF 260hp turbo 4, could be quite impressive and enticing for "new" Camaro buyers.

Quick Reply: hybrid camaro