2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm... Interesting tidbit from Dave Hamburger...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM

It'd be pretty nice to have the Firehawk name on a Solstice coupe instead. A Solstice GXP with perhaps a reprogramed computer, racing suspension, and of course, some exterior add-ons. I think it would be closer to what the last Firehawk was save the V8 engine.

That said, a tuned G8 only adds to Pontiac's performance image and "Firehawk" gives a bit of life to the rather sterile "G8" name.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It'd be pretty nice to have the Firehawk name on a Solstice coupe instead. A Solstice GXP with perhaps a reprogramed computer, racing suspension, and of course, some exterior add-ons. I think it would be closer to what the last Firehawk was save the V8 engine.

That said, a tuned G8 only adds to Pontiac's performance image and "Firehawk" gives a bit of life to the rather sterile "G8" name.
The Solstice GXP firehawk
The G8 Firehawk
A rebodied Camaro to look like some of the Firebird concepts that have floated around
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by rayainsw
Do you have a higher res version?
Or can you just post the text?
its slightly larger (but readible) if you chase the url directly. the board downrezzes it a bit automatically

http://photos.imageevent.com/davidha...wk_teaser2.jpg
Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Solstice doesnt have the volume to support the business case for them to do anything with.

G8 on the other hand.... doesnt take a huge stretch of the imagination to see GXP content to have applications on another vehicle as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM

I could see a G8 coupe, but not a 4 door sedan. I owned a 94 Hawk and a 2001 Hawk and a 4 door Firehawk is just wrong. WTF is Ed Hamburger thinking?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM

The Firehawk name should've stayed on the Firebird.

And a V6 Firehawk?! What are they thinking?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Cue up the righteous indignation over a name previously applied to a two-door being applied to a four door.

It's like a replay of the Charger and GTO stories (even though the latter was still a two door).

I think Firehawk is a fine name and it's good to see it continue.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn 97 Z28 M6
With what he said @ the Summit...... About them bringing the Firehawk back - and the top of the line model will be a SC'd LS3.

Considering they'll be involved with the Camaro and SS, any thought of what their "Big Dog SS" might be called? Those in need of a SC'd 5th gen just might have their prayers answered.

Then again, this may have been discussed @ the banquest last night. I didn't make it like I had planned on - went to the 4wd jamboree and got rained on - after checking out the RS's on saturday morning of course! Swapped hotels and spent last night @ the Embassy Suites downtown.
I wish I switched hotels.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Solstice doesnt have the volume to support the business case for them to do anything with.

G8 on the other hand.... doesnt take a huge stretch of the imagination to see GXP content to have applications on another vehicle as well.
Yup.. This was the gist of my post . I'm thinking it will, especially if GM is backing out of building a SC'd variant of the Camaro.

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I wish I switched hotels.
The Embassy Suites was much nicer , no rooms in 1980 deco. Nice scenery as well...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Solstice Firehawk would be ridiculously awesome.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 PM

Hmmm.....so SLP is going to do a supercharged G8 huh?

I wonder....If SLP were to do anything with the Camaro, could that possibly mean that?

I'm starting to feel the faith again
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
Hmmm.....so SLP is going to do a supercharged G8 huh?

I wonder....If SLP were to do anything with the Camaro, could that possibly mean that?

I'm starting to feel the faith again
it'll be interesting to see if they build the bottom end or if they just slap on the supercharger like Roush does with the mustangs.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 AM

On the one hand, it does feel like a bit of a slap to the Firehawk fans and name. Then on the other hand, you have to realize that really most of the general public has no idea what a Firehawk is. Someone w/ some brains thinking about it could probably put the Firebird -> Firehawk name thing together, but still. A firebreathing Firehawk G8 is probably not such a bad idea, the faithful will connect it w/ SLP, the new fans will just see it as a cool name for a badass new G8.

I'm a little leary of this V6 based Firehawk though, I'm sure w/ a blower you can make some mean power w/ the 3.6l, probably outgunning the G8 GT and maybe even the stock GXP. But still...

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
it'll be interesting to see if they build the bottom end or if they just slap on the supercharger like Roush does with the mustangs.
If it's going to be remotely affordable I'd think it would have to be little more than a slap on SC kit for internally stock engines.

I just hope they don't make several levels of Firehawk (beyond the V6 and V8 versions already mentioned). That would just really water the name down. If they make a V6 version w/ nothing but a catback, CAI, tune and exterior mods I'll be ready to pick up a pitchfork and a torch and join you guys....

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 09-23-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
I could see a G8 coupe, but not a 4 door sedan. I owned a 94 Hawk and a 2001 Hawk and a 4 door Firehawk is just wrong. WTF is Ed Hamburger thinking?
I think it's safe to say they're thinking $$$$$ and nothing else. Take a sporty car from GM, pull out a dictionary of recognized names that are available to use with market recognition, slap 2 together, and start the marketing campaign.

They should have started a new name tradition as opposed to pimping an old name that will **** off their previous customers. Although, I gathered from my interaction with SLP's rep this weekend that keeping old customers happy isn't a priority, they just want new ones. Understandable, but they need to remember, previous SLP owners have the potential to be new SLP owners. They lost one here. I am resisting the urge to pull the SLP parts off my car and taking them to the dump. Stainless would draw a pretty penny at the salvage yard these days.

Last edited by gsf_87iroc; 09-23-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Dave was kind enough to upload the teaser hero card he handed out at the summit

This would be a mistake of epic proportions. Wow, when I first looked at that
pic I saw a Mitsu Lancer. Look, many argue that four doors can make a muscle car and they use the arguement that this car can beat this or that.
A muscle car is two doors and of course a beefy engine, but it's about the look more than anything, we all know they have the power. People want
to make four doors fast and all that, have at it, but don't tell me it's a muscle car. A Firehawk was a muscle car.

Quick Reply: Hmmm... Interesting tidbit from Dave Hamburger...