2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

HELP plz ! Is this dealer telling me stories ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Question HELP plz ! Is this dealer telling me stories ?

Hi guys,

First of all greetings everyone . This is my first post around here... sorry it has to be one of these !

I'm a European guy passionate about cars and muscle cars. I just move to the USA for professionals reasons. After selling my S2000 in Europe I thought well at this point I might as well try something American while I'm here, and being a fan of the Camaro an SS gen5 looked like the best choice.

So with my very relative knowledge of how things work around here I start to chat with the dealer and he tells me you know the price might still change as the car still is in production, so I'll start a little higher in order for you to have a good surprise rather than a bad at the delivery if things change in the meantime.
I say hey cool better a good surprise than a bad once... We build the car and come to a quote.
At the moment of signing I read this on the purchase agreement : "vehicule will be priced at MSRP + $2500 + tax,lic., and any accessories...."
Candidely I thought this +$2500 was a margin the dealer was taking to cushion the "good surprise" thing... and I signed the thing.

Later talking with a buddy and showing him the order to proove I really had ordered a Camaro, he stops smilling reading this and tells me I have been price gouged and that the MSRP meant Manufacturer Sugested Retail Price, and that he just pocketed 2500 free bucks un my foreign stupid **** ...

When I realised I told the dealer I wouldnt give him my coordinates in order to get a little bit of time to take a look at all that, and this morning I receive a mail with the workbench receipt using the adress of my company... Am I dreaming or did the dealer do that to get the order in the system before I can do anything to stop it ?

I have to confess now I am a bit confused... Have I been gouged ? Or is it really a way to cushion a eventual price change before the official MSRP is realised ?

Please chime in and let me know your opinion !

I am not writing the name and location of the dealer to give him the benefit of the doubt, as far as I know I might just be wrong about this, but if it turns out I really was taken advantage of I will mention name location and what I really think about all this.

Cheers !

Olivier
Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 AM

$2500 more??? make 'em change it!

Sounds like the sales guy is trying to rip you for an extra $2500 on top of what he is already making by selling the car at MSRP (I think most of us will be paying MSRP until all the excitement dies down).
I am in California, the law here is that until you actually drive the car off the lot onto the public street, the deal is not done..... I would just go back and make 'em change it, that, or take your business some where else that is happy to sell it at MSRP. I would guess that there is a pretty good markup even at MSRP... I think this site has the facts and $$figures.....
Did they ask for a deposit??? maybe the $2500 was for deposit, did you get a receipt for the $2500??? I put down a $500 refundable deposit, and received a simple receipt for my deposit.

Last edited by jimvor; 01-13-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 AM

Hi there,

Thanks much for the quick feedback !

Yep put down a $1000 bucks non refundable deposit .... In know somebody is going to have me on his back tomorow .....

I feel really stupid I didnt saw that coming ... !! I guess I'll have learned the hard way !

Olivier
Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by HeavyRightFooT
Yep put down a $1000 bucks non refundable deposit .... In know somebody is going to have me on his back tomorow .....
I hate hearing about stories like this. If you cannot get the $1,000 back, still don't buy the car from them. If you do you will encourage them to do the same to the next guy. Plus, losing $1,000 is better than losing $3,500.

There's a lot of good dealerships out there and there is a lot of bad ones. As soon as you can, go and find a good one who will take care of you with a fair and reasonable price. Good luck, and...

Refuse Camaro markups!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 AM

please post the dealer name.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Are you sure it, the $1,000 dollars, is "non-refundable"? In any case it still comes off the total at the signing, which takes place WHEN you receive the car.
None of this is set in stone! The price is negotiable until you receive the car and have signed the final paper work.
All you have done up to this point is sign an "intent" to buy, which is not a binding contract.
GM has delayed the release of the new Camaro by a month so you still have plenty of time to work with the dealer. If the salesman doesn't want to ajust the price, tell him you don't want the car. A lot of times he will pass you off to the sales manager, who is easier to work with.
For future reference; always, always be prepared to say NO and walk away. Don't ever give someone money for nothing, i.e. non-refundable deposits.
In most cases you write a check that the dealer holds until the final signing, at which point they return it to you. That way if something goes wrong you can "stop payment" on the check.
Good Luck!