2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The GRANDDADDY of all Camaro/Firebird shows......

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:10 PM

I guess I better step up my IROC rebuild if I'm gonna make that show. Body and paint will be the most time consuming parts but I'm hoping....
Old 12-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Are you sure that Scott made a promise or just that the vote results were very unanimous? Scott is very, very good about not making promises that he knows he can't keep.

Regardless, sometimes circumstances change beyond the control of the folks who handle things like this.

It was stated the the show would move to Detroit in 07 then back to BG in 08. I'm not sure how much clearer that could be stated. I've known Scott to be an honest man and I'm not stating anything different. I just know how the vote went and that it was stated the show would return to BG for 2008.

Like I stated earlier, it just seemed that from the start this was already discussed with NCM when the vote was taken. Roc didn't seem very surprised at the move for it to have been a "last minute" thing.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM

I was at the BG event in 2006, Scott talked to us about what we wanted to do, and it was more of a plan to come back to BG in '08......it was not a promise. I always had a feeling that once the event left BG, it wouldn't be back because of the poor attendance in 2006.

I am looking forward to the Indy event, it seems to me it will have a lot more to offer than BG.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I was at the BG event in 2006, Scott talked to us about what we wanted to do, and it was more of a plan to come back to BG in '08......it was not a promise. I always had a feeling that once the event left BG, it wouldn't be back because of the poor attendance in 2006.

I am looking forward to the Indy event, it seems to me it will have a lot more to offer than BG.
Call it what you will. It was stated that the event would move to Detroit in 07 and would be back in BG in 08.

I'm not quite sure what the argument is here. It was stated the event would be back at BG in 08 and without discussion, it isn't. I would like to hear what the organizers of the event have to say. I wasn't able to make the Detroit show... maybe a vote was taken there too?

Like I've stated several times, I just got the feeling that this had been discussed with NCM prior to the vote taking place in BG. Roc didn't even flinch when the proposal was announced.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 PM

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here. I've attended 2 BG events, one in '03 and one in '05. Scott put on an awesome show both times, however I noticed attendance was pathetic in '05...not nearly what it was in '03. With that said, if '06 was worse than '05, I am not surprised it was moved. When the new car comes along, with new people entering the fold, then maybe BG can be a larger event.

With that said, I think Indy will have much better attendance. A) Its Indy for christ sakes!!!! B) We're pretty close to the production time of the car and C) Its far more centrally located for MANY of us than BG. From Western MA, its 10 hrs versus almost 15 hrs (granted, that 15 hrs was 3 hrs off Mapquest time, so I imagine I can beat the 10 hr Mapquest estimate to Indy ).

I can't wait...we're going! She said she can get the time off. I can't wait to drive my car on the track!!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Well..... I sent an Email to Roc at the NCM in Bowling Green. This was the reply.

As the Events Manager for the NCM I develop the events and schedule them. Some are done totally by the NCM (Labor Day, Performance Tour, HPDEs) and others are done with input and support from other groups. The Camaro/Firebird Reunion is one of the latter events, done in conjunction with several F Body groups and
extensive support from GM.

During the 2006 event, the representatives from these co-hosts canceled out of a meeting to discuss the future of the event because of GM plans for 2007 and 2008. Those plans include major marketing projects by GM in Detroit (2007) and Indianapolis (2008). With GM planning major events and supporting them, both GM and the various co-hosts declined to support the NCM C/F Reunion.

We recently discussed this with the GM representative and his indication was that they might consider supporting and NCM event in 2009 but would have to discuss it. We have not heard expression of interest from any of the F Body groups so at this time we have no plans to have an NCM F Body event. If there is some interest within the community I would be glad to discuss the possibilities.

Roc Linkov
NCM Events Manager

This is rather interesting considering it WAS mentioned of a possible BG event in 08, however, this is contridicted by the email.

I understand GM foots the bill for most of this but this event is beginning to look more and more like a GM commercial than an enthusiast event.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by cpformula
I understand GM foots the bill for most of this but this event is beginning to look more and more like a GM commercial than an enthusiast event.
That's pretty harsh and I couldn't disagree more.

There hadnt been a budget at GM for FCar for years. We are lucky Scott did what he could during the hiatus. It's not like GM has been rolling in barrels of cash these past few years.

A few things played into the event moving to Michigan this past August. Attendance at BG had been declining year over year. It was alot cheaper for GM to transport vehicles from the Heritage Collection a few miles to the Tech Center as opposed to Kentucky. The Tech Center also afforded an opportunity for some of the current GM brass to get a feel for FCar enthusiasts.

The 2008 event will be a significant one for GM. It makes sense they decided not to hold it at the Corvette museum. Budgeting is still an issue, so it's not like GM could do multiple events (and yes, that was floated but didnt fly). After long deliberation, Indy was chosen by GM. There was minimal enthusiast input. (GM hasn't forgotten about the 12 Disciples of which there are 15 )

I believe we'll see the FCar event return to BG at some point. NCM is a great venue. Camaro will be back in production. There will actually be a marketing budget at GM for Camaro.

Last edited by ChrisL; 01-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
That's pretty harsh and I couldn't disagree more.

There hadnt been a budget at GM for FCar for years. We are lucky Scott did what he could during the hiatus. It's not like GM has been rolling in barrels of cash these past few years.

A few things played into the event moving to Michigan this past August. Attendance at BG had been declining year over year. It was alot cheaper for GM to transport vehicles from the Heritage Collection a few miles to the Tech Center as opposed to Kentucky. The Tech Center also afforded an opportunity for some of the current GM brass to get a feel for FCar enthusiasts.

The 2008 event will be a significant one for GM. It makes sense they decided not to hold it at the Corvette museum. Budgeting is still an issue, so it's not like GM could do multiple events (and yes, that was floated but didnt fly). After long deliberation, Indy was chosen by GM. There was minimal enthusiast input. (GM hasn't forgotten about the 12 Disciples of which there are 15 )

I believe we'll see the FCar event return to BG at some point. NCM is a great venue. Camaro will be back in production. There will actually be a marketing budget at GM for Camaro.
I've appreciated what Scott has done for many years. I've attended numerous events and will continue to support the Fbody.
My point to my posts is and was that there never really seemed to be a "next year" at BG. And from the email, there wasn't. Yes, attendance was down and declining (although I think it was up in 06 from 05) but there were other factors involed there including weather, no current Fbody in production, lack of fbody only racing, etc. There also were less guest speakers and seminars.
I understand the saying he who pays the bills makes the rules and therefor this is GM's game but to say its a chance for the brass to see enthusiasts??? Come on... if GM brass is that out of touch than a few days at Indy isn't going to change anything.
I'm a GM guy and an thrilled at their turn around. This isn't about GM and it isn't about BG. This, to me, is be straight with me from the start. Tell me what the plan is. Don't sugar coat and don't tell me things you know up front isn't going to happen (like BG in 08).
Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 PM

So when is the update on the event since the first of the year is now here
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Prominent Member

We are working on final pricing, etc... as we speak and will post up as soon as we finalize these items. Holidays set us back somewhat. Sorry.

But it IS going to happen and it WILL be a event ot remember.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Doug, any hint on the price range? Just curious on how the breakdown will be on pricing, and is it only open to people with Camaros, Firebirds, Pace Cars, or general public as well? I didn't know, I still have my Z so it doesn't matter to me...jw.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Prominent Member

Not exactly as of yet...waiting on the banquet pricing...but I'd guess in the $40-$50 range-ish....
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cpformula
This isn't about GM and it isn't about BG. This, to me, is be straight with me from the start. Tell me what the plan is. Don't sugar coat and don't tell me things you know up front isn't going to happen (like BG in 08).
The truth, with no sugar coating, is no one ever committed to a 2008 NCM event. If anyone said differently, they were mistaken.

Keep your eyes on the ball here. The where for 2008 isnt the big issue. It's the what. Besides, Indy is probably closer to you anyway.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Not exactly as of yet...waiting on the banquet pricing...but I'd guess in the $40-$50 range-ish....
You mean you're not feeding all of us?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM

ima be there, indy is better than michigain, didnt jason or chris say we were going to have our member summit there too on the last podcast?

Quick Reply: The GRANDDADDY of all Camaro/Firebird shows......