2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good God Guys lets all take a big breath

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

You guys are crazy if you think that the ONLY reason the gauges are there in that spot is "ergonomics". Whatever happened to just having cool stuff on a fast car? Chrome valve covers are cool and add NOTHING for ergonomics. The gauges are there because some people (not everyone, of course) thought they simply looked cool in the concept and hoped that it would make it to production. If you are judging the car based entirely on those gauge ergonomics and truly believe that the designers of the car think that is the BEST place for gauges and vow not to buy as a result, just move along. You are not the target demographic. You probably should consider buying a Kia. I hear they are ergonomic as a ****.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 AM

JasonD, I'm with you on that one!!
Clyde
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
If you are judging the car based entirely on those gauge ergonomics and truly believe that the designers of the car think that is the BEST place for gauges and vow not to buy as a result, just move along. You are not the target demographic. You probably should consider buying a Kia. I hear they are ergonomic as a ****.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 AM

You guys are crazy if you think that the ONLY reason the gauges are there in that spot is "ergonomics". Whatever happened to just having cool stuff on a fast car? Chrome valve covers are cool and add NOTHING for ergonomics. The gauges are there because some people (not everyone, of course) thought they simply looked cool in the concept and hoped that it would make it to production. If you are judging the car based entirely on those gauge ergonomics and truly believe that the designers of the car think that is the BEST place for gauges and vow not to buy as a result, just move along. You are not the target demographic. You probably should consider buying a Kia. I hear they are ergonomic as a ****.
You almost brought a tear to my eye
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
You continue to amaze me. It's as if you think the only opinion that counts is your own. Why can't you face the fact that sometimes you are in the minority on your opinions of what the Camaro should be?
Whoa jg. I never said only my opinion mattered, I was just responding to your post directed at me.

You think they're cool, that's fine.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM

You guys are crazy if you think that the ONLY reason the gauges are there in that spot is "ergonomics".
Actually, completely to the contrary.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What other ergonomic baindaides can we add to a 21st century Camaro?
I don't see the addition of a HUD as being a band-aid at all. A well thought out HUD with various display choices < be it just MPH, Tach, shift light, oil pressure or temp, etc, and any combo the driver chooses > can be very handy. It isn't redundancy as much as it's exceptionally smart to have what you want to monitor in a quick to reference position.

I work with road racing cars quite a bit. I also have been driving with the HUD in the Z06 for some time. The Motec, Stack, or Magnetti Marelli digital displays are what's going on in dash displays for racing. The HUD that GM could offer is quite similar in many ways.

My '02 Z06 HUD allows me to just display MPH, or just a tach, and different combos of guage info...

I'm used to analog guages. I have found, however, that digital guages offer more info in a smaller package. The HUD can offer a best of both worlds customizable choice. That doesn't strike me as a baid-aid at all.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-08-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog

I'm used to analog guages. I have found, however, that digital guages offer mor info in a smaller package. The HUD can offer a best of both worlds choice. That doesn't strike me as a baid-aid at all.
Actually, a well thought out HUD might be cool. I like the way the one on the C6 works, good info yet unobtrusive.

What I was referring to Paul, was the 1st gen console gauges being bandaids.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Whoa jg. I never said only my opinion mattered, I was just responding to your post directed at me.

You think they're cool, that's fine.
My point is that you've been very critical of the new Camaro as of late (even more than your normal self). Most of your comments have had a negative tone, sometimes it appears that you are disgusted by the car. You're beginning to sound like a whiny old fart. (I'm one too, so I think I can say that. ) I normally agree with a lot of what you say, but it is almost as you think the GM designers are purposly ignoring your comments on what you believe the Camaro should be, and are setting out to discredit and ridicule this car.

I know that's not your intent, however that is the way it is coming across.

The problem is, people who are happy with something, generally don't speak out because they are happy with what they see or have. It is only the minority that complain, and sometimes they do extensively to a point where they come across as the majority opinion, even when they're not. It's the old "squeaky wheel" syndrom.

While this Camaro isn't perfect, imho and from what I've seen so far, its pretty damn close. I rather have near perfect than nothing at all, which is what we've had for the last 5 years.

fwiw, I agree with you that oval (or round) gauge pods would look better. But, I can live with those huge 57 Chevy headlamp bezels staring me in the face, provided I'm behind the wheel of a "proper" Z/28.

As for the console gauges, having had them in the past (and present) I see them as being usable, and quite frankly redundant with HUD. Besides, as Jason said... "they look cool".
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Actually, a well thought out HUD might be cool. I like the way the one on the C6 works, good info yet unobtrusive.

What I was referring to Paul, was the 1st gen console gauges being bandaids.
I thought that might be where you were coming from.. In the long or short run, your opinion is noted and certaily valid to you and of interest to the powers that be. I appreciate that. Truly.

I'm very much hoping the car that is coming will exceed your expectations from a user standpoint.

Camaro is a PERSONAL coupe. A car that the driver can connect with. It has to do that to be a Camaro.

We want the faithful to be thrilled.

I want YOU to be thrilled.

I'm only one guy that loves the passionate side of cars.

Would a Corvette style HUD ring your personal bell?

I think it would in spades. BUT... What do I know?

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-08-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28:
The problem is, people who are happy with something, generally don't speak out because they are happy with what they see or have. It is only the minority that complain, and sometimes they do extensively to a point where they come across as the majority opinion, even when they're not. It's the old "squeaky wheel" syndrom.
What you say is usually true but, a personal observation if I may?
The opposite has been true here lately.
The same people chime in time and again to stifle any negative opinions of the interior leaks.
Everyone knows this isn't the final version, Charlie better than most.
I think we should respect everyone's opinion, as just that...

Although I can't see where this interior is heading, and doubt most else can either, I'd be happy with a GOOD HUD set up, NOT like the one on my '03 Rendezvous...ie; old school looking D.O.S. green...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM

One nice thing about the interior over the 4th gen, NO MILE LONG DASH PAD! The Florida sun has already eaten up one of those for me.

The console gauges do have a cool flair to them. They're not driver friendly at all, but they will probably garner comments from anyone who rides in the car. Also the more I look at em, Im not feeling the retro look and numbering of the speedo and tach but I can live with that.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast

I'm not disputing that it distracts you, bothers you, and you find the digits change too much. Every driver is different (that's why HUD's are optional, and can be dimmed, repositioned, and turned off). But I still believe for the vast majority of users/buyers, the HUD is a hit. Why else would it be found on Grand Prix, Le Sabre, Corvette, Acadia, STS, XLR, and DTS? That's an awful lot of buyers. Are they all turning it off?

Ugh. Not this dead horse again
I agree. To each his own. I had it in my old 240sx back in the 90's and I thought it was fairly usefule. Of course it only displayed speed.