2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Good God Guys lets all take a big breath

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
He also mentioned a posibility of HUD being standard when this was brought up here after the unveil
God I hope not.

I can't stand the HUD in my wife's car even after living with it for the last six years. What's especially nice () is that it appears to be on the way out (malfunctioning). Guess what isn't going to get fixed. I guess I'll have to live with a huge, ugly, useless, blister on the dash. I turn it off every time I get in the car anyway though.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Another one feeling GM should put out a better "spy picture" (obviously forgetting why they're actually called "spy" pictures in the first place).
...and another one misreading the original post about GM putting out a better "spy picture", and then not giving credit to the guy for actually being right! (Look what GM went and did with their recent camo removal pic...)
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
God I hope not.

I can't stand the HUD in my wife's car even after living with it for the last six years. What's especially nice () is that it appears to be on the way out (malfunctioning). Guess what isn't going to get fixed. I guess I'll have to live with a huge, ugly, useless, blister on the dash. I turn it off every time I get in the car anyway though.

What exactly can't you stand about the HUD? I would think that HUD would be a safety feature so that the driver can keep his eyes up on the road. I don't know because I've never driven a vehicle with HUD but I assume that safety would be its main purpose. Is it that it's just annoying to you? Can you adjust the amount of light that is transmitted by it?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ToneC
What exactly can't you stand about the HUD? I would think that HUD would be a safety feature so that the driver can keep his eyes up on the road. I don't know because I've never driven a vehicle with HUD but I assume that safety would be its main purpose. Is it that it's just annoying to you? Can you adjust the amount of light that is transmitted by it?
I've driven Grand Prix's with HUDs since 1997, and can vouch for how the HUD definitely helps a driver drive more safely, with their eyes on the road. All HUDs have a complete control for brightness, from full brilliance to 'off'. So anyone who really is annoyed by them can just avoid it completely. You can also adjust the image up and down on the windshield. I hope the new Camaro does have one. All the more reason to trust Fbodfather and wait until the WHOLE car is revealed for the public.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
All my 1st gen Camaros have always had those guages in the same location... at the front of the center console... and it's never been an issue. Besides, with HUD, it's pretty much now a moot point.

Me too. Never an issue at all. They are auxilliary gauges, and while they convey important info, a very quick glance every now and then is all it takes. A LOT safer and less distracting than cell phone conversations, eating, looking at the Mustang rapidly dwindling in your rearwiew mirror, etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
I've driven Grand Prix's with HUDs since 1997, and can vouch for how the HUD definitely helps a driver drive more safely, with their eyes on the road. All HUDs have a complete control for brightness, from full brilliance to 'off'. So anyone who really is annoyed by them can just avoid it completely. You can also adjust the image up and down on the windshield. I hope the new Camaro does have one. All the more reason to trust Fbodfather and wait until the WHOLE car is revealed for the public.
Hmmm,

Okay, that sounds very cool. Didn't Scott mention something about gauge redundancy? I would think redundancy would be HUD or something else that will allow you to keep your eyes on the road.

Last edited by ToneC; 01-06-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
I love the gauge layout on the concept. The vette looks like any other car on the road right now.... BORING..... the camaro is something "different" granted its similar to the 1st gen but as far as whats available now, its def different and stands on its own....
Very well put.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Mm...goodpoint. The fender flares are also not 69 esque, more like 67-68 as well as third gens.
Hmm...my '69 has just as much fender flare as a '67 or '68. And it's stock with all of it's original body panels.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Have the HUDs been updated since the 80's? Last time I saw one it looked like a bunch mis-gapped LEDs. A dot-matrix would look alot better.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenNut
Have the HUDs been updated since the 80's? Last time I saw one it looked like a bunch mis-gapped LEDs. A dot-matrix would look alot better.
GM's HUDs have evolved dramatically since 1989. My first Grand Prix GTP, a 1997, had the 'old-style' HUD with the eight-segment digits (each number was comprised of up to eight switchable LED segments). In 2003, the GP got an upgraded HUD projector with dot-matrix digits... allowing much finer resolution, and even the display of some basic graphics like in the image below (which is from a 2005 GP GTP CompG):

The GP's with the Nav option even had integration with their HUD, which would give realtime HUD annunciation when you should turn, to guide you to your destination!

I don't know if the new Camaro has a HUD (although I've seen some pretty strong hints herein lately). And I don't know if it has any integration with its turn-by-turn nav. But I look forward to seeing a production Camaro, with great anticipation!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the pic and that looks ALLOT better.

Last edited by 3rdGenNut; 01-06-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenNut
Thank for the pic and that looks ALLOT better.
No prob. Like I said, I don't know what all is on the new Camaro, and can't confirm anything... but GM's got the whole HUD thing down and it wouldn't cost a huge amount (in relative terms) to find the new Camaro end up with one. Here's a couple other HUDs:

(From a new GMC Acadia owner. Looks just like the one on my 05 GP GXP, except mine is bright green not teal)

(GMC web site depiction of the Acadia HUD. Shows a tach.)

(Corvette HUD, with 'track mode' capable of depicting realtime G force numbers. Article at http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en...e20050606.html )

The Caddy STS also has a HUD. I believe it shows three or four colors at once, but haven't dug up an image of it ...yet
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Very cool,

I like that a lot.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ToneC
I can't stand the HUD because I find it to be a distraction. While the location and brightness of the projection can be adjusted, the speed reading is always changing. In other words the numbers are always changing because obviously the speed of the car is always changing. Every time the numerals change I catch just a bit of movement with my peripheral vision. I have to fight the subconscious reaction to constantly look at this movement since I know what it is. As I said, the first I thing I do when getting into the car is turn the damn thing off.

I can't stand the HUD because it has been unreliable. We've had problems with this thing in the past and according to my wife it is acting up again.

I can't stand the HUD because for some reason, the HUD speedo reading has never quite meshed with the gauge reading. They have shown slightly different values since new. Which speed is correct? Who knows.

I can't stand the ugly lump on the dash but I imagine this has been resolved in later cars.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 01-06-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by willz
Me too. Never an issue at all. They are auxilliary gauges, and while they convey important info, a very quick glance every now and then is all it takes.
I think its a safe assumption that there's still idiot lights on the dashboard (or HUD) and that one would never need to glance down at the gauges.

That being said, I really like how they look down there.

Quick Reply: Good God Guys lets all take a big breath