2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Going back for another Camaro focus group! PROVIDE YOUR INPUT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Modern interior, w/ no cheap plastics. It makes me feel really ripped off when I look at my 07 Mustang dash and controls.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Im not gunna go with the obvious.

Things like Bluetooth, HID's, Nav, OnStar, and the like are a given at this point. Its needed now to be part of the general automotive world.
We can also expect that the car will be a very well mannered sports car.

I would agree with Charlie in that the GT500 should be only a passing target. Its engine's output should only be a benchmark, not its handling, ride, performance, nor quality or anything else.

I would like to see the two-stage exhaust like on the Corvette and I belive the CTS-V. I dunno how that would play with AFM though.
I would like to see supportive seats, and thin profiles like in the CTS to increase as much rear room as possible.
I hope that there is also a love and support for this car that goes deep outside of the Camaro group, and into Chevy overall.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

This is going to be a little more wordy than you want, Jason, but this is one of the things I'm most interested in, and I've seen very little discussion about it here.

I'm hoping for a high level of customizability, like the Mustang. Stripes, spoilers, wheels, ground effects, exhaust tips, interior and exterior colors, seats -- these things are easily customized. There are over a thousand ways a 2005+ Mustang can look. I don't think the '04-06 GTO got much past 20.

I just played around with the Build & Price page on Ford's website. Mustang is available in eight exterior and seven interior colors, of those 56 possible combinations, four are excluded, leaving 52 color combinations. Multiply that by eight different wheel options and two seats and we're looking at 832 different appearances, and that's before we get into the special appearance packages with stripes, spoilers and ground effects.

I'd like Camaro to be similarly personalizable. I would expect many of these items to be dealer-installed options, not factory-installed.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Since they are probably going to use Active Fuel Management on the V8 (maybe V6 too?) for fuel economy sake, since current AFM engines still idle in 8CYL mode, are they planning a sport/casual switch to make it idle in 4CYL for better city efficiency.

In the same vein as that, are they planning different active handling and traction control settings like on the Corvette.

-----edit-----
All in all, are they planning, for those using the Camaro as a daily driver, a tame to tiger switch. Something that will be docile when we need it and dominating when we want it.

Last edited by The Engel; 04-12-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 AM

I would be hard pressed to see any type of magnaride system on a 20-30k Camaro. TC and Stabilitrac should be available, if not standard.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 AM

I am unsure if this has been discussed before now, so forgive me if it hasn't. I need a car that seats more than 2 people. Please find out about how easily someone can get into and out of the back seat, plus leg room. This is one of my biggest gripes about the GTO and 4th gen.

If they need a good mechanism for how the front seat should work to allow people in and out, a great car to look at for inspiration on this is the 2002 3 series coupe. It has a power front seat, and all you need to do it pull a lever by the head rest and the seat slides forward and lifts up. That makes getting in and out so easy. The back seat seems so much more useful based on this simple little detail.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Tell them Jason, to stop the GT500 fixation. We're not all that impressed with it.
+1

Instead of thinking of competing with the GT500, I'm more interested in a lower cost version of the Z06. I don't need power seats or a HUD or any of that crap. Just more power and lighter weight than the standard V8.

It would be nice to able to drop in an aftermarket radio/nav system, though.

And I don't want day-time running lights. If they must have day-time running lights, then I want a simple way to disable them. I don't want to disable them every time I get in the car.

AND.... it would be nice to integrate the back lights better. Not that big of deal, but it would be nice if they could clean it up a bit.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else... for now.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by my94blackz
Let us have several performance CHOICES, not packages but choices. I would like to choose between 2-3 different gear ratios, 2-3 different v8 power choices, mix any combo we want not just whatever GM thinks we want. I want to be able to mix match my perfect car that I want. If I went to order a car I would want 20 choices to pick from not base and sport package.
Originally Posted by 1stls1
We NEED to have choices for OUR car! Not pkgs that they setup, this car needs to become ours. Deff need to have diff b/n the base-Z/28-SS.
This will cause MAJOR problems on the sales side. Offering too many individual options only makes it so that a customer is almost never satisfied with what is available for purchase. A dealer will have a car on the lot that has 9 out of 10 aspects right for an individual buyer, but they wont take it because it's missing that one last thing. Buyers are too finicky now.

Offering items in packages really streamlines things and will actually result in a great sales success (which is important if you want the car sticking around). Just because a good amount of people on this board would be willing to place an order and wait for their car, that is not how the general public buy their cars, and GM needs to make sure that deals can sell cars on the spot.

Having said that, a strong parts support system would be very beneficial to the image of the car.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Please let us know what has been decided for the production TAIL LIGHTS. I'd love to see something more like the concept than the mules.

Also, LED side marker lights instead of typical lights so that we NEVER need to get in there to change them (or at least not in the 1st 15 years...).

I'd say LED lights all around, but i know headlights and tail lights with LED's aren't very likely.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Since the Camaro will be rolling down the assembly line in only 6 or 7 months, I suspect this focus group is geared more to last minute tuning and interior trim. Most of what's on the past 4 pages is stuff that is quite a bit tardy.

That said:

* Drop Daytime Running Lights, or at least have the ability to turn them off even after they are on.

* Don't be afraid of chrome and/or woodgrain trim. It's tasteful when done right and adds warmth to the interior.

* As mentioned by someone else, don't cheap out on interior materials. Mustang has a relatively nice interior... until you actually touch things. With foreign automakers also getting into the moderately priced coupe market, the fact that the size of the coupe market is pretty modest at the moment, and that interiors tend to make or break a first impression, Camaro MUST have an interior that has top drawer materials (or at least as close as possible).

* Chrysler's SRT division did an awsome job tuning the Challenger's exhaust. The old LT1 Camaros had quite a good base to it's exhaust. The GTO had a great sounding exhaust. V8 Camaros should have the same sound. There should be the same type of optional exhaust package for the V6.

I think it's a bit late for anything else & I feel it's obvious GM is sweating the details for top drawer handling, so that about covers my wishlist.

Have fun!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Please Dont Use That Wing In The Clay Model Back A Few Pages,
That Thing Looks Like [ Rice ].. No No
Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Make a car that will SELL to the vast majority, make a model starting under or very near $20K, make something that will encourge production of a 6th generation camaro that is NOT retro, and finally if a 1998 LS1 can get 30mpg, I would expect by now a model that will get better fuel economy than that
Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM

I just have a few things to add/ask.

1. Make certain the car has a fuel filler. I don't want them to get so caught up in the debate about which side it should be on that they forget to include it.

2. Brakes. The car absolutely must have brakes on it. Years ago I had to drive my '73 Nova home from college without brakes and it was a real nightmare. I ended up having to tie a cord between the parking brake release handle and the door handle so that I could use that little pedal to stop the car. So I want good brakes on the Camaro.

3. If they're going to have back up lights, I think they should have "go forward" lights too, you can never be too safe.

4. I'd like to see a factory option for a trunk monkey. The after market and dealer installed trunk monkeys are often poor quality and I think the factory could nip that issue in the bud.

5. It's probably too late for this, but I'd like the car to be really easy to work on and upgrade. I think the entire drive train should be held in place with a couple of spring type cotter pins.

That's about it for now.

On the serious end of things. Please let the crew know that I really like what I've seen. I've already committed myself to hanging onto the old, nearly worn out, car I've been driving in order to have the money to buy as much Camaro as I can afford. I think they've done a brilliant job with the design and with keeping the production stuff close to the concept over all. I just want them to keep up the good work.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM

I'd like to see a paint colour choice identical to the silver the first concept had. Even as an extra cost option if the paint is expensive.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Navigation with 6 disc and MRI shocks. Optional motors for the same trim.

Quick Reply: Going back for another Camaro focus group! PROVIDE YOUR INPUT!