2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM to Close (SOME) North American Operations in January

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM

GM to Close (SOME) North American Operations in January

What does this do for the new Camaro?

***Link Edited and Displayed from Original Source Below***

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by ZZMike; 12-12-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: GM Media Link Given
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Slight difference between ALL and 30% (well...for now anyway). Here's the source and complete information:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=50965

FOR RELEASE: 2008-12-12

GM Announces Significant Production Cuts for Q1 '09

Moves In Direct Response to Rapidly Deteriorating Market Conditions

DETROIT - General Motors announced today a significant reduction of planned production for the first quarter of 2009 due to the ongoing and severe drop in industry sales, which were down 36 percent in November overall and 41 percent for GM (2007 vs. 2008). The impact of these and recently announced actions to adjust production with market demand, will result in the temporary idling of approximately 30 percent of GM's North American assembly plant volume during the first quarter of 2009 and will remove approximately 250,000 units from production.

The speed and severity of the U.S. auto market's decline has been unprecedented in recent weeks as consumers reel from the collapse of the financial markets and the resulting lack of credit for vehicle financing.

The following U.S., Canada and Mexico operations impacted by today's announcement include:

U.S.:

* Ft. Wayne (Ind.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Light Duty Regular and Extended Cab
* Flint Assembly (Mich.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Heavy Duty Regular and Crew Cab & Medium Duty
* Wentzville (Mo.) - Chevy Express, GMC Savanna
* Lansing Delta Township (Mich.) - Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook
* Pontiac Assembly (Mich.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Heavy Duty Extended Cab
* Spring Hill (Tenn.) - Chevy Traverse
* Fairfax Assembly (Kan.) - Chevrolet Malibu/Hybrid, Saturn Aura/Hybrid
* Arlington Assembly (Texas) - Full Size SUVs: Chevy Suburban, Tahoe & Tahoe Hybrid, GMC Yukon, Yukon XL & Yukon Hybrid, Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV & Escalade Hybrid
* Lansing Grand River (Mich.) - Cadillac STS & CTS
* Orion (Mich.) - Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6
* Detroit-Hamtramck (Mich.) - Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS
* Shreveport (La.) - Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Hummer H3 & H3T
* Bowling Green (Ky.) - Chevy Corvette, Cadillac XLR
* Wilmington (Del.) - Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Opel GT

Canada:

* Oshawa Consolidated - Chevy Impala
* Oshawa Truck - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Light Duty Extended and Crew Cab
* CAMI - Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent

Mexico:

* Silao - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Light Duty Crew Cab, Chevy Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade EXT
* Ramos 2 - Chevy HHR, Saturn VUE, Chevy Captiva
* San Luis Potosi - Chevy Aveo, Pontiac G3

As a result of these assembly plant actions, GM will also continue to assess its powertrain and stamping capacity needs and make adjustments as appropriate.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the annual global industry sales leader for 77 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 252,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 34 countries. In 2007, nearly 9.37 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Slight difference between ALL and 30% (well...for now anyway).
Understand, this is the part that really scares me......

http://www.640toronto.com/Channels/R...spx?ID=1046361

I absolutely hope that this is not the case.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 PM

I know Jason and some other guys won't like hearing it, but.....

I think we all better prepare ourselves to accept the fact that Camaro might be delayed -- or that we might never actually get it at all, if things continue the way they are.

In fact, Camaro is the least of our worries - will GM still be operating this spring?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM

GM will get their loan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28166218

Have faith
Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 PM

It kinda sounds like they are trying to scare the White House into giving them access to the TARP funds.

I will say this seems like a smart move on GM's part to stave off bankruptcy without federal funds.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
GM will get their loan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28166218

Have faith
Sure. The natural course in the Democratic process comes up with no bailout. But that isn't good enough for the White House. They are circumventing the very fabric of our society. Those funds were made available for the banking crisis. Now they want to use it for something that was not intended. WTF has this country come to?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by embpic
Sure. The natural course in the Democratic process comes up with no bailout. But that isn't good enough for the White House. They are circumventing the very fabric of our society. Those funds were made available for the banking crisis. Now they want to use it for something that was not intended. WTF has this country come to?
Yeah, what has this country come to when we can give an obscene amount of money to an industry that pushes paper around without any controls on it, but we can't loan a comparatively insignificant amount to our last great manufacturing industry that is woven INTO the very fabric of our society.

?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yeah, what has this country come to when we can give an obscene amount of money to an industry that pushes paper around without any controls on it, but we can't loan a comparatively insignificant amount to our last great manufacturing industry that is woven INTO the very fabric of our society.

?
Look this is a very emotional issue on both sides. I definitely want the big three to survive, but I want them to do it without a bailout. I believe they can do it. Just remember this money they want is just a start. They will be back for more. Alot more. I think giving the money to them will just prolong the status quo.

Bankruptcy and breaking the ridiculous UAW contracts is one way to deal with the problem. GM just stated that they are suspending 30% or so of their plants. GOOD. This is the kind of moves GM needs to do to save cash in this economy.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

I made a call, things should be just fine. The ripple effect hasn't reached the Camaro, and hopefully will not. It ain't over until it is over, and it is far from it still.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't worry Jason. GM will get their money. Bush will give it to them. It will be interesting to see who else will come out of the woodwork to get some of that 700 billion.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM

I wonder why the Canadian government isn't being asked to participate in a bailout.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM

I definitely want the big three to survive, but I want them to do it without a bailout.
I'd love for them to be able to do it without a bailout too - but this thing has reached critical mass. Period.

And you are talking about bankruptcy like it is an option, which it is not. GM in bankruptcy literally means GM broken into pieces and sold off. It isn't going to survive that way, unless you like Tata Corvettes built in India and the like. I don't believe I am exaggerating.

The UAW contracts are not so ridiculous anymore. The jobs banks had already begun to get eliminated, and I believe I saw somewhere that the average UAW worker makes $9/hour more in salary and benefits combined than the average southern ToyoHondissan line worker, and that number is sure to still fall.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
And you are talking about bankruptcy like it is an option, which it is not. GM in bankruptcy literally means GM broken into pieces and sold off.
I respect your opinion but I disagree. GM just today has shown that they are going to play hardball to save cash. With these measures, maybe they can avoid bankruptcy.

Think about this though. I work in the airline industry. The airlines are in shambles. You can bet your a$$ that they will want a part of the $700 billion if GM gets a piece. And you can also bet it won't end with them.

My real concern is what kind of America are my children going to live in. 10 trillion in debt and climbing......
Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Think about this though. I work in the airline industry. The airlines are in shambles. You can bet your a$$ that they will want a part of the $700 billion if GM gets a piece. And you can also bet it won't end with them.
As has been pointed out in this forum many times, a bankrupt airline is not in any way like a bankrupt car maker. You purchase a plane ticket on a bankrupt airline and within a few hours your tie to it is over. A car is a major investment over the next few years of a person's life. That person wants to feel comfortable that warranties will be honored, parts will be available, etc. Would you get that comfort feeling from a bankrupt automaker?

My real concern is what kind of America are my children going to live in. 10 trillion in debt and climbing......
You and me both, you and me both.

Quick Reply: GM to Close (SOME) North American Operations in January