2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Funny But Sad, about the competition,

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Funny But Sad, about the competition,

This story just shows you the level to which some dealers will go in order to get a sale and bash the competition. I don't think they would go this far unless they were seriously threatened,

I went to my local Dodge Dealership in Joliet Illinois (which can remain nameless) to check out the Challenger. Once I found out you can get a V6 for about 22k, I wanted to check it out and compare it to the Camaro. I told them this and then we went for a drive in a 5.7L V8 version. It's a fast car. But speed is not everything. It uses electronics to try to hide the fact that it is essentally based on a 10 year old full size mercedes sedan, which results in a curb weight I'd expect from a full size SUV, not a "muscle" car. You can tell it's heavy when you drive it, imitate tire heating darts left and right and you get the sense the car does not want you to do that. The heft does help absorb the bumps, though.

Well, going back to the dealer, I tell them I want to drive the stick version which they already told me was not in stock. I also tell them I plan on driving the new Camaro before I make a decision, the saleswoman goes back to "talk to her manager" and this is what she come out with;
her
"didn't you hear the Camaro has been delayed?"
me
"No, it has not been delayed"
Her
"yes, my manager told me that it won't be out until late 09, maybe not until 2010"
me
"Well, that's interesting because I have talked to some people on the Camaro Development team, and it is not being delayed."
Her
"Well let me go get my manager"
Manager
"Hi, yeah did you like the Challenger?"
Me
"it feels heavy"
Manager
"oh, yeah but it's quick right?"
Me
"it's ok"
Manager
"So, you want to wait until the Camaro comes out?"
Me
"Yes"
Manager
"I just read it might not hit the showrooms until 2010"
Me
"no, you didn't"
Manager
gives me a look like someone just yelled out BULLSHT! then says, "well where is it then? It was shown before the challenger and it's still not out, the challenger was shown after the Camaro and it's already here"
Me
"Well, instead of basing it off an outdated, and HEAVY platform, GM decided to build it from an all new RWD chassis so it will probably weigh 1/2 a ton less than the Challenger, get better mileage, handle better and be much, much faster." yes I actually said that to him, since he wanted to sit there and give me a Boldfaced lie about the camaro.
Manager
The look came back, then he said,
"ok, well I guess we'll see"
Me
"Considering I get regular updates from people who work for GM, specifically on the Camaro, you will see Camaros' probably in January."
Manager
He walked away.

Now, If someone in the area buys a New Camaro and gets it in January or February, come by, pick me up and let's go do a burn out in front of their showroom in a non existant Camaro.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

Funny, but not uncommon.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM

I wish GM had the cash to put up billboards in front of all of these dealerships, saying

"2010 Camaro, coming Feb 2009"
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM

Everything I hear on the new Challenger has been nothing but bad. I hear the rear of the car is just a pain to see out of, even to just pull out of parking spots......
Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 PM

What is sad is that most buyers are not as informed as you and the sales Managers words would of worked on somone less informed.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Haha nice! Harsh, but that ignoramus deserved it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM

yes that is sad how some people will say things to try and get you to buy now of something that isn't that great.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Hahaha!

I've had a few experiences like that...

In 2006, my dad's '93 Saturn SW2 broke down finally after 243,000 miles, so we started shopping around for cars. My mom, for whatever reason, wanted to "give toyota a chance," so we went to look at a corolla. My dad mentioned something about how we had owned only GM vehicles for the past decade, and the saleswoman immediately said something about how GM was inferior to toyota in quality and design.

What did my dad say?

"I work for GM. I built Camaros and Firebirds at Norwood Assembly. Toyota doesn't have anything that even comes close to our cars."

Poor saleswoman didn't know what to say.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

This just in...Car salesman/manager lied about something to try and make a sale.

Yes it is very common and true. I worked at a dealership and have heard some of the worst lines ever.