2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM

For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........

let me just remind everyone saying "we've seen this car before", "it looks like all the concepts that we've seen", "this is just like all the pics that have been here for months"..........

[RANT=] a reason it looks like all the pics we've been seeing for months. most of the concept drawings are from people that were at the styling clinic or inspired by people who talked about what they saw like evok. we don't know how old these pictures are. this could have been taken 3 months after the clinic or 3 months ago.

sorry to rant, but like Red said before, lets hold our final judgement for the wecast/pics/simulcast from NAIAS before we flame GM for something that we, hardcore enthusiasts with "connections" to in the know people, have seen drawings of before.[/Rant]
Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 PM

Re: For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........

LOL. It looks like all the concepts. Gee, I wonder why? Why do people make concepts anyway? Maybe so they'll eventually have an influence on the car's design? Some people have to understand that the biggest criticism of the 4th gen is that it was impractical and went too far to the sports car side. Look at the value of 67-69 Camaros and Firebirds these days. There's even a company doing re-pops of them for crying out loud.

Why does the Mustang sell? Because it is based on a car whose sales went through the roof in 1965.

Why will the new Camaro sell? Because it's based on a car that sold like freaking crazy and commands ridiculous collector prices right now.

We're going after the 6cyl market here. A car for women who want a sharp car that is reasonably priced and has some resemblance of practicality. For that we get a V8 musclecar version that kills Mustangs and everything else.

Hooray.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Well for those of us that didn't like all the concepts before, looking like those concepts is still a very bad thing.

You're right though, I'm sure it will look much better in person. If it's anything like the leaked pics it won't be outstanding or original, but it will probably be OK.

Some of us wanted more than "OK" for our beloved f-bod.

I won't get too down until January.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
let me just remind everyone saying "we've seen this car before", "it looks like all the concepts that we've seen", "this is just like all the pics that have been here for months"..........

[RANT=] a reason it looks like all the pics we've been seeing for months. most of the concept drawings are from people that were at the styling clinic or inspired by people who talked about what they saw like evok. we don't know how old these pictures are. this could have been taken 3 months after the clinic or 3 months ago.
I wish that was the case but that is not true. It looks like all the other concepts because it is a 1st gen with cleaner lines and no chrome. It looks like other concepts because a retro design is easy because you have a full design in which to base it off. Most of the designs were done a great deal of time before any clinic.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM

what kills me is a few people said they really liked johnnyGmachines drawing but don't like the clay which looks ALOT like it.

and some of the anti-retro boys (Jason E!!!!!!!!) love the thing.

like i said before, i'm holding my judgement til NYIAS in April when i see the thing up close and can tell Scott in person what i like and dislike about it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Most of the designs were done a great deal of time before any clinic.
Crispey's, Kris H's, johnnygmachine's, danno's, and evok's words that inspired these and a few more were all done after the car was clinic'd
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM

and some of the anti-retro boys (Jason E!!!!!!!!) love the thing.
That makes me wonder. I've been thinking, are people going to say they love it just because they've waited so long to see anything? I've had the opposite reaction, it's been so long it better damn well blow my skirt up.

If people have a lukewarm reaction, is GM going back to the drawing boards? Do people just want any Camaro out and will say it's great just to see it on the roads?

Personally, I'd rather see the whole name stay dead than see a Camaro I wouldn't want to buy. Take another twenty years to do it, just make sure it's done right. That'd be a whole lot of Mustangs they could've sold in the mean time though.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM

I don't think it looks quite like the concept you mention turbo, it's more retro and more 1st Gen. The front of that concept is way better than the real thing. I like the sides on both. I dislike the rear of this car and circular taillights that his had IIRC. It's average instead of new and outstanding.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-07-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM

I believe I did say that Johnny's was nicely done and such, but you don't see me removing the message to GM in my sig, lol...I don't want a retro Camaro, and whether one looks nice and I admit that it looks nice doesn't mean that it's what I want the next Camaro to be...Besides, Johnny's drawing is quite a bit more streamlined than the clay pics...Regardless though, I don't see it as being a Camaro, or at least not my Camaro.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Buttercup
That makes me wonder. I've been thinking, are people going to say they love it just because they've waited so long to see anything? I've had the opposite reaction, it's been so long it better damn well blow my skirt up.

If people have a lukewarm reaction, is GM going back to the drawing boards? Do people just want any Camaro out and will say it's great just to see it on the roads?

Personally, I'd rather see the whole name stay dead than see a Camaro I wouldn't want to buy. Take another twenty years to do it, just make sure it's done right. That'd be a whole lot of Mustangs they could've sold in the mean time though.

i think Jason's reaction was sincere(he did complain about a few things). i doubt this car will get a lukewarm reaction, it really is a well executed car, but like Red said, some will love it, some will hate it, and some will be indifferent til they see it in person. alot of diehard F-body guys i know hated the 4th gen's looks when it came out, but it grew on them in a relatively short time.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM

That's what i have been wondering.

A few years ago, there was a poll where people were asked if they wanted a retro Camaro or a fresh Camaro and nearly 80% said they wanted a fresh Camaro design. So what happened? Where are those 80%? Did they change thier minds? Did they see the concept and think that the retro design is good? Or are they just so happy to see a new Camaro that they really don't care what it is as long as it is comming out?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Wow, it's almost like your reading my mind or something, lol When I first saw it I was just excited to be seeing a "new Camaro". At that point it probably wouldn't have mattered what it looked like so much....what was important was that it was something I'd been dying to see for so long and now I was finally seeing it. Now that I've had a day to reflect on it though, I'm less than pleased with it. But even more, I'm less than convinced that our new Camaro would really be styled like that. Personally, I still have alot of faith that GM has something ready for Jan 9th that is going to blow everyone's doors off
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM

alot of diehard F-body guys i know hated the 4th gen's looks when it came out, but it grew on them in a relatively short time.
I can't think of when a lot of diehard f-body guys said "hey, it's like the Mustang" before. That's what the general wants the public to say but as a diehard it's almost embarrassing.

I'm going to have some egg on my face. When the new Mustang came out, a lot of people around me were negative to the retro theme. A "cop out" was a term I heard a lot of. These weren't car people. I of course said, GM will hopefully make the car evolutionary like the 'Vette. I mean, that's a car they've actually been getting right!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by slayerxxx213
Now that I've had a day to reflect on it though, I'm less than pleased with it. But even more, I'm less than convinced that our new Camaro would really be styled like that. Personally, I still have alot of faith that GM has something ready for Jan 9th that is going to blow everyone's doors off
I feel the same way. What we are seeing is not a finnished concept so there is still hope, but at the same time, I would believe that the concept we will see will be almost identicle to the passenger side design. All of the exterior shots are from that side which makes me think that this is the design that was given a green light. Also, if this was just a concept that was not really close to the real thing, GM wouldn't be so pissed.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
I feel the same way. What we are seeing is not a finnished concept so there is still hope, but at the same time, I would believe that the concept we will see will be almost identicle to the passenger side design. All of the exterior shots are from that side which makes me think that this is the design that was given a green light. Also, if this was just a concept that was not really close to the real thing, GM wouldn't be so pissed.
i would think that this car has had some tweaks done since those photos were taken, but we won't know til January.

and as for GM being pissed, wether this is the car we are gonna see or not, i don't blame them for throwing a fit seeing as how confidential documents wereleaked from inside the company.

Quick Reply: For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........