2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Camaro ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
You know, you sure do talk alot, but where are you getting all this information?

As far as I am concerned you are just as un-knowledgeable as the rest of us when it comes to anything about a car that hasnt had pricing, or engine specs or ANYTHING RELEASED YET.

EVERYTHING IS A GUESS.

And just a little FYI, ANYONE can order a sky, or a solstive, or a Mustang from the factory, wait 2-3 months, and have it for MSRP or Less. The people that pay mark-up's are suckers.

But dont ever say that they CANT BE HAD without a 10k mark up, that is ignorant, and not even close to the truth.

What I was talking about is from a Dealership not from the factory.

Most people wouldnt have a clue on how to get a hold of someone to order it from the factory. most people cant wait 2-3 months for a car then need one & they need one now.

Last edited by krazzycowgirl; 04-03-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM

I bought my FULLY loaded SS (the one in my sig), for 31k OTD.

So once again, where is this coming from...have you ever even bought your own car? Because if you are paying that for your vehicle, then you need to let someone else buy it for you...no offense, but seriosly.
Is the car a hard top/t-top or a vert?

Diff states & diff dealerships have diff mark ups.

FIrst off I dont own a 02 Camaro, I do own 4 other ones though. If you bother looking at what I do own. But I do buy cars, OH & I deal with Dealerships every day.

Last edited by krazzycowgirl; 04-03-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 PM

I bought my FULLY loaded SS (the one in my sig), for 31k OTD.

So once again, where is this coming from...have you ever even bought your own car? Because if you are paying that for your vehicle, then you need to let someone else buy it for you...no offense, but seriosly.
So she was quoting MSRP. That's always going to be the place to start. Yes, some people will wind up paying below that but the MSRP of the Mustang is going to be the price point the Chevy aims for.

As for the cost with the new LSx engine, the price will be lowered by the use of this engine in multiple vehicles, not only here in North America but down under and possibly Europe. Think Corvette, new Impala, G8, Holden Commodore, etc. This will drop the cost. Look at what the LS2 has been in and you should get the idea.

We aren't operating within a total vacuum on estimated pricing. We know what the Camaro will have as competition; Mustang, Charger, etc. We know it will have to be priced below the Corvette for the top of the line Camaro.
That said, we'll probably start around the low 20s (very low) and max out at around 35K for a FULLY LOADED top of the line special edition Camaro. (fully loaded includes every option you could possibly want).

Anything apart from this will have to wait for an official announcement. But please, everyone remember, there are some very good sources of information that have talked to us. If we have listened to them the information above becomes clearer.

One other note, around here there is at least a 6 month waiting list for the Sky. With the Sky Redline and Solstice GXP coming out, I do not expect that waiting list to get any shorter. The Pontiac dealers are getting every markup for the Solstice. With them all selling out, it might be more than a little tough to order one from the factory and receive it withing 2-3 months.

Note: I used the Charger for a comparision since with the uncertainty of the future of the Chrysler Group within DCX, I am not sure if the Challenger will actually make it to assembly.

Last edited by zhawk; 04-03-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 PM

there will be markups, you should expect them. at the least for the first year. after that, only the higher line models (non base v6). the higher quality the camaro comes out to being, the longer the markup will last. when the new generation civic came out last year, we had ZERO problems selling ALL of them for $1000-$3000 above MSRP. Now, a year later, they are selling at MSRP, but the Si's are haveing zero problems selling above MSRP. These are CIVICS!! they dont hold a special place in someones heart as a classic as a camaro. The $31k OTD for the camaro was for a car that was not desirable anymore. You can bet the 09 Camaro, regardless of trim level, will be desirable.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by zhawk
So she was quoting MSRP. That's always going to be the place to start. Yes, some people will wind up paying below that but the MSRP of the Mustang is going to be the price point the Chevy aims for.

As for the cost with the new LSx engine, the price will be lowered by the use of this engine in multiple vehicles, not only here in North America but down under and possibly Europe. Think Corvette, new Impala, G8, Holden Commodore, etc. This will drop the cost. Look at what the LS2 has been in and you should get the idea.

We aren't operating within a total vacuum on estimated pricing. We know what the Camaro will have as competition; Mustang, Charger, etc. We know it will have to be priced below the Corvette for the top of the line Camaro.
That said, we'll probably start around the low 20s (very low) and max out at around 35K for a FULLY LOADED top of the line special edition Camaro. (fully loaded includes every option you could possibly want).

Anything apart from this will have to wait for an official announcement. But please, everyone remember, there are some very good sources of information that have talked to us. If we have listened to them the information above becomes clearer.

One other note, around here there is at least a 6 month waiting list for the Sky. With the Sky Redline and Solstice GXP coming out, I do not expect that waiting list to get any shorter. The Pontiac dealers are getting every markup for the Solstice. With them all selling out, it might be more than a little tough to order one from the factory and receive it withing 2-3 months.

Note: I used the Charger for a comparision since with the uncertainty of the future of the Chrysler Group within DCX, I am not sure if the Challenger will actually make it to assembly.
The MSRP for an 01-02 SS Vert was not 35k.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
there will be markups, you should expect them. at the least for the first year. after that, only the higher line models (non base v6). the higher quality the camaro comes out to being, the longer the markup will last. when the new generation civic came out last year, we had ZERO problems selling ALL of them for $1000-$3000 above MSRP. Now, a year later, they are selling at MSRP, but the Si's are haveing zero problems selling above MSRP. These are CIVICS!! they dont hold a special place in someones heart as a classic as a camaro. The $31k OTD for the camaro was for a car that was not desirable anymore. You can bet the 09 Camaro, regardless of trim level, will be desirable.
NOT DESIRABLE ANYMORE? In the 2 hours i was at the dealership picking up my car, i had to ask 5-6 people not to get in it because it was sold. And i had 2 people ask me if they could buy it from me, FOR MORE THAN I PAID.

So that my friend is just not true.

I COMPLETLEY understand that thier will be markup's, but you cant quote the price of a car 5 years ago with MSRP vs. an 09 with a markup, that isnt the way it works. Thats what i was arguing about.

You guys are acting like you have to pay the mark-up...just order one, you can wait, and to cowgirl who said you cant wait...bull, you could if you wanted to.

Last edited by Z/28lover; 04-03-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
What I was talking about is from a Dealership not from the factory.

Most people wouldnt have a clue on how to get a hold of someone to order it from the factory. most people cant wait 2-3 months for a car then need one & they need one now.
How to get ahold of someone???

Step 1. Walk up to nearest Chevy dealer
Step 2. Say you want to place an order for a Camaro
Step 3. Give them your specs
Step 4. Wait
Step 5. Take delivery and act like a kid again.

You dont actually have to call the factory...and just so you know, im sorry if i come off a little mean tonight, im not trying to. I just had surgery on my knee, and im in pain, and I am just being a little ****. So i do apologize if I am offending anyone, honestly I really do. But i do speak the truth.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Step 4. Wait

You dont actually have to call the factory...and just so you know, im sorry if i come off a little mean tonight, im not trying to. I just had surgery on my knee, and im in pain, and I am just being a little ****. So i do apologize if I am offending anyone, honestly I really do. But i do speak the truth.
I for one am not offended, but here is a little info from the Camaro White Book.
Camaro Z28 Convertible $29965
SS Package $3625
35th Anniv Package $2500
Total $36090
And that doesn't include every option available. So, as you can see, an SS could be priced up to and above 35K. There were other ways to get that price up there. This was just the shortest way to show it.
BTW, add a pace car package and the price can wind up even higher.

As Krazzy said, not everyone knows how to order from the factory. Many people think you have to go through the dealership sales process. You know how, I do, so do a lot of others here. Why? Because we are enthusiasts who do our homework and check up on things. Most people are very ignorant about factory direct ordering and a lot of dealerships like it that way.

I hope you feel better soon. I've had major back problems and I know how pain can make you seem touchy. Take it easy and get well.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Step 4. Wait
...........yup, pretty tough huh?

The same people who are clueless enough to not know how to go about ordering a car, are the same people that are clueless/stupid enough to buy from a greedy local dealer who charges over MSRP; as opposed to being patient and searching for a dealer who doesn't.

If I have to pick between a local dealer who wants to gouge me for $5-$10K or a dealer who wants MSRP or less out of state, guess what? I'm making a road trip. Hell, I'd fly half-way across the country (with a CHEAP ticket on a discount airline of course ) if it would save me $5-$10K.

Anyone who pays over MSRP is either a fool, or has money to burn.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
That is interesting. We bought my wife's Civic in February of '06 for $200 over invoice, and that included the delivery fee. Not once did I ever see a Civic selling for MSRP, let alone over MSRP. Must be a regional difference.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Where did you come up with that? All indications (at least by Fbodfather) are that each Camaro model will be priced within $500 of each compareable Mustang model. That's a wash IMHO when it comes to pricing.
Well that is more expensive, and that what I heard
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Well that is more expensive, and that what I heard
I consider it a $500 discount for having to own a Ford.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I consider it a $500 discount for having to own a Ford.

When you consider how much more car you are getting for that mere $500 more, it is a pretty good deal IMHO.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Casull

When you consider how much more car you are getting for that mere $500 more, it is a pretty good deal IMHO.
It would still be nice if it were LESS than the Mustang though . Think about it, the 'Vette out-performs cars that are considered "exotic" sports cars, and yet it does so for way less money! So why can't the Camaro out-perform its rival cars for less money as well??
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 AM

NOT DESIRABLE ANYMORE? In the 2 hours i was at the dealership picking up my car, i had to ask 5-6 people not to get in it because it was sold. And i had 2 people ask me if they could buy it from me, FOR MORE THAN I PAID...
Doubt it.

1. People getting into a car doesn't mean they're going to buy it. I think the ratio of cars I sit in at dealers and cars I buy is something like 1 to 1000.

2. Your car's a 2001. I'm sure there's been at least 2 people who asked to buy your car over the years.

3. No, the 4th gen Camaro wasn't desirable in the marketplace. Sales went into a freefall in 1998, and never recovered. Camaro SS sales remained stable, but even in the new GTO's worst year it outsold the Camaro SS. Corvette outsold all V8 powered Camaros in the 2002 model year, despite Camaro having an extended model year run.

Even if Camaro was popular in your area (if I remember, Camaro's strongest markets were texas, Florida, and here in California), as Scott pointed out once, just because it's popular in your area, doesn't mean it's a success.

Buick Lacrosse is quite popular in and around Detroit, but it's basically on life support around most of the country.

And just a little FYI, ANYONE can order a sky, or a solstive, or a Mustang from the factory, wait 2-3 months, and have it for MSRP or Less. The people that pay mark-up's are suckers.
If I'm reading this the way you meant it, then you're mistaken. You simply can't order directly from the factory. You have to go through the dealer to order your car. You're not going to simply jump on the internet and order a vehicle and have it delivered to your local Chevy dealer without their involvement and without them pocketing something.

You also have to negotiate the price... just like you would if you were pulling a car off the lot. Some dealers charge a premium for this, others agree to give you a discount. The dealer's 1st preference is to sell you what he's got on the lot, since he's still essentially paying for anything sitting there. On the flip side, the car you order isn't costing him by taking space on his lot. Which way it goes depends on the dealer.

You still pay destination charge and dealer prep.

There were 42,000 Camaros sold in the 2002 model year. There's roughly 4500 Chevrolet dealers. On average, each Chevy dealer sold less than 10 Camaros over a 15 month production run (only ONE Camaro every month and a half per dealer).

With a sales rate that dead, it would seemingly be easy to convince a dealer who is getting rich selling Tahoes, Impalas, and Silverados to special order a Camaro for you for some spare pocket change since by that time, most dealers (outside of the few areas) treated Camaros the way Superman treats kryptonite. They refused to order them for their lots, and when they did, it usually was a loaded up SS where they would get a decent profit whenever they did sell them.

But dont ever say that they CANT BE HAD without a 10k mark up, that is ignorant, and not even close to the truth.
Depends where you live and how far you're willing to travel and what type of markup you're willing to accept. Early on GTOs were going for $10K markups. Unless I drove from Monterey California to Tolleson Arizona, I couldn't find one at list.

Sure $10K is extreme and at the far edge of markups, but it's foolish to think that a brand new, high demand, hard to keep in stock model is going to have no markups, even if you special order it. At least till production catches up with demand.

Last edited by guionM; 04-04-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Early Camaro ?