2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Does anyone here have LED tails installed on their Camaro?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Re: Does anyone here have LED tails installed on their Camaro?

found these at summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANN-321208/
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
^ AAC "afterburner" taillights are not exactly the same as the concept. What they have is a ring of leds. What the concept looks like is that it has a half a circle panel with LEDs in front of another light.... It's a different look all together.

WildVette,

Sorry for highjacking the thread... lol
there were some ive seen somewhere, that are basically the same as the concept. they can be used as the afterburner look or as regular. ill have to see where i found them and who makes them. but from the distance, they looked great, just like the concept.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 AM

the side markers look interesting... the taillights? honestly what do they offer over the current stock set up?

Now, if you can find replacement taillights that replicate the concept look:

You would be selling it like crazy...
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
aac makes lights like this already. and their US based.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburnesale.aspx

Thats a pretty huge difference. One has deptch and looks like an afterburner. The other just has a half ring of LED

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-28-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Well to comment on where things are made I am 99% sure the GM OEM tail lights are not made here in the U.S.A.

60% of all Corvette parts are made in Canada and most of the electronics come from Japan.

Escalades are assembled in Mexico.

I would love to buy American made, but the reality is that many products just simply cannot be made as inexpensive if they are made in the U.S.

Especially items made with plastic.

I refuse to carry a garbage product which is why I had a very long discussion with Pacesetter before offering their products about how they have been changing and attempting to increase their quality.

You will not be seeing my carry Corvette "Depo" headlights for this reason. I also won't be carrying OBX, although it is a very easy sell when compared to American made headers that cost twice as much.

I'm trying to be as selective as possible so you guys don't end up with a crap product, which is why I'm on here asking to see if anyone has any experience with these lights yet.

Any way you cut it, I'm going to take care of the customer, but I would prefer not to have a bunch of upset customers I need to take care of.

I even did some research on a local carbon fiber part manufacturer and after reading numerous complaints about fitment decided to seek other companies, even though plenty of people were happy with the product.

If I wouldn't be willing to put it on my car, you won't see me selling it.

Now back to topic, does anyone have these?

On an upside at least we got some posts and conversations going.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Thats a pretty huge difference. One has deptch and looks like an afterburner. The other just has a half ring of LED
no $hit its a big difference. its not supposed to be exactly like it. its the same concept though. im sure a fraction of the price that it took to fund the design of those taillights.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by WildVettes
I'm trying to be as selective as possible so you guys don't end up with a crap product, which is why I'm on here asking to see if anyone has any experience with these lights yet.

Any way you cut it, I'm going to take care of the customer, but I would prefer not to have a bunch of upset customers I need to take care of.

If I wouldn't be willing to put it on my car, you won't see me selling it.

On an upside at least we got some posts and conversations going.
Well said. Glad to have you turning people into happy customers first rather than turning a buck.

I am on the fence as far as getting new tail lamps...so this is a good thread indeed.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 PM

^ AAC "afterburner" taillights are not exactly the same as the concept. What they have is a ring of leds. What the concept looks like is that it has a half a circle panel with LEDs in front of another light.... It's a different look all together.

WildVette,

Sorry for highjacking the thread... lol
I think so too... I really thought the reason these tail lights didnt make production possibly aside from cost was the amount of trunk space they may have taken up to achieve the look of the depth. Jason may be able to weigh in on that...

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
no $hit its a big difference. its not supposed to be exactly like it. its the same concept though. im sure a fraction of the price that it took to fund the design of those taillights.
I do not think it is the same concept... I will give you that they were going for the same look yes. Just like in this thread;

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...95#post1647195

Did they achieve it or get close enough? that's subjective... Personally in my OPINION not close enough where I would shell out money...

Now for the same concept as the concept... and I am only guessing ... because they look close to a sign that was by my work. I played around with Google. Turns out that type of sign is called Reverse channel lighting. I do not know if this is how it was done. Even if not this may be a way to achieve the look...

TAIL LIGHTS: Reverse Channel Lighting behind brake light shut off or blacked out

http://alpha-neonx.com/channel-lette...annel-letters/

BRAKE LIGHTS: Brake lights lit, Reverse Channel Lighting shut off

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-29-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM

that's some good research... i had seen that Imperial Blue Camaro and that's the best one I seen that replicates the concept's tail lights. I am still waiting out a bit for a better version...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by WildVettes
These are what they sent me.

I have those black tail lights installed on my car. BTW, they are sequential. I really liked another set by a different company that offered a really cool sequential pattern, but they didn't have a black version.

I also have those smoked side markers installed.

I am VERY happy with both products!

Last edited by Camaro2SSRS; 09-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM

that's some good research... i had seen that Imperial Blue Camaro and that's the best one I seen that replicates the concept's tail lights. I am still waiting out a bit for a better version...
Thanks! It took a little while to figure out what it was called.

To me the After burners look better than stock, but the stock does not look bad. A company or person could do a really good job getting close to the After burners but not be them.

At that point I would have to remind myself even if its close to take a step back and do a fresh comparison against what you already paid for, (stock tail lights) and decide if what you are looking at is worth the money or wait until something better is developed. I think I agree with you

Worst case senario, you have stock tail lights for the life of the car...

...which aint bad

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Im big into lighting and fabrication of. The concepts tail lights definately look like reverse channel lighting. To make the neon glow, they most likely, but not necessarily used a red cold cathode tube/halo ring hidden behind the flat led circuit board that make the brake light. A matte very light silver housing would pick of the glow of the cathode tube and make uniform color, unlike chrome. I have not tried this effect before, but...imo, it would be easier and a helluva lot less complicated than trying to create the afterburner effect with leds. Cathode tubes are thin, as would be the circuit panel for the brake/turn light. I cant see it adding to much depth. I am surprised the "someone" or the aftermarket has not tried this in the way you brought up 5thgen69camaro . Good call btw.

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 09-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Im big into lighting and fabrication of. The concepts tail lights definately look like reverse channel lighting. To make the neon glow, they most likely, but not necessarily used a red cold cathode tube/halo ring hidden behind the flat led circuit board that make the brake light. A matte very light silver housing would pick of the glow of the cathode tube and make uniform color, unlike chrome. I have not tried this effect before, but...imo, it would be easier and a helluva lot less complicated than trying to create the afterburner effect with leds. Cathode tubes are thin, as would be the circuit panel for the brake/turn light. I cant see it adding to much depth. I am surprised the "someone" or the aftermarket has not tried this in the way you brought up 5thgen69camaro . Good call btw.
Thanks! I love figuring stuff out like that. Being seemingly the first and being appreciated makes it even more exciting. Sounds like you know the details behind it. Maybe if its not expensive you can play around and reproduce it? Hell you might be the first one aftermarket to offer the look reproduced.

So depth isnt a problem.

Would it be expensive?

Would it be heavy?

My assumption is if not depth then price and or complication of something that needs to last and be under warrenty might be the reason it didnt make production.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

90 Z28SS,

So, the question is.. do you think you can replicate it?

Maybe WildVettes and you can work together on a prototype??? and I am sure 5thgen69camaro and I would be interested in some form of Beta testing?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

That would be AWESOME. And will they ever sell! Hoo boy will they ever sell...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
That would be AWESOME. And will they ever sell! Hoo boy will they ever sell...
I agree....

(attempt at not letting this die)