2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
understandable. but the LS7 may not be SAE certified for european markets, i don't know. Not sure how that works exactly. Maybe they have different standards to how they come up with what a horsepower is. But in the US, they make 505 hp +-1%.
You have SAE and DIN HP #'s
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Slightly different. In addition to the metric versus non-metric hp confusion, the DIN standard is a little different from SAE, but EEC looks closer.

http://www.autozine.org/html/0_spec.htm

JIS is apparently the most optimistic.
but HorsePower is so much more sexy than KiloWatts
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Slightly different. In addition to the metric versus non-metric hp confusion, the DIN standard is a little different from SAE, but EEC looks closer.

http://www.autozine.org/html/0_spec.htm

JIS is apparently the most optimistic.
Wow, never knew about EEC & JIS ... dang different standards, see this is where Britain let the world down - sun never set on the british empire, they get all soft on the locals and look what we have now - the metric system, SAE, DIN, JIS, and EEC, ect.... sigh .... with a firm grip at the helm it could have all been just imperial
Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Gee Jeff, read the beginning of my post. I'm talking about the Camaro Z06, Z/28 - not the Camaro GT500, Z/28.
I see that now, however you weren't very clear that you were commenting on changing the formula of the planned Z28 with an alternative formula. You made it sound like Z28 is "on hold", which last we heard isn't the case.

On the other hand, I see the 5th gen as more of a Monte Carlo replacement, (with some Camaro styling elements). Can you really spin a "REAL" Z/28 off of that? And should you even try?
Come on Charlie, that's a little bit of a low blow is it not? After all the Monte Carlo was a FWD fat pig and the Camaro is a RWD drive one.

As I said in the "business case" thread (link), I want my Z28 to be the best performing Camaro ever and able to slay the competition. I really don't care if its naturally aspirated or forced injected as long as it performs. Furthermore, if it is designed and engineered around its girth issues, weight can be less of an issue than some folks perceive. I see very few folks with an engineering or technical background that see weight as a problem that cannot be worked around. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I seriously doubt it.

Does anyone know the weights of a loaded LS7 (with the dry sump oiling system) vs. a loaded LSA? I doubt there's that much of a difference.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM

I agree with Guy's comments. That being said, I think the people looking for a supercharged Camaro will have options at their local dealer (well, maybe not their local dealer but at the big city dealers). It would have a warranty, but probably not the full GM 100k warranty. This way the car still gets made and doesn't count against GM's CAFE.

A lightweight Z28 takes planning from program start to be successful (read: economical) and won't make it into this cycle IMO. I do think in hindsight it would have been the best choice, even if it cost more and didn't result in huge HP numbers.

Then again, maybe they'll surprise us all. If they had planned weight savings to help offset the LSA, maybe they can s-can the LSA, throw in a tuned LS3, and keep the weight savings. That would make many people on here (myself included) pretty happy.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
...... General Motors comes out with a roughly 525 horsepower, 190 mph, 12 or 13 mpg Chevrolet Camaro.
Which is exactly what I (and others) did NOT want to see from the top Camaro.

With this whole excess weight/fuel economy thing, I feel like we're heading down the road of negating some of the great strides that performance cars have made recently in destroying myths about them. Namely, a performance V8 must get horrible mileage. You should see the looks on people's faces when I tell them my LS1 routinely gets near 30 mpg on road trips. 8 years after that car goes out of production, we're back to under 20 mpg? I know the reasons, but the general public doesn't -- we're right back to perpetuating the stereotypes of an "irresponsible, gas-guzzling" community. That isn't the way to sell these cars.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Then, in the middle of all this, when they actually get the government to have second thoughts on stiff CAFE standards.....

...... General Motors comes out with a roughly 525 horsepower, 190 mph, 12 or 13 mpg Chevrolet Camaro.

That would be funny, awesome, and long-term detrimental all at the same time.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
but HorsePower is so much more sexy than KiloWatts
Yeah....kinda makes me want to install an aftermarket microwave in it.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM

i dont know why everyone really wants a GT500 fighter, i've only ever seen two of them on the road ever. Why fight a car that barely even exists.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
Yes, the ZR1 has big heavy wheels, a heavy supercharger, but yet it's actually faster than it's lighter counterpart; the Z06. And yes, the ZR1 is faster in both acceleration and around a road course. But yet, it weighs...more.
It also costs more than double what a Z28 should cost.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 PM

On the other hand, I see the 5th gen as more of a Monte Carlo replacement, (with some Camaro styling elements). Can you really spin a "REAL" Z/28 off of that? And should you even try?
Dude, we are now all dumber for having read this pitiful statement.
You should really stop now. You're really looking foolish and petty.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
I dearly hope this is so. Perhaps then I / we will begin to enjoy your wonderfully insightful posts. Until now they have all been a total disappointment and given the title, are truly deserving of a place in this thread.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 07-30-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
You should really stop now. You're really looking foolish and petty.
Ah screw it. I deleted my post on this, but perhaps this requires some response.

One of the reasons I come here, is that even if I disagree with someone, if they make a good point, I can get something out of it. Even maybe learn to appreciate a different point of view.

Your posts however are just plain stupid -time and time again. You bring forth no point of view or support for it. You just keep coming back with truly time wasting, negative posts. Maybe....just maybe, you might want to give us your opinion in a polite, concise and organized way. Then I could respond in kind. That's what discussion forums are all about.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM

and now we are back to plain old bickering at each other.
back on topic...
not everyone is going to be satisfied no matter what direction they go in. if they go N/A then people will complain about it noting being FI...and the other way around.
want a light car? don't order ANY options, and strip out the interior.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Look guys, I honestly think that finesse as a solution to a performance criteria for the new Camaro went out the window about 300 lbs. ago.

It's gonna need a huffer, or a seriously nasty direct injected LSx variant to up the game to where the performance benchmarks are going to be.

A good handling, lighter Z28 that gets a$$-packed by GT500's at the dragstrip is a guaranteed loser.

Quick Reply: Disappointed.