2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Disappointed.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 PM

So the consensus is the Z/28 should be more Z06 than ZR1.

But should it also be more Cobra R or 03-04 Cobra? Meaning should the Z/28 have the radio and back seat removed and w/o AC or other weight adding but not speed needed ammenities? Stripped down performance first Camaro or a still a street car with more power but everything the SS has. I just don't see where weight will be dropped unless GM gets very creative.

Also a massaged LS3 would work just fine at say an advertised 450-475hp N/A.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
I have enormous interest in a "Z06" Camaro and exactly zero interest in a "ZR1" Camaro. Price isn't the issue. I could afford either one.
Even with the added weight of the supercharger and 20" wheels, the ZR1 is still significantly faster than the Z06.

I think a lot of you guys are getting too hung up on weight.

I have no problem with a supercharger on the Z28 if GM takes some weight reduction measures along with it, just as they did with the ZR1.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
Even with the added weight of the supercharger and 20" wheels, the ZR1 is still significantly faster than the Z06.

I have no problem with a supercharger on the Z28 if GM takes some weight reduction measures along with it, just as they did with the ZR1.
X2!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
X2!
Yea, I think some members on this forum are driving each other to the point of delusions.

It's to the point where people are now saying "I want a slower car just because it weighs less". I think this concept of "weight = horrible" is burying too deeply into people's subconscious.

Yes, the ZR1 has big heavy wheels, a heavy supercharger, but yet it's actually faster than it's lighter counterpart; the Z06. And yes, the ZR1 is faster in both acceleration and around a road course. But yet, it weighs...more.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM

And I think a lot of "you guys" that complain about "us guys" still don't get our point.

It is not all about sheer speed.

Yea, I think some members on this forum are driving each other to the point of delusions.
So because my (our) wants are perhaps not in line with the mainstream, I am (we are) delusional. Gotcha. So much for any model outside the mainstream. The buyers of Z06s, Bullitt Mustangs, Ford Lightnings, SRTs and 911 Turbos are all delusional because their wants are not represented by the majority of the customer base, right?

It's to the point where people are now saying "I want a slower car just because it weighs less". I think this concept of "weight = horrible" is burying too deeply into people's subconscious.
Yes, I want a more balanced car. In my experience, I have found such cars much more enjoyable to drive. Those are my wants.

Yes, in what I do with my cars, weight kills. Period.

Yes, the ZR1 has big heavy wheels, a heavy supercharger, but yet it's actually faster than it's lighter counterpart; the Z06. And yes, the ZR1 is faster in both acceleration and around a road course. But yet, it weighs...more.
Life is not a drag strip. Life is not a road course. Who needs 600+ or even 500+ horspower in a street car? No one except those trying to compensate for some sort of personal "shortcoming".

Life is much closer to autocross however, and can be used to make a point here.

Question - In SCCA Solo competition the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 are both classed in Super Stock. However, much MUCH more often than not, the C5 is the better of the two and is more than a match for the C6.

How can this be? (Hint - I'm not trying to make a point about weight here)

Last edited by Chewbacca; 07-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Having an extra 130 hp helps on a road course, on an autox course I am guessing things would be much different.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS

But should it also be more Cobra R or 03-04 Cobra? Meaning should the Z/28 have the radio and back seat removed and w/o AC or other weight adding but not speed needed ammenities? Stripped down performance first Camaro or a still a street car with more power but everything the SS has. I just don't see where weight will be dropped unless GM gets very creative.

Yes, and I think that it would benifit more then just the Z28, but the Z06 as well. If the Z06 gets the LSA, that means the coolness and NA powerd of the Z06 will be gone, as well as the weight will increase.

A direct injected V8, one that is hand built with high end equipment for the Z06, one built to not so exacting tollerances for the Z28, could make 490-530hp and give both these cars who were born from the track, a solid heart.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM

you guys miss the point of the z28.

If the camaro so much TOUCHES the vette price range I will pay a tad more for a base vette than a top dog camaro!!!!! I rather have the ls3 on 3300lbs than an ls7 on 4000lbs with a worse chassis (not hydroformed) , and of all... its not a vette.

Even still... the vette will be an overall better buy in the end. Higher resale value and better performing overall. The base vette is SUCH a good car that the camaro will not be able to compete with it. If it does, GM will not actually allow it and in the end... They will end up competing with themselves.

Same thing happened to late madel 2002 camaro's / TAs SS's. They touched the vette pricerange and at least here, they took a HUGE while to sell.

The Z28 must be in such an affordable pricerange that I doubt with all the things that everyone is asking to reduce weight and add performance that it will NOT touch the Base vette's price range.

An LS7 is a $15k engine. With all the exotics it possess its a really underpowered engine (detuned). If a base ls3 makes 436hp that would equal 492HP in a regular trim. So i think the LS7 is super detuned at 505 or 512hp that is what they actually output on the dyno (430-440rwhp).

So, unless we get a cheaper version of the ls7 like the lsa is to the ls9, well... I don't see an ls7 happening on a camaro and if it happens it will be too expensive to execute unless GM decides to loose money on the car just to have a rolling publicity.

I am a go for the bigger style engine and having a 7L on my maro would be a dream come true. But be it for pricing and what not on a new car/insurance and whatever cost associated with it, it will be difficult.

Last edited by Highlander; 07-29-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm not disappointed at all.

It's pretty clear that a Z28 is on the way, it just won't be there at the start of production. Which is standard operating procedure, and a good marketing move. Bring it out after a bit and it renews interest in a car. Just like a styling refresh, only more so.

My bet is on the Z28 having the LSA, or LSA equivalent engine, like the CTS-V. I suspect it will be a touch heavier than the SS, due to the supercharger and intercooler, and whatever else they have to beef up along with the motor. And I suspect it will be awesome

My 4th gen, relative to many other vehicles, is a big, cigar shaped, Cigarette boat of a car. Personally, I didn't start liking Camaros and Trans Ams because I wanted a lightweight sportscar. I like them because they are flamboyantly styled fighter jets for the road. And it seems that the 2010 will continue this tradition in grand style.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

I just hope the GT500 is still around in a couple years so I can get my LSA powered Camaro. How many of you who are crowing for a lightweight whatever powered Z28 will actually road race/autox it? What would the market be for a stripped down corner carver vs. a fire breathing ground pounder? So many seem to be hung up on Z28 heritage but seem to forget about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens. How many of them were lightweight factory road racers in the "spirit" of the 1st gen Z. From what I can remember, none of them. So thats 3 years out of 33 years of Z28s (none in 75 or 76). Those who want a lightweight V8 5th gen, strip an SS down and enjoy.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I'm not disappointed at all.

It's pretty clear that a Z28 is on the way, it just won't be there at the start of production. Which is standard operating procedure, and a good marketing move. Bring it out after a bit and it renews interest in a car. Just like a styling refresh, only more so.

My bet is on the Z28 having the LSA, or LSA equivalent engine, like the CTS-V. I suspect it will be a touch heavier than the SS, due to the supercharger and intercooler, and whatever else they have to beef up along with the motor. And I suspect it will be awesome

My 4th gen, relative to many other vehicles, is a big, cigar shaped, Cigarette boat of a car. Personally, I didn't start liking Camaros and Trans Ams because I wanted a lightweight sportscar. I like them because they are flamboyantly styled fighter jets for the road. And it seems that the 2010 will continue this tradition in grand style.
I'd almost think that when we hear what the LS7 is being replaced with, that that may be an indicator to what a Z28 (or whatever name) will eventually get. It's been like that for a long time, where the little brother get's the big brother 'Vette engine. The weight doesn't concern me too much as long as the chassis is tuned and engine will be able to offset it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS

Maybe a better analogy would be that the Z/28 should be more Camaro Z06 rather than Camaro GT500. A lighter Z/28 would be great, but I see two issues:

1) Zeta has it weight baked in it's structure. It's no easy feat to lighten it substantially. Certainly not by the amount we'd want, and certainly not for the money that GM would spend on a Z/28 program. So that's a problem.

2) Unless we're talking about a small car or small SUV on Gamma or Delta, or the Volt - many or most programs at GM is currently on hold, in review, on the backburner or just plain cancelled. Someone would need to fight to make the case for a Z/28.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Unless we're talking about a small car or small SUV on Gamma or Delta, or the Volt - many or most programs at GM is currently on hold, in review, on the backburner or just plain cancelled. Someone would need to fight to make the case for a Z/28.
I'm sorry but did not Scott and Jason already tell us that the Z28 is not on hold.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM

GM might want to see what the 2011 Mustang is all about before releasing a Z28. That would be fall of 2010. I dont think a Z28 will come out before then.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'm sorry but did not Scott and Jason already tell us that the Z28 is not on hold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed.