2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did GM's Retro look kill top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Did GM's Retro look kill top speed?

I was looking at some pictures and thought about the aerodynamics of the car, even with 400 hp I wonder if it'd be as fast as an ls1 camaro with its much more aerodynamic nose.
I know, you'll probably never see top speed in your street car but is nice to know it can do it.

pat
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Looked fine on the wind tunnels on future car Im sure GM wouldent make that kind of mistake
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM

Aerodynamics has less to do with the "smooth piontyness" of the body then you think.

From what I understand, and engineers correct me if Im wrong, but I think it has more to do with the front profile, how the air comes off the back of the car and the smoothness of the underside.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

It might be a little less because the profile of the 4th gens will be so much lower than the 5th.

Top speed's biggest enemy is drag when you get deep into triple digits. The amount of power required to go faster increases exponentially at those speeds.

IIRC, the SLP Canada guys got a 99 Hawk into the 170s on a banked track.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
It might be a little less because the profile of the 4th gens will be so much lower than the 5th.

Top speed's biggest enemy is drag when you get deep into triple digits. The amount of power required to go faster increases exponentially at those speeds.

IIRC, the SLP Canada guys got a 99 Hawk into the 170s on a banked track.
I actually brought this up in another thread a few days ago, but I couldn't find a link to prove it. I do remember this though. With just the limiter removed, the Hawk went 170 or 171.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Aerodynamics has less to do with the "smooth piontyness" of the body then you think.

From what I understand, and engineers correct me if Im wrong, but I think it has more to do with the front profile, how the air comes off the back of the car and the smoothness of the underside.
This is what I've always understood. This is why the 3rd gen is more aerodynamic than the 4th, a fact that shocked me when I first learned it.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by RussStang
I actually brought this up in another thread a few days ago, but I couldn't find a link to prove it. I do remember this though. With just the limiter removed, the Hawk went 170 or 171.
The article used to be available on the internet, but the link has been removed from the magazine's site - I believe the name of the publication was Canadian Motoring and the article was a top speed comparo between an F150 Lightning and a '99 Hawk.
I've met Umberto Bonfa a number of different times (former sales manager for SLP Canada) during our club's tours of the Ste Therese plant and the old SLP facility in Lasalle, Quebec and he definitely confirmed this information shortly after the test took place at the Blaineville, Quebec banked oval. Yes. the speed limiter had been removed from the Hawk. Somewhere in my collection is the actual magazine. If I ever get my hands on it, I'll scan it and post it.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 AM

The third gen had a cd of .36, 4th gen .34. Shocked me when i read the 1998 Cadillac Seville had a lower cd than the Camaro. Still, the 5th gen has a much taller front end. It'll be interesting to find out. I don't get the car magazines; sometimes they tell cd, sometimes they don't.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Bert02SS

Sad to say, what the look of the new Camaro killed was a sale to me! (But I love my SS.)

Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
Sad to say, what the look of the new Camaro killed was a sale to me! (But I love my SS.)
Umm.... ok. I must have misread the topic of this thread as I didn't think it asked whether or not you will be purchasing a 5th gen becasue of its looks.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by Casull
Umm.... ok. I must have misread the topic of this thread as I didn't think it asked whether or not you will be purchasing a 5th gen becasue of its looks.
That's why it was "Sad to say . . ."

Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sselie
The article used to be available on the internet, but the link has been removed from the magazine's site - I believe the name of the publication was Canadian Motoring and the article was a top speed comparo between an F150 Lightning and a '99 Hawk.
I've met Umberto Bonfa a number of different times (former sales manager for SLP Canada) during our club's tours of the Ste Therese plant and the old SLP facility in Lasalle, Quebec and he definitely confirmed this information shortly after the test took place at the Blaineville, Quebec banked oval. Yes. the speed limiter had been removed from the Hawk. Somewhere in my collection is the actual magazine. If I ever get my hands on it, I'll scan it and post it.

Best regardSS,

Elie
The magazine was called WORLD OF WHEELS and the issue wasNOV99 and they used a Hypertech PP 3 to raise the rev limiter to6300rpm,but even more impressive was the263km w/98 t/a w/ a4. (jan98)
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by RussStang
the Hawk went 170 or 171
it was a little higher than that. closer to 175
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by canuck94z28
The magazine was called WORLD OF WHEELS and the issue wasNOV99 and they used a Hypertech PP 3 to raise the rev limiter to6300rpm,but even more impressive was the263km w/98 t/a w/ a4. (jan98)
Thank you! Your memory is a lot better than mine is!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Disciple

I'm no engineer, but the Cd is just one number. Total frontal area is the other.

So even though the new Silverado may have a lower Cd than the C4 it still has more drag.

If the 5th gen is taller and just as wide as the 4th, it would need to have an even lower Cd to match the drag, and top speed with the same HP. I tend to agree with Z28PAT that the Camaro team is giving up some aerodynamics for styling considerations. However, it would not surprise me if crash standards, and European pedestrian crash rules aren't also playing into the equation.

Quick Reply: Did GM's Retro look kill top speed?