2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did the pics meet your expectations?
I was expecting better.
26.06%
Exactly as I expected
26.06%
Better than I expected.
47.89%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Did first impressions meet expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: Did first impressions meet expectations?

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28

Charlie, I can see you Mustang comparison in the rear flanks, I thought I saw more XLR there.
I definatly see XLR in the rear quarter. I don't really see any Mustang in it except for the similarity in that old 60's style design.

Speaking of that old style design, I wonder if the drag coefficient would take a hit.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 AM

I'd really love to see a rear fascia treatment and tail lights similar to Kris Horton's green concept.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Very well done. Much better without the watermarks now. The only thing I would suggest, and this is very general...It would have been nice to see cues from other gens. I put down that it exceeded my expectations.

Can't wait till January to see the real thing!!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM

I really like the concept. Can't wait to see it in metal. The only thing that I'm a bit unsure about is the rear. There's just something not right there imo.

-Mike
Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Speaking of that old style design, I wonder if the drag coefficient would take a hit.
Without seeing the underside, I'd say it will to some extent. You've got a high positioned open area across the front in addition to a long, horizontal hood and those deep set rear vents. None of that is as sleek as the 3rd and 4th gens.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 AM

i voted I was expecting better because from what I had heard about it - it was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well I liked EVERYTHING about it except the rear end. Even though the overhang looked correct, by the body lines it looked like someone had taken a sawsall and chopped a significant piece of the rear end off because the body lines on the side just kind of end - it looks incomplete. The grossly streched (top to bottom) bumper with no depth, nasty tailights, and lack of any type of a spoiler only further degrades my feelings about the rear fascia. The exhaust tips didnt bother me much, but they dont say "camaro" to me either... in fact nothing about that rear end says "camaro" to me. (just to clarify, the rear quarters do, Im liking the overall design there minus the fact they seem chopped off) That, if anything, is what i would like to see improved for NAIAS. The rear end looks like it just 'wasnt done' and im praying im right on that.

AGAIN - i stress that i am DROOLING when it comes to the rest of the car, the rest of it is about what i wanted to see - a little strong on the retro, but thats OK by me because it looks good which is what is most important to me.

Edit: another thing i dont like, but I know wont change is the gold bowtie on the back. I dont know why but I think the Gold bowties only look right on trucks, i feel they look cheap on cars. A blue or red bowtie would look so much better IMO.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 12-08-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 AM

I think 'undewrwhelmed' best sums up my first impression Even though I tried to keep my expectations from getting stratospheric after waiting 4 years, I'm still feel like "That's all?"
Old 12-08-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'd really love to see a rear fascia treatment and tail lights similar to Kris Horton's green concept.
I agree. The rear is a mess IMO. It is a concept though.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 AM

I like the progress so far and look forward to the show car.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 AM

If the grille is giong to look like that, is there a possiblity of hide-away head lights?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
I agree. The rear is a mess IMO. It is a concept though.
A complete mess. And since theoretically, that's the view we'll want everyone to have (esp, Mustang and Challenger)......I'd like it to look awesome.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 AM

I can't make a judgement off the only pic I have seen so far.....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM

What an awesome Christmas gift.

Thanks GM!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM

It was better than I expected. I was thinking something along the lines of the G&G picture that Crispey had last year which I thought was too rounded off and not mean enough. This is MUCH better. Its got enough modern flair to offset the retroness of it. I was afraid GM would make it a slab sided hunk of car like the new Mustang which has no sexy curves or lines IMHO.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Well, I want to reserve judgement until I see the real thing.....

But I was expecting better.
Yeah, that pretty much sums me up, too. While looking better IMO than the Challenger or the Mustang, there's isn't really one panel I wouldn't touch. The vents on the sides need to go, the nose needs to be softened, and the tailights look plain squashed. But they got the stance right, the silhouette right, and I do like the character lines and wheel arches on the sides (save for the lower character line).

Again, I will wait until I see it in person...but I expected less retro. If Camaro came out just like that in '08 or '09, the press and enthusiasts in general will welcome it back, but will have a field day with the "me-too" nature of going retro...

Quick Reply: Did first impressions meet expectations?